1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 8, 2017 10:48 PM by black_zion

Does "Full RGB" Pixel Format have ANY impact on 3D gaming performance compared to YCbCr 4:4:4 / 4:4:2 ?

fragment

Yeah, title says it all I hope.

But can someone explain the technical background. Because in my understanding a GPU has to "work" harder for Full RGB, doesn't it?
      So is it that much harder that it would affect 3D gaming?

Or is that Pixel Format not relevant outside of 2D desktop ??

Thanks!

PS: Also to all guys at AMD / RTG ! I am very happy with Vega and you're doing a good job, it really has to be said!

Message was edited by: Peter Balesio

• Re: Does "Full RGB" Pixel Format have ANY impact on 3D gaming performance compared to YCbCr 4:4:4 / 4:4:2 ?
          black_zion

If there was any difference in performance you'd hear all the Counterstrke people who are obsessed about playing in tiny resolutions at insane frame rates scream about it and probably try to come up with hacks to lower it farther. Subsampling cuts down on the data sent which to the monitor which allows for higher refresh rates using the same connection since HDMI 2.0 is still pretty limited in bandwidth and HDMI 2.1 won't replace all the HDMI 2.0 devices for a long while, which is why you can see, for example, TV's list their capabilities as

1. 4K @30Hz 12bit 4:4:4

2. 4K @60Hz 8bit 4:2:0

2 of 2 people found this helpful