26 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2018 1:48 PM by bretab

Multiple 'Radeon Settings' System Tray Icons

r3conik

Hello, I've got this bug where it randomly will add an extra system tray icon for AMD settings (normally happens randomly when restarting the computer).

I had got so many extra icons until I had 4. These icons do not disappear when you hover the mouse over them and operate all the same.

Driver version: 17.11.1

GPU: R9 380 4GB

After having my OCD irritated for so long of seeing these icons I decided to do a fresh install of Windows 10 to find out whether it was a corrupt install of Windows 10 or a bug in the AMD drivers. Sadly, tho doing a completely fresh install it did fix this issue. After waiting a night booting my computer up, here is the result:

Untitled.png

I did not experience this issue until updating to version stated above for my drivers.

EDIT:

I also checked task manager, and each icon has it's own process. So this potentially could lower performance if it keeps duplicating.

• Re: Multiple 'Radeon Settings' System Tray Icons
          locodicegr

You have insider version of windows 10? If yes..thats the problem...

r3conik

Forgot to state what Windows version. I'm currently on the Fall Creators 1709 update. I simply installed updates, nothing special so don't see why I'd be put into the insider edition. Plus if that's an issue with Windows, why doesn't it do it with other tray icons?

roxor

Hi dude its me again. I think the other dude was assuming you had the insider edition, but again I have the exact same windows 10 version and build you have and again rolling back to the last known RX 480 stable driver (17.7.1) completely fixed the issue for me. On a side note, AMD just released a WHQL version of the latest driver (17.11.1) BUT I haven´t installed it yet and I don´t think I will to be honest until the next WHQL version, since a beta version doesn´t change radically from the WHQL in my opinion. Again, I am good for now with 17.7.1, system is running good, the AMD settings in the tray has not gotten corrupted nor a duplicate so I´d advice you to give it a shot and if it also works for you, leave is as is until a more stable version and several of the ongoing issues are fixed. Best regards.

roxor

Having the exact same issue on Windows 10 Pro...roll back to driver 17.7.1, every other driver after that one has been a mess for me not only for that particular issue, but for several crashes on some games. Rolling back to that driver solved all my issues.

1 of 2 people found this helpful
                  ray_m

This is an issue being caused by a new Windows 10 FCU feature. We're looking into it.\

Fix AMD software being launched on every Win10 FCU boot causing multiple instances because of new windows "Continuity" feature

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    kdh1198

I've done some testing, and it looks like a short-term fix is to set the task that starts Radeon Settings (StartCN) in the task scheduler to "Stop the existing instance" rather than "Do not start  an instance" under the "If the task is already running" setting. I can not guarantee this will work for everyone, but after some restarts and shutdowns it seemed to stop the program from running twice for me.

EDIT: A better, more reliable fix for this (Credit goes to goodplay) is turning off the "Allow use of sign-in info to set up my computer after updates" setting in the Windows settings. This will prevent the new FCU feature of loading the profile before logging in from happening, resolving the issue for now.

persiomenezes

I am NOT in the insider edition. I am in the regullar version of the Windows and I  am gotting the same problem.

spiritwalker

This has not been solved with latest update...did clean driver update (17.11.14) and still have 2 system tray icons and 2 instances running.

Had this problem many moons ago but was resolved between some windows or GPU driver update.

Guess old habits die hard...

PS: Any news on fixing World of final fantasy's missing textures???  Seems to be another AMD issue only...
                        Guess one has to own both manufactures now an days; heck after the past few months of issues with AMD/Radeon I think it's time to upgrade

Was gonna stay with AMD and have been waiting but they have nothing to offer in terms of worthy upgrades from R290X (RIP)...RX580  LOL PFF...rebranding will only get you so far...

So in closing...Work with developers and fix your frustrating recurring issues please...

ghen

i use newest windows 10 update, still have this problem, and probably a bit worse than TS had

1.png2.png

roxor

Yeah I can also confirm I still have this issue. I have the last Windows 10 and AMD 480 driver update. My issue is not as bad as yours though, I only get it as a duplicate, but damn. I wonder when they are planning on solving this issue and don´t even know if its AMD´s or Microsoft´s fault but this issue has been up for like 2 months or so now.

ghen

it seems the non-whql 17.11.4 fixed it,i clean install  it, now i only have 1 instance on the tray and task manager

but other problem still persist tho, when i open the radeon settings, theres 2 window pop up, the setting panel itself and this weird blurry panel, when i close the setting, it seems the blurry panel wont automatically close and can't be close, need to manually kill it from task manager

hibiskus

Just popping in to keep this issue hot, I'm also having the same problem, only I have five processes running now... I'm also running win 10 pro, fully updated, gpu driver 17.11.4. Alredy did a clean install of the amd driver, no solution. 

radeonhost.jpg

I also have the "blurry panel overlay" thing.

radeonblur.JPG

Any news on a fix?

roxor

Hi there, I was going to say to make sure you have the latest Win 10 update that was released this week. I noticed that you said the driver you have is 17.11.4 on your AMD GPU...BUT there was also a major driver released this past week. I would encourage you to do a clean install of this new driver (Adrenalin Edition 17.12.1). Hope it works for you, have not had this issue since I updated it BUT it can come back. All I ever had was an issue if those settings showing up twice but not more than that. Give it a try.

locodicegr

Update your windows 10 -> Use Latest DDU in safe mode -> Install 17.12.1

1 of 2 people found this helpful
                                                hibiskus

Hey, I've finally had time to fiddle with it, and win update + DDU + latest driver does indeed seems to solve the problem. I've waited a few days, tested it a bit, and it did not come back. So yeah, thanks.

I hope though that this is something a simple update (both on the windows and amd driver update front) can solve, beacuse I belive there are a lot of ppl out there, who won't even notice that something gone fishy, let alone have the skills to solve it manually.

EDIT: Now I get bsod errors. Great Definetly since driver update. Will create a new post for it if I can't solve it.

reberclark

I took the advice of disabling fast start up (windows 10 64 bit) and it seems to have solved the problem for me. Does the newest driver 18.2.1 solve the problem with fast start up? Thanks.

milossolim70

Start  > Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options > On right side find Privacy and uncheck: Use my sign-in....... Restart PC

Duplicated icons are the smallest problem you also have duplicated system processes that burden the work of computers and cause a periodic restart ....

omunall

I'm just making an account to say privacy settings in accounts was what i'd gone to, but didn't see the new gui (win 7 was what i've been used to and still miss XP) anyway this works. It makes sense because it's attempting restarts and refreshing. IF you ever have windows lock up on you where you need to power down turn OFF fast start up. It's an old dvr problem programmed by good ol microsoft. Also if you have games crashing open the task manager and kill tabtip or touch (depends on what you're using but mine says touch keyboard. Kill these on things like kingdoms of amalur. The symptoms will be the game runs for a bit and force closes for no reason. This is if Microsoft hasn't fixed this. I've not seen the issue in awhile since they started really putting games into the store. But I buy from steam so that's cool.

cipacci

So it was solved? There is a solution? I bought a new notebook for a couple of weeks and I have this problem too.

This morning there are 4 icons ...

Thank you

bretab

Hi,

I know this is an old thread, but check the Windows Task Scheduler. You may have one or more "StartCN" entries there. Just right click and "Disable".

After that, you should have only one AMD icon in the System Tray. I believe that one is started by the amdkmdag service.

HTH. Please reply to let the community know if this is a good workaround. it worked for me.

Regards . . .

drpsych0piroman

seems to be a fix for me, altho now there are no icons appearing, it used to be 9 icons and 8 seperate processes. It does look like a solutio but iwould like to know more about the srevice i just disabled do you have any links to what "StartSN" actually does

P>S> thanks i saved my self a gig of ram somehow, never tought the app could draw that much

bretab

Hi drpsych0piroman,

I don’t have links for StartCN, but I just googled and there’s info there.

Note that the scheduled task runs:

“C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\cncmd.exe“ startwithdelay

I’m seeing that on an Asus AMD mboard with a X4 845 CPU (not a GPU) and RX 550 graphics card installed. OS is Win10Pro.

Also – Note the “AMD External Events Utility” in Windows Services.  That loads atiesrxx.exe . Search for info on that too might help.

Sorry I don’t have more for you to go on.

Regards . . .

P.S. You said you don't see any tray icons now. Run the AMD Radeon Settings in the Start Menu. Under Preferences at the bottom, there's an option to "Enable System Tray". That will get an icon back. Or, just enable one of the StartCN's you already disabled.

P.S. Getting back ~1G ram is really good! I didn't even think about that aspect of this issue.