5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2017 8:09 AM by isu

HD 4850 Windows10 dual monitor boot issue

isu

Hi everyone,

I have  a Windows10 dual monitor boot issue.

Graphics Card: HD 4850 (good enough for 2D, since I gave up FPS gaming after 20 yrs or so...),

• two DVI monitors
      • driver: 8.970.100.9001 (by AMD 01.13.2015.) windows downloaded this
      • win 10 Pro 64bit,
      • extended desktop

Everything worked fine for a long while, but since the latest windows automatic update (build: 15063.608, no other changes in hardware, drivers) I experience this:

BIOS boot : OK, mirrored on both monitors

Win boot: under the Windows logo + spinning circle phase before the login screen the primary monitor loses signal and goes to sleep, the secondary is dark, but working.

(Win boots from SSD in less than 10 secs, so this is not a time related issue)

If (with no signal on the primary screen) I do a "blind" login, the secondary  monitor comes alive with the background, but still nothing on the primary

If I unplug the primary monitor data cable and re-plug it, everything goes back to normal.

Changing ports, cables, monitors did not solve the issue.

I was advised to change to driver 15.301.1901.0, but it doesn't work for me, if I install it or later choose it under driver update , I end up with the MS basic display driver, so I have to opt back to 8.970.100.9001

Please advise!

Thanx

• Re: HD 4850 Windows10 dual monitor boot issue
          black_zion

That card does not meet the minimum requirements of Windows 10. You can change to Windows 7, or upgrade your video card.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              isu

Alright then, why had it been working so far?

I have been using this videocard with windows 10 ever since 10 debuted.

Different configs, same videocard, same driver, dual display, a variety of monitors.

No issues at all.

So I bet the minimum requirements is not the root of the problem.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

isu

Believe it or not, the very latest Windows automatic update (build: 15063.726) solved the problem, the previous one generated.

kingfish

No surprise there....

Driver Support for AMD Radeon™ HD 4000, HD 3000, HD 2000 and older Series

Article Number: GPU-624

ATI Radeon™ HD 4000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4000, ATI Radeon™ HD 3000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3000, and ATI Radeon™ HD 2000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 2000 Series Graphics reached peak performance optimization in October, 2013.

No additional driver releases are planned for these products.

The last operating system supported using the AMD drivers was Microsoft Windows® 8 with the AMD Catalyst 13.1 driver package, which can be downloaded from the AMD Driver page : http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Driver support for these products under Windows® 8.1 and Windows® 10 is only available via Windows Update. Please enable Windows Update to allow it to automatically detect and install display driver version 8.970.100.9001

If your system is equipped with one of these products, you may consider the following options:

• Continue using the last operating system that fully supported your graphics card.
                    • Upgrade to an AMD graphics product that provides Windows® 10 support. For information about resellers and product availability, visit: http://shop.amd.com
                      • NOTE: Before upgrading ensure that your system meets the requirements of the graphics adapter, such as:
                        • Motherboard with compatible graphics card slot
                        • Adequate power supply unit to handle the complete system power requirements
                        • Display with compatible connections