2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2017 8:57 AM by ramchyld

Feedback of my experience with Crimson 17.11.1

ramchyld

Was running 17.10.2 before. Used DDU to scrub the drivers clean and installed this.

After installation I'm seeing all sorts of weird behavior. My machine would hang randomly. I would also see extremely high CPU load. And whenever I try to play anything, the graphics card would softlock (music still plays, but graphics clearly stopped updating), pressing ctrl-alt-del allows me to reclaim control of the PC and kill the game sometimes. After which, I'd see a bunch of errors about how Windows has blocked the games from accessing my graphics hardware. If the program generates logs (ie GTA V), the last entry in the log would be something along the line of not being able to initialize Direct3d. I've also noticed things like USB devices resetting since installing the drivers, when the crashes happen (Steel Series keyboard and mouse lighting promptly flickers off and back on, usb hard drives detaching and re-attaching, etc.)

I've downgraded to the last stable driver 17.7.2, and the issues are gone.

Seriously, how did 17.11.1 even get past Alpha? It's so broken it's not even usable.

Running Windows 10 Fall Creators update (1709).

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

• Re: 17.11.1 unusable
          amdmatt

Thanks for your feedback, please try our next driver when it becomes available and see how you get on.

• Re: Feedback of my experience with Crimson 17.11.1
              ramchyld

Well, I'm on 17.11.2 now. It works great, only issue seems to be minor stuttering in GTA V (ie screen sometimes tear, part of the screen would flash with an older frame).

However, I noticed that 17.11.1 has gotten WHQL. I'd like to report it has broken Enduro/Switchable Graphics as well. I have a full AMD laptop that has a FX-7600P with both onboard R7 graphics and a discrete R9 M280X GPU (yes, I am that big a fan of AMD. I picked out this laptop specifically for it's CPU and GPU). Games assigned to the discrete GPU would crash and not run.

17.11.2 will not install on the laptop. Why won't AMD let laptop users do beta testing?