9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2018 1:04 PM by spitwspots
      • Re: Can i crossfire my r9 fury x with the vega 64 ?
        black_zion

No.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          colesdav

AMD CrossFire™ Compatibility Chart

Used to be where you got information on what could be Crossfired.

That article is very out of date.

It needs updated for R9 300, R9 Furyx/Fury/Nano RX400, RX500 and Vega ...
          I asked for it to be updated.
          Bye.

kilobit81

AMD has moved to MGPU and no longer supports Crossfire. MGPU is similar but allows different GPUs to run in Tandem on Windows 10

black_zion

You are incorrect. They have shelved the term "Crossfire" as it only applies to DirectX 11 and earlier, not to DirectX 12 and Vulkan. They are still supporting Crossfire for DirectX 11 games which support Crossfire.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                    colesdav

Hi,

I do not know what PC Setup you have at the moment but I do not think you have tried Crossfire DX11 recently or else there is something wrong with your driver installation if you do have a pair of GCN 1.0  or above AMD GPU's which are compatible then Crossfire should be working for you.

When RX480's were launched, Crossfire DX11 and MultiGPU DX12 was emphasized as a way to counter Nvidia GTX1080. Ashes of the Singularity DX12 MultiGPU was a demo of interest to show new DX12 support and performance on Dual RX480 versus a single GTX1080.   Much work was done to support new AAA titles on Crossfire DX11 and MultiGPU DX12.  Crossfire DX11 and MultiGPU DX12 Users on other AMD Cards have benefited from this. My experience running Crossfire DX11 and MultiGPU DX12 over past 2 years has generally been very good on supported titles.  There have been some disappointments such as Mass Effect Andromeda, where Crossfire Support was bad and it was then disabled completely.

Before RX Vega was launched there were some demos showing AMD running a pair of Vegas in Crossfire on Prey. Then when RX Vega was launched, Crossfire was to be "de-emphasized". Initially RX Vega cards did not have driver support for Crossfire. That might have been due to power consumption issues. As far as I understand it, Crossfire DX11 on RX Vega is working now.

AMD Still support Crossfire DX11 and it works on the very latest Adrenalin Driver.

I can also run three R9 Nanos in 3DMark Firestrike series tests in Triple Crossfire (TriFire) on 17.11.4. with no problems at all.
                    I will be testing Firestrike on Adrenalin Driver next.

I have just tested a number of supported titles in DX11 Crossfire with Adrenalin Drivers. They work fine and scale well for me.  The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt, PREY, etc ...
                    MultiGPU DX12 is also supported.
                    Some titles run well. - such as Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Ashes of the Singularity / Escalation  does allow me to run an Nvidia GTX780Ti with an R9 Nano but it runs badly as does Dual R9 Nanos last time I looked.
                    Ashes MultiGPU DX12 on R9 Nanos is broken last time I looked with R9 Nanos it produced negative scaling / no benefit over a range of benchmark resolutions and graphics presets.
                    I will be looking at that again later this week

Bye.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        spitwspots

I also have an R9 Fury X.  I came across this thread because Im upgrading my system to the new threadripper CPU and was hoping to boost my GPU performance.  It made the most sense to do some kind of crossfire set up.

As mentioned earlier the crossfire compatibility chart is way out of date and it's hard to get a clear answer as to exactly which cards are compatible with what.

So after reading this thread I have 3 questions.

1) What cards ARE crossfire compatible with the Fury X?

2) If windows 10 is supporting it's own multi GPU does crossfire even matter?

3) What would be the best (most cost-effective) way to improve GPU performance? (Specific card to pair, replace with new card X, ect...)

colesdav

1) What cards ARE crossfire compatible with the Fury X?

R9 Nano, R9 Fury, R9 Fury X.

2) If Windows 10 is supporting it's own multi GPU does crossfire even matter?

Yes. Absolutely Crossfire Matters if you already have more than one AMD GPU that is compatible to be crossfired already. 

For Windows.

===========
                            Crossfire applies to DX11 games. There are many games which support this compared to DX12.
                            MultiGPU applies to DX12 games. There are few games which support this. In fact there are still not that many DX12 games.
                            Also there is Vulkan which has no MultiGPU Support at all as far as I know. You can pretty much count the number of Vulkan Games that work on 1 hand.

Generally AAA MultiGPU / Crossfire support has been much better since RX480 launch.

3) What would be the best (most cost-effective) way to improve GPU performance? (Specific card to pair, replace with new card X, ect...)

Depends what you do with them. If you have AMD Fury X and have no objections to it start mining Etherium.

I am currently considering doing this based on price / lack of availability/ AMD driver support on Linux and Blender.

My most up to date cards are R9 Nanos at present.
                            I have other AMD cards down to HD7970 GCN 1.0. 
                            If you do not need OpenCL 2.0 and you are not a miner, just a gamer / Blender User.

Sell all of your AMD Fury X cards on Ebay or somewhere to miners before mining bubble crashes.
                            I believe they can get a reasonably good Etherium hash rate. The fact they are water cooled should be useful for mining rig.
                            Right now the R9 Nanos I bought last year at low cost have already increased in price by 50%. People have started to buy/sell those for mining so the price has gone up.

I would buy a Zotac GTX1080Ti 11GB Mini (650-680 new where I am as of yesterday). Cheapest RX Vega 64 8GB I could get is 900  (which is ~ 30% slower at same power draw on DX11) ... is an AIB card (Sapphire/MSI/ASUS/PowerColor).
                            There is also supposed to be an XFX Vega 64 AIB card but I have not seen that for sale anywhere.

The MSI Vega 64 seems to be a branded Vega 64 reference card with a blower style cooler, so that is not of interest to me.

The Sapphire/ASUS/PowerColor AIB Vega 64 cards seem to be  large and very heavy  because of the cooling requirements.
                            I do not want an Air Cooled AIB Vega 64 though.
                            The only one I would think of buying at all would be the RX Vega 64 Liquid. That was overpriced at 700 if you ask me.I have no serious price for those now (some are on Amazon for 1500...). Sellers here are stating they are EOL. Most higher end  AMD cards (RX480/580/Vega 64) are out of stock here anyhow, bought for mining probably. There is also Vega 56 but I don't know if they are real here. They were starting to show up on preorder. I think they compete with the GTX1070, but the GTX1070Ti are probably a better choice.

Nvidia GTX1080Ti 11GB is better than 8GB. As far as I know HBCC on RX Vega 64 does not work/is not enabled last time I checked and HBCC is not free it uses your System RAM anyhow). Nvidia supply up to date drivers for Window 10, 8.1, 7 and Ubuntu 16.04 Linux, and definitely support their older cards like GTX780Ti with new features and updates. I think AMD have dropped some aspects of GCN1.0 card support.

Other than that you might want to hold off a bit longer. I was going to hold off to see if RX Vega 64 refresh on a different process was going to come out this year and hopefully address the Performance/Power issues and therefore size/cooling requirements/cost of the original Vega 64. I do not think there will be a refresh this year based on what I read, which is really disappointing.

The other option you have is wait to see what Nvidia come out with this year.

I think they were going to release "Poor Volta" but I do not think that will happen this year for gamers, as I do not think they have enough  competition from AMD in gaming. They just might do a Pascal refresh this year, or maybe just leave their line up as it is until AMD catch up again.

Bye.

2 of 2 people found this helpful