13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2017 11:04 AM by black_zion

When your CPU cooler prohibits your GPU choice...

black_zion

So, with the Vega 64 Liquid models finally getting back in stock, and the Fury Nano still commanding >$300 on eBay thanks to the cryptocurrency market, I have been keeping an eye on it if it were to go on a good Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale. I just now happened to think about if I could actually fit it in my case. The Corsair C70 isn't exactly a small case, but as you can see, there is a bit of a space problem thanks to the H115i's rigid tubes, only about 5/8 inch of space between the rear fan and the tubes. Rotating the pump is not an option (down would hit the GPU, right would hit the RAM, and top is just a nightmare), and flipping the radiator isn't an option. Mounting a radiator on the side panel is also not an option either because the H115i's tubes barely clear the side fans.

Here's hoping Navi brings a massive efficiency upgrade.

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Re: When your CPU cooler prohibits your GPU choice...
          qwixt

Looks like you can rotate the CPU heat sink portion 180 degrees so that the hoses are towards the front, which might allow you to bend the tubes more toards the front, and give you enough space to put the vega 64 LC's cooler in the back exhaust position.

I have a Le Grand Macho heatsink, and I can't even put a regular exhaust fan in the back because it is so large, but I have plenty of space on top of the case. With the stupid pricing back for the vega 56, I have been mulling over the 64 LC version, and perhaps undervolting + OC. Put I tried the fury X, and I thought it was once too loud for AIO liquid cooler based on my experience with CPU AIOs. Then it had whine and a strange noise periodically when waking from sleep. Since I have to place it at the top of my case, I will hear every noise it makes easily. My guess is that it's the exact same cooler used for Fury X.

black_zion

Nope, that's the only way it can fit without impinging on something else.

black_zion

Hoping it goes on a Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale for around $400

qwixt

It's stuff like this that concerns me in reviews, "Speaking of loud, our liquid-cooled Vega 64 suffered from a buzzing coil whine when sitting on menus or the Windows desktop."

That sounds like it could be pump and there is no fan noise to drown out the sound when idle. Believe it or not, I gave in and ordered that card minutes before you posted. I finally got another TDR on my nvidia card and said enough is enough. I am still trying to isolate the issue, and I may cancel yet if I can't duplicate it within a day, and then hope to get a black friday deal like you.

black_zion

Sadly that's been my experience with many Sapphire cards, thankfully not with this Fury Nano which is quiet as a whisper thanks to it's 175w efficient design. The more I think about it, since I'm going to have the fan behind the radiator (negative pressure always through a radiator) it can ßutt up against the hoses without fear of damaging a fan blade, but it's still going to have to be a heck of a deal, around the $400 mark, to make me put up with the abysmal power draw, but with Navi so far off and the cryptocurrency market a big question mark as to when that will implode (hopefully explode and put a dent in some of the financial markets so this garbage won't happen again), about at the point where I have to upgrade now.

And yes, b-u-t-t- is an offensive word but hell isn't, imagine that.

bearcat22

I've got a bet going with one of my buddies you'll buy a Vega64 before the end of the year. Even if it is arguably one of the worst cards AMD\ATI ever made. You yourself said it's the HD 2900XT all over again. Except there's alot of other cards out now. They just don't say AMD.

qwixt

I know you were not talking to me, but every review I read I go why the heck am I even looking at this thing. It's a loud 1080 + 100 watts and more expensive.

It just shows how desperate I am for freesync and to hopefully resolve the nvidia tdr situation on my machine. lol

black_zion

Yup, I said it, and it is the worst card AMD has made since the 2900XT. However, if you read other posts you will see that I say that price is everything. As it is it's only $20-$40 less than the vastly superior GTX 1080 Ti it makes zero sense for the majority of buyers. The only way it makes sense is if you are buying a brand new monitor as well, where the $200 price difference between Freesync and G-Sync comes into play, as you're looking at a 5-10 year electrical cost savings based on the prices in your area, but for people who are only upgrading their video cards, just to make up the 25% performance difference it needs to be $525, then factor in $20 additional cost per year based on 5 hours of gaming per day at 13¢ kWh. Also, I'm only considering it because the Fury Nano is commanding $300 on eBay these days, cutting off $250 of the net price. A 40% performance improvement for a net cost of $200? I can handle that.

qwixt

I watched an undervolting video, and even the slightest adjustment to vcore can cause the 64 LC to pull an extra 100 watts with extra power set to +50%. I think he adjusted the vcore up by 0.1 volts as a demonstration of what can happen.

That video showed me that it's probably impossible for custom cards to improve anything significantly. Basically, you drop power, increase core speed which increases power draw, and it's basically a wash. Either way, you end up with horrible power efficiency and 1080 for a 1080 ti price.

So like you mention, it all becomes about freesync and avoiding the $200-$300 surcharge on gsync, which has a lot of issues at times.

Fyi, I did try canceling the order already after confirming that the TDR issue is related to using a chrome variant browser. So I switched back to firefox as my main browser, which just got an overhaul with version 57. It's much better now.

qwixt

Based on how pricing is going stupid again, I think black friday sales will simply mean retail prices.

black_zion

The liquid cooled edition is special in that regard as it is immune to these wacky prices from cryptocurrency miners, since it doesn't give them any additional hashes per watt. Prices are more affected by the packaging issue causing shortages still after 3 months, Amazon has fewer than two dozen globally. Now maybe with Raja gone AMD can go after Navi full steam. Remember, Vega was supposed to have AI specific features which are highly desired in the professional space right now, and they don't, they won't make their appearance until Navi. nVidia Volta, however, does, which endangers AMD's presence into a rapidly growing emerging market, and not even Project 47 can help that.