6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2018 9:26 PM by ldelana

ryzen 1700 bios boot hang / freeze

ldelana

hardware

- AMD Processore Ryzen 7 1700 (Zen) 8 Core 3 GHz Socket AM4

- ASUS Motherboard PRIME X370-PRO Socket AM4 Chipset X370 ATX

- 2 x KINGSTON Memoria Dimm HyperX FURY 16 GB (1x16 GB) DDR4 2133 MHz CL 14 ( cod. HX421C14FR/16 )

- Graphic card ATI Radeon 4350

- 8 x SATAIII disks

- BE QUIET Power supply 700 Watt Pure Power 10 (  80 Plus Silver )

description of the problem

System works fine when powered on but when I reboot or either power off / on the machine hangs at the bios boot screen ( that with logo and F2 to enter setup ) and this happens sometime not every time ( randomly ). When it hang keyboard not work (ctrl+alt+canc not work) and to restart the system I need to power off and power on again or reset.

This is really a problem for example when I need to reboot the server from a remote station. I tried to update bios at the latest 1001 version but that not helped, tried to reset CMOS and loaded bios default settings, nothing changed it hangs sometime after a reboot or a power-on.

repro

Though I did not find an exact way to reproduce the problem I can easily reproduce by rebooting more times during hours ( sometime it restart correctly, sometime it hangs ).

question

Is there a well known solution to this problem ? and if so there will be some expected BIOS update in near future ?

I would like to use this cpu for the provided performance but I need also realiability and I can't suppose that the server hangs after a reboot so in the meanwhile I'm forced to downgrade the CPU to an A12 9800 hoping the problem doesn't occurs anymore.

• Re: ryzen 1700 bios boot hang / freeze
          black_zion

I'd suggest asking on the ASUS forums, but I bet the problem is your RAM. HX421C14FR/16 does not appear on the QVL list, and Ryzen is very picky about which RAM it can work with.

ldelana

thx for the reply, I posted the same to ASUS forum board,

for the RAM

https://www.amd.com/system/files/2017-06/am4-motherboard-memory-support-list-en_0.pdf

HX421C14FB results as supported and mine

HX421C14FR exactly the same apart color coded in the last letter ( R=red B=black )

black_zion

The manufacturer of the memory chips (Samsung or Hynix) can vary between models, even if it's as little as a color difference. What does AIDA64 says the manufacturer is? If it's Hynix, that's going to be an issue ESPECIALLY with that board (I owned that board, I hated it, temperamental as an antique car)

ldelana

I found the root of the problem,

I connected 3 backplanes that power 3+3+2 disks to a single rail instead to distribute them among separate rails

WRONG:

Selection_101.png

CORRECT:

samx

Bro how you solved it? I don't understand your solution. Please reply. I have same problem

ldelana

Sure, if your system like mine you have for example 8 SATA disks,

BACKPLANE1 - DISK1, DISK2, DISK3

BACKPLANE2 - DISK4, DISK5, DISK6

BACKPLANE3 - DISK7, DISK8

Note: each backplane required 2 PATA or 2 SATA power connections

and having 3 cables rails with each 3 connectors, as shown in diagrams previous post, say

RAIL1 - SATA1_1, SATA1_2, SATA1_3

RAIL2 - SATA2_1, PATA2_2, PATA2_3

RAIL3 - SATA3_1, SATA3_2, PATA3_3

what caused the problem for me was that I connected backplane power plug in follow WRONG way

BACKPLANE1 ( require 2 power plug ) : I was connected 2 power plug of backplane with a "splitter" to a single SATA1_1

BACKPLANE2 ( require 2 power plug ) : I was connected 2 power plug of backplane with a "splitter" to a single SATA1_2

BACKPLANE3 ( require 2 power plug ) : I was connected 2 power plug of backplane with a "splitter" to a single SATA1_3

this resulted in overload of the rail so that power supply goes down in protection mode expecially in reboot phases.

The RIGHT way instead was to connect in distributed manner bearing n mind that each RAIL has a specific power dimensioning ( in my case 3 unit foreach ) :

BACKPLANE1 : to SATA1_1, SATA1_2

BACKPLANE2 : to SATA2_1, PATA2_2 ( through converter PATA/SATA )

BACKPLANE3 : to SATA3_1, PATA3_2 ( " )