5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2018 11:37 PM by pokester

When is amd competent enough roll up there sleves and reign over the 1080 ti competition?

packard93

perfwatt_2560_1440.pngRadeon-RX-Vega-64-3DMark-Fire-Strike-Ultra-3DMark-Time-Spy.jpgamd-radeon-rx-vega-64-fire-strike-ultra.png

Everything leads to 1080 ti Leading by 6722 while amd trails at 5327

perf per watt 164 percent for 1080 ti vs vega trailing at 134 percent. 1080 ti winning .

BF 1 1080P.jpgWITCHER 3 1080P.jpgROS 1440P.jpg

project cars 1440p.jpg

• Re: When is amd competent enough roll up there sleves and reign over the 1080 ti competition?
          black_zion

Before you go and blame AMD for being incompetent, better do some basic research. While nVidia may have a higher effective memory clock, 11008mhz vs 1890mhz, AMD's HBM2 uses a 2048 bit bus whereas nVidia uses a 352 bit bus, resulting in an effectively equal memory bandwidth, 0.6mhz difference.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • Re: When is amd competent enough roll up there sleves and reign over the 1080 ti competition?
              packard93

AMD just incompetent and unwilliness to reply back since I posted is a clear enough statement . With all there locking my content out sure noted . Amd has not made a reasonable comment or statement just continually removing me off there forums . I made a fact to show the end results . So that is y this remains open topic.

dancer42

first you are comparing two very different things the nvidia card and the amd card are aimed at different targets amd for the price of 1 1080 ti you can almost buy 2 vegas so for the comparison to be fair you would need to run 2 vegas to get a dollar for dollar test and the cell structures between nvidia and amd are quiet different so it is hard to configure a test that is not going to favor one over the other in the details so if you look a little more evenly at what the strengths and weaknesses are in both cards you will find that the vega does a lot more than half of what a 1080 ti will do at just a little more than half the price.

pokester

Maybe you have read the forum rules and what these forums are for? If you are expecting AMD to respond to you here, it could happen as a few guys from AMD do stop in, but it is not their job they are users here like you an me. These are community forums, the support on these boards, is the support of fellow users that may already have answers to common problems. If you are looking for AMD to engage with you in problems, then you need to open a support ticket. I understand this is not very clear for a newcomer and certainly fault AMD for that not being more clear, we see it all the time. I just don't want you to miss out on help you never really asked for, but clearly think you did. Please open a support ticket here: Email Form

----------

Now from the road maps that are out right now we are looking at a year or two before they have a real 1080 ti competitor. By then Nvidia will also have long had a new line out so no knowing where that leaves things.

Realistically AMD has never been one to try and cater to the bleeding edge of performance on any of there products. I think they have been pretty happy when it has worked out in the past the HD 4xxx series and HD 7xxx in recent history were darn strong competitors. But the truth is that nobody is making much money off the the highest end enthusiast parts. They make the money off what sells in volume. Yes it would be great to have a full line of competitive cards, but not having that doesn't IMHO make them incompetent. I would also add that AMD cards typically get better and better as they age performance wise as driver mature. So their longevity has often been better than the green team, allowing many to skip a generation or two of cards. Apparently the game console makers are pretty happy with the competence level of AMD too.

So I get that you opinion differs and you personally feel disappointed that the latest flag ship product isn't on top, mind you it's not that far behind, and will likely improve greatly as real direct x 12 and Vulcan engines begin to saturate the market finally. Unwilling, nope I am pretty sure they are willing to make chips and that this hasn't been an exercise in futility and definitely couldn't call it incompetent either.  Honest a lot of what makes the green team look good and what kills AMD is that AMD often tries to innovate too much and has driver and products that just aren't ready for prime time. I think this last couple of cycles have been exactly that, I also think they know this and will do much better with Navi. Don't hate on AMD too much, without them Intel and Nvidia have no competition meaning high prices and no innovation required.