16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2017 2:01 PM by amdmatt

CPU Usage dropping randomly causing Frame drops - AMD FX 8350 (Black Edition)

nottoblame

So recently I've been noticing since putting in some new RAM that I get sudden frame drops while playing games like Call Of Duty: World War II, Final Fantasy XIV, Just Cause 3, PlayerUnk and other games as well. Frames dropping from around 80-120FPS down to 30FPS and sometimes even as low as 10-15FPS for what the most part, seems like no reason at all. This happens quite frequently during a session with it occurring once or twice within a minute and each time, lasting 5-10 seconds. Now before I used to only have occasional quick freezes due to not having enough memory but they would only be for a split second.

Here's a list of all of my PC specs

Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3

CPU: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz

RAM: 32GB 4x8GB Corsair CMY16GX3M2A1600C9R Vengeance DDR3

Previous RAM: 8GB 2x4GB Elite+ TPKD34G1600HC11BK DDR3

HDD: 1TB Hard Drive

SSD: 500GB Samsung 750 EVO

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

Here's what it does -

For this I just sat on top of this building here on Just Cause 3 and did nothing, Before this I was getting 95-100FPS then when the drop happened I took a screenshot of my entire screen with Task Manager on the other monitor and brought it in the screenshot. As shown the usage drops down to 30% and will stay like this for a few seconds and will be stable. Also my speed drops down to 1.3GHz and then will resume back up to 4.02GHz.

Frame Drop.png

YouTube video showing the drop in more detail of what's going on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psIOjfboc9k

I've noticed a couple of people having these issues as well but not found an answer to fix this. Was hoping if we can make this post an answer for the people searching for it.