3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2017 8:23 PM by goodplay

Is My Work Station Compatible with Vega 64?

mappa40

Goodmorning everyone,

I was trying to figure out if my HP Z640 Workstation is compatible with a VEGA 64 card.

I have a power supply with 90% efficiency at 925 W, active PFC

The other problem is that I see that the only available pin for power supply is n.2 of 6 pin. you can convert the two 6 to 8 pin (with an adapter cable)?

Can anyone help me?

Thank you!

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

• Re: compatibility for AMD VEGA 64
          packard93

Yes your computer is compatible with vega 64 . Follow directions you will need to read your manual and disable the onboard graphic card when u plug your  graphic card to the pci express slot for it to send video from the vega 64. I recommend a pci express 8 pin adapter . This power supply will supply it just need adapter. Get  yourself a dual 6pin female to  1x 8pin males-l1600.jpg

specs

750-Watt Power Supply (Suggestion)

2 x 8-pin AUX Power Connector

64-bit operating system highly recommended

CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive for installing software

PCI Express 2.0 or higher version based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard in order for the card to be compatible with

• Re: compatibility for AMD VEGA 64
            mappa40

Thank you for your answer.

Can you tell me why the card has two 8 PIN inputs?

Immagine.jpg

• Re: Is My Work Station Compatible with Vega 64?
                goodplay

The card needs 2 x 8 pin(150W ea.) pcie connections due to power requirement of card.

I do not know how the power from the HP PSU is distributed, but having only 6 pin cables(75W ea.) it's possible there is insufficient power capable of being routed to PCIE safely.

Ask HP support what the psu is capable of (and/or post a query on jonnyguru.com forum).