4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2018 7:20 PM by pokester

rx 480 8 gb second displayport not working

tixtreme

Hi there,

First of all, excuse me if my english is not all that great. I am from the Netherlands so it is not my main language.

I have a problem with my MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8 GB and i can't seem to find it after searching and testing for almost 3 weeks now. I hope you guys can help me.

Before i used 2 screens and this worked out fine:

- BenQ XL2420t 144hz (displayport)

- Medion 1920 x 1080 60hz (HDMI)

Since 3 weeks i have bought a new main screen, Iiyama GB2783QSU, 70hz AMD freesync, 2560 x 1440 (via displayport), my second screen (benq) does only work via hdmi and is not working with displayport.

I think the problem is the outmost displayport connector because no matter which monitor or cable i use, the displayport most to the right is not working.

I tried the following:

- uninstalling drivers with ddu and reinstalling them from AMD

- switching cables (even bought a new one)

- starting up with one screen on the displayport most to the right

- power cycling and resetting all screen related settings in both monitors and PC

- installed latest windows updates and directX settings

- installed previous version of drivers

- installed MSI game center, control center

- tried it with and without radeon software

So i don't know what to try more and i hope someone can help me or maybe tell me how i can determine if the port is maybe broken because it still has warranty.

Thank you in advance!

System specs:

Windows 10 - pro 64bit

cpu: i7 6700

Ram: Crucial sports 16gb DDR4

MB: Gigabyte B150-HD3P-CF

• Re: rx 480 8 gb second displayport not working
          tixtreme

Update and request for help:

Since i had to create a PC for work i used the parts out of the configuration above and upgraded my game pc. Somehow the problem still is there and i have send it back to the retailer twice in the last months and they say it works fine but it doesn't.

My new set-up:

Board: Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7B45) (U3E1)

BIOS:  A.30 26-12-2017

VGA:  MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X 8GB

Display: 2 x Iiyama GB2783QSU @ 2560x1440px

PSU:  Sharkoon 600w WPM

CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K

MEM: 2 x Corsair Vengeance 8192mb DDR4 2666Mhz

HDD/SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB

COOLER: BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB, Razer Orbweaver Chroma

Mouse: Razer Naga Hex V2

I have tried different drivers (all clean installs with DDU safe mode):

18.2.1 Minimal Set-up

18.3.3 Minimal Set-up

18.3.4 Adrenalin Edition (current)

- tried running screens on 800x600

- tried running screens on 50hz, 60hz, 70hz

- freesync on/off

- replaced dpport cables

- updated and clean re-installed chipset, and engine drivers

- starting up with one screen on the displayport most to the right

- power cycling and resetting all screen related settings in both monitors and PC

- installed latest windows updates and directX settings

- installed previous version of drivers (mentioned above)

- installed MSI game center, control center

- tried it with and without radeon software

I really hope someone can help me out! I am stuck and don't know what to do anymore.

pokester

Will both monitors perform properly if they are the only one plugged in? Does the card have a dedicated HDMI port or only Display Port to HDMI conversion? It looked like you had said the one worked with HDMI port but wasn't sure if that meant it was working in the HDMI port but now you are using both from Display port and it doesn't work. My thought is have you tried leaving one on HDMI port and one on Display port. I have my RX 580 hooked up like that not issue. I am driving a 1440p with Display Port and the 1080p with HDMI.

Most important is again do each work okay if they are hooked up alone?

tixtreme

Hi Pokester,

Thanks for your reply! Here are some answers

pokester schreef:

Will both monitors perform properly if they are the only one plugged in?

Yes they do, when i connect them seperately on hdmi 1, hdmi 2 or displayport 1 with all of the cables they work fine.

Does the card have a dedicated HDMI port or only Display Port to HDMI conversion?

Yes, the card has 2 hdmi ports, 2 display ports and 1 dvi port.

My thought is have you tried leaving one on HDMI port and one on Display port.

Yes and that works fine but i have got 2 x 2560x1440 monitors that work with AMD freesync at 70hz and that is not possible on hdmi. I have bought this card so i could use 2 dp port at the same time when i finally had the chance to buy 2 of those monitors.

Once again thanks for your reply and i hope we can figure out some more options

pokester

So either monitor works on either port by itself just not together. Also to make sure these are all plugged into display ports on  the video card.

One isn't plugged into the MB is it cause that can be an issue?

Looking at specs for that monitor 1440 @70 should be the correct setting for freesync and it does appear that it is limited to display port.

I gotta say I don't think you are doing anything wrong here. I think you may just have a bad port on that Video Card. I had an HDMI card crap out on y R9 380x about 6 months ago. First it stopped doing audio then stopped everything.

I think I would engage MSI at this point about the issue. I would think if you have your receipt that card should be under warranty. They also might be able to give you better advice.

I am sure if someone comes along here with better advice they will contribute too.