14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2017 3:59 PM by 9rune5

Legacy driver pulled from Windows Update

9rune5

https://community.amd.com/docs/DOC-1313 states: "These graphics products must be installed using display driver version: 8.970.100.9001. This driver is provided as a courtesy and only available via Windows Update.".

But last week this driver disappeared for Windows 10, and was replaced by a newer driver that does not work properly for my HD 4890 card. So now I cannot set a proper resolution (2560x1600) and video acceleration is disabled.

Please post this driver someplace else..? (or repost to Windows Update)

(I was on the Slow Ring of Windows Insider builds. Hoping that the Fast Ring may see updates faster, I switched to it, but driver updates in Windows Update seem to come independent of the current build of Win10. Switching back to a previous installation let me keep my working driver for five minutes before Windows Update promptly replaced it)

• Re: Legacy driver pulled from Windows Update
          black_zion

You need to go ask on Microsoft's forums, but they're just going to tell you to upgrade your video card to one which fully supports Windows 10 FCU.

alleyviper

This is the original WU cab file with DriverVer=01/13/2015, 8.970.100.9001. That's from my backup: link

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                9rune5

Very kind of you alleyviper.

Unfortunately, it seems MS changed something fundamental recently. The error report says "Windows could not copy all of the files needed to install this device driver software. This sometimes happens when the driver software was not designed for this version of Windows.".

I realize my GPU is very old, but I was hoping to delay upgrading my hw for a few months more. We have moved into a new house and I need to balance my budget a bit before going all-in on new CPU+GPU.

black_zion

The RX 550 is only about $100 and over 50% faster than your current card, though if you don't have a UEFI motherboard you can't use it.

alleyviper

That's really strange. I'm using them on a HD4890 (an early XFX HD4890 XXX with reference board/vrm except for 8+6pin and black pcb) under W10 16299.19 x64 without a problem (can be installed solo via device manager or over a w8 13.x legacy driver to keep CCC and opencl features that come with the optional amd sdk app), and the direct link to them on MS still works 32 64. The checksum is the same as the previously uploaded 64bit file.

It could just be that those drivers aren't compatible anymore with Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17xxx, so they fail to install and don't show anymore on WU due to outdated WDDM compliance (these drivers originate from an older 12.4 branch). Your best chance with that card should be to reverto to W10 16299.xx.

Also, if it becomes impossible to install drivers for HD2-4K on later W10 version, that's a real problem for integrated graphics like the HD4290 +128MB on my 890GX.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          9rune5

Apologies, I must be a bit slow.

I used Windows Explorer to extract files from the cab. I got a bunch of files, but in a flat directory structure.

7-zip saw things a little different and I have finally returned to 8.970.100.9001 running at 2560x1600 like I'm used to. Oh, and video acceleration works again. Lovely.

Thanks for the many helpful nudges.

(and yes, a thorough hardware upgrade has been moved further up on my list of priorities)

alleyviper

Great news. If you wish to have control over a few other options, I'd recommend you to install the legacy package 13.1 or 13.4 for W8 under W10, and then update the driver to the above via device manager. By that way you'll keep the CCC which is useful for aa,af vsynch settings on old games, have the amd sdk app which still accelerates some older opencl stuff, and they also contain the audio driver which has to be installed manually.

The 13.1 Control Panel has extended video quality settings missing from the 13.4 CP (or w7 13.9), but they aren't applied in most content such as .264 anymore, that's the reason it was removed on later packages. It only affects stuff like mpeg2 or mpeg4/divx.

Usually it's required to install first the 13.1/13.4 package with its older driver, restart, and then update to the W10 driver to let it create the necessary registry entries for the CP to work with the later driver. If I install the 8.970.100.9001 first and then an older driver package by selecting everything other than the driver, the CP won't show all options.

atlasminor

What your going to want to do :

Keeping shortest explain possible, but when win10 first pushed out as 1507, it upgraded everything, people got worried, but solution was created. Your going to want to grab a copy of a Win10 1507 (LTSB).

This is not a common known solution, and is hidden under there Servicing Branch Timelines, but what it will do is ( lock) your PC to 1507 forever granting LTBS security updates FOR THE NEXT 10 YEARS,  W/o Feature Upgrades and the ability to Disable Updates forever if needed... It is a special Windows-10 outside anything else.

That being said you can research more info on what a LTSB version is , but the short def is :

Windows 10 LTSB omits a lot of the new stuff in Windows 10. It doesn’t come with the Windows Store, Cortana, or Microsoft Edge browser. It also omits other Microsoft apps like Calendar, Camera, Clock, Mail, Money, Music, News, OneNote, Sports, and Weather.

In fact, the default Start menu on Windows 10 LTSB doesn’t even include a single tile. You won’t find any of those new Windows 10 apps installed, aside from the Settings app.

How Can I Get It?

Windows 10 LTSB is only available as part of Windows 10 Enterprise. And Windows 10 Enterprise is only available to an organization with a volume licensing agreement, or through a new $7 monthly subscription program.

This is what me and a lot of other people with inbetween systems or systems that great but didnt meet the FCU update requirements have turned to, either this or purchase a new system. Microsoft wont budge on reverting the new standards they have now in place. Its a bad deal for just about everyone except 2018 customers and beyond, TBH

Hope that helps some.

hartlenb

Any chance you could upload the driver package again?  MS' Fall Creator update hosed my system.