AnsweredAssumed Answered

FPS drops, stutter and occasional freezes in all games RX 570

Question asked by superhdninja on Nov 17, 2017
Latest reply on Nov 20, 2017 by flapjack

As it says in the title, I'm having issues in all games where I would get drops in framerate in all games once things would get just a little more graphically intensive in the game, I get drops to the low 50's and 40's (sometimes even lower). That is when I limit the FPS in-game to 60. If I leave it unlocked, the game feels like it's stuttering and even though I'm seeing figures in the 90FPS or more, it certainly doesn't feel like it when I'm playing. I get the same drops too when the FPS is unlocked but even worse, it freezes sometimes. Now the real problem is that everything looks good on paper: temps are generally low (doesn't get above 75C), the clock speeds stay the same throughout, so it's not throttling. It's not a CPU bottleneck either since I have the Ryzen 5 1600 and it stays at around 30% usage most of the time so no issue there either. What's interesting is that sometimes there is nothing wrong: everything runs smoothly with no issues, and this usually happens either when I restart my PC or I uninstall some driver and restart. I feel like I've tried everything yet I still get this inexplicable bad performance that shouldn't happen with my GPU. Re-installed drivers, did clean installs, tried different versions...

I attached a screenshot of BF3 at Ultra settings 1080p where only in the spawn screen I get dropped to the 40 FPS mark which is ridiculous with this GPU (Numbers from MSI Afterburner)

SYSTEM:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ stock speeds

RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667

MOTHERBOARD: MSI B350M Gaming Pro (MS-7A39) BIOS Version 7A39v25

GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RX 570 4GB OC

DRIVER: Radeon Crimson Relive Version 17.7.2 (Relive not installed)

PSU: EVGA 500W 80+

DISPLAY: AOC 1920x1080 IPS monitor 60Hz

Outcomes