25 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2018 8:42 PM by dan_e_boy

Help with problem installing crimson 17.11.1 invoked by BSOD Thread_stuck_in_device_driver

dan_e_boy

Hi, I am new to this forum so I hope I will have enough details in this message.  Here are my system specs:

Win 10 home Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299 64 bit

Processor AMD A10-7860K Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G, 3600 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Stock heatsink (with the upgraded cooling solution), stock speed

2 x 4Gb Gskill ram set to 21?? MHz speed in bios (dual channel)

Asus mobo A68HM-PLUS, latest bios

WD hard drive

Using APU graphics R7

Windows fully current and updated

Crimson version 17.7 but I'm not confident in this( you'll see later if you read on)

So here is my problem.  I would very occasionally get a BSOD with the message of Thread_stuck_in_device_driver while playing World Of Warships.  I don't game a lot but my kids play some other games and to my knowledge it has only happen a few times on Roblox.  Every time this happened, I would check for crimson updates, install them, then it would seem like it worked fine again.  Then inevitably, it would happen again, and I would repeat.  This time when I got the BSOD I thought I should look up more info to see if there is a better solution.  I was at version 17.7.2 of crimson and noticed that there was a newer version 17.11.1 available.  Instead of using the update feature in the crimson software, I looked on Google which led me to this forum.  Here I found all sorts of advice about making sure that the old version of crimson should be totally removed before updating to 17.11.1.  So I followed the advice that the AMD website and forum users had about uninstalling, then run AMD cleanup, then run DDU in safe mode, set windows to not automatically install drivers, then install 17.11.1 with all antivirus and other apps turned off.  It did not work and I got the error message 182, cannot identify hardware.  Since then, I have tried many combinations of uninstall, reinstall with version 17.11.1 and previous version 17.7.2 and they all fail and give the same error message 182.  I even once got error message 1603 but it was 4 am and I can't remember what I did to get that one.  Finally I did a system restore to the last point that I had available which put crimson at version 17.7 from the windows update service.  I know from the time stamp on the restore point that it was during the time I was having problems so I am not confident that this version is installed correctly, though for now in non game applications I have not had a problem.  Haven't tried gaming yet.  Only time will tell if this version is stable on my system.

• Re: Help with problem installing crimson 17.11.1 invoked by BSOD Thread_stuck_in_device_driver
          dan_e_boy

Because I work during the day, and playing around with updating crimson to the most current version could turn into a late night endeavour, I have been using version 17.7.  This version was automatically provided through the Windows update service.  It seems to be a July 2017 update.  I have not gamed a lot, but so far I have not experienced any BSOD on World of Warships, and my kids have been playing their games with no problems.  The BSOD message was always "thread_stuck_in_device_driver" when I was using version 17.7.2 directly from AMD.  I think that as long as version 17.7 is working fine and I don't get anymore BSOD, I will hold off on updating to the latest version of crimson until Microsoft can sort out their FCU issues.At this point, I'm not sure what else I could try to get the latest version to install without getting the 182 error code.  I will keep looking at your posts to see if any ideas come up.  For anyone else having problems with the latest version of crimson, maybe uninstalling completely and letting Windows update install its version of crimson will work for you too?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • Re: Help with problem installing crimson 17.11.1 invoked by BSOD Thread_stuck_in_device_driver
              dan_e_boy

Okay, so the weekend is here and time to play around with my system again.  Checked Asus website and noticed update to bios, so I updated it successfully.  Noticed update to chipset drivers, so I download them and double click on the setup file and this is what I see:

Now I'm confused because this looks like the graphics driver version 17.7.2 is being recommended.  Do the graphics drivers have chipset driver included with them?  So now I look up what "17.40.1031 currently installed" is and it seems to be for Crimson version 17.11.1 but as you see from the screenshot below Crimson software says I have 17.7???

And then to top off all the confusion, Device Manager is saying that I have Windows Driver Store Version 22.19.677.256 which upon searching points to Crimson version 17.9.3. ???????????  I have had no crashes yet but this doesn't seem like a good thing for the long run.  Maybe I will need to try to download all needed driver files 17.11.1, unplug from internet, uninstall all amd from add/remove programs, amd clean uninstall then reboot in safe mode, DDU in safe mode then restart normally, delete C:/AMD, install new driver 17.11.1 and see what happens.  Or should I try this with 17.7.2 or 17.9.3???????????  A little lost here, any guidance will be much appreciated.

dan_e_boy

Bump.  Anyone have any advice or suggestions?  Thanks.

amdmatt

You need to pick the middle option for the Chipset drivers, 17.10. I agree it is a little confusing and we've shared this feedback with engineering.

Chipset drivers do not include graphics drivers.

dan_e_boy

Thanks for the clarification.  So the chipset driver 17.10 has the same version format as the graphics driver which is what confused me.  So I will pick the middle option 17.10.

Now if you could point me in the right direction for the graphics driver.  This is what I see in windows hardware:

From what I can tell, this seems to be a windows driver version that is pointing to the crimson version 17.9.3.  But as you can see from my crimson software screenshot from my previous post, it says 17.7.  Basically, I need to know what do I currently have installed 17.9.3 or 17.7?

amdmatt

Download Crimson 17.11.2 and install that driver, select the middle option.

dan_e_boy

Argh!!  OK so here is what I've done so far.  1- Manually select Crimson display driver 17.11.2 and chipset driver 17.30 according to my A10 7860K APU.  2-After making sure my system is updated, disabled windows update service so that it didn't try updating crimson at the same time I was.  3- Uninstalled crimson in windows, hangs half way, wait 10-15 min then closed.  3- Ran "AMD clean uninstall utility", successful. Reboot.  4- Reboot in safe mode and run DDU, successful.  Reboot.  5- Double check device manager that AMD is not installed, delete C:\AMD folder and C:\Programfiles\AMD folder.  6- Disable Windows Defender.  7- Run Chipset driver install 17.30, successful.  8- Run Display driver 17.11.2, error 182.  9- Open powershell in windows and run DSIM and SFC /scannow, no errors found.

Not sure what is left that I can try.  Any suggestions?

amdmatt

My bad, you need 17.11.1 which has support for APUs.

dan_e_boy

I think 17.11.2 should have worked since it does show APU with R7 on the support list.  I tried version 17.11.1 anyway and followed the same steps as I previously mentioned.  This time I thought it was working because it detected my hardware and started the installation process but I got an Error 1603, incomplete installation.  When I look at the log file, it installs all components except for the Display drivers.  Tried to install previous version 17.7.2 and the same thing happens, error 1603.  Even the version installed by windows update doesn't complete successfully.  Maybe I screwed around too much and now I need to do a windows re-install?  I'm going to try to submit a ticket and see what happens.

amdmatt

Can you try reinstalling all the Visual C++ files that you see in Add/Remove Programs? That may fix the error.

dan_e_boy

Hi AMDMAT. I am currently working with Ali from AMD technical support. We

have tried your suggestion, as well as trying clean Uninstall and reinstall

of version 17.11.1, 17.7.2 and 16.9.2 with no success. I am getting error

messages of incomplete installation for everything so far. Unable to

install the video driver but other parts are installing fine. Waiting for a

reply from Ali on the next steps. I will be sure to post the solution if

and when it happens. In the meantime, if you have any other suggestions,

please let me know it is much appreciated.

dan_e_boy

Ok so I'm at the point now where I have been asked to do a Windows reset,

then try to reinstall Crimson 17.11.1.  Once I do that, Windows will

automatically try to update itself, including video drivers.  Do I need to

wait for Windows to do all the updates then uninstall tthe "Windows"

version of Crimson then reinstall Crimson 17.11.1?   Or do I need to

somehow try and stop Windows from updating the video drivers, if that's

even possible?

amdmatt

You won't be able to stop Windows from install the AMD driver, so just let it run its course and run all the needed updates. Then you can run DDU in safe mode and then install 17.11.1.

dan_e_boy

Well it took quite some time but everything is finally working as it should.  I now have version 17.11.1 installed.  I will give a summary of what I did for the benefit of other posters in the community.  First lesson I would have to say is whenever you are doing a hardware change or troubleshooting some software or driver problems, create a restore point.  I feel like if I could have restored back to the point before I tried "incorrectly" updating my drivers, I could have solved my problems a lot sooner.  Here's what I had to do:

1- Backup all my files and any drivers that you may need and do a windows reset.

2- Once windows is reset, run updates and let windows finish all updates before continuing.  (even if it installs the video drivers)

3- Download the latest compatible video driver for your device, in my case 17.11.1. and download DDU.

4- Disconnect from the internet so that when you perform the next steps, windows doesn't try installing the video drivers again.

5- Go into program manager and uninstall the AMD software. (with a clean windows this may have been enough but I wanted to be sure)

6- Reboot into safe mode and run DDU and let it reboot after it's finished.  I noticed that this time, a message came up saying something like "it will disable windows from installing driver". (didn't do that before, maybe related to my problem????)

7- Once windows restarts, then proceed to install video driver.

8- The video driver should now be installed and working.  Create a restore point because your now paranoid and don't want to take the chance of anything like this happening again.

9- Spend a lot of time reinstalling all of your other software and drivers. Set up your computer to the way you had it before.

10- Check that your games are working.

11- Now that everything is working and you have everything installed again, create another restore point so that you have a good complete working state to go back to in case you screw something up again.

12- Last but not least, thank everyone who helped in the community and AMD tech support for getting you through this.

So thank you amdmatt from the community and Ali from tech support.

dan_e_boy

I would like to point out something I noticed about the chipset drivers.  After I did the windows reset and reinstalled the version 17.11.1 video drivers, I tried to run the chipset driver file version 17.30 that I downloaded from the AMD website.  Once the detect my hardware step was completed, it shows current version 17.11.1 on the left side and local version 17.30 on the right side.  I clicked on 17.30 and chose custom installation just to see and noticed that there were 4 options checked off, AMD video drivers 17.11.1, HDMI audio drivers, SMB bus and USB 3.  I was unable to uncheck the options which I knew were already installed (17.11.1 and HDMI).  Is this a bug?  Just thought I'd mention it.  Windows installed recent drivers from 2017 for the chipset so I did not bother to use version 17.30 from AMD.

amdmatt

I agree it's confusing.

I wouldn't worry about it now, but for future reference I recommend installing the Chipset drivers first, select the middle option which says local. This is the actual Chipset driver. The other packages refer to display drivers. Once you have installed the Chipset drivers restart and install the display drivers.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                                  dan_e_boy

So as you know from my previous post, the windows reset allowed me to install the latest compatible driver (17.11.1) for my system and at the time, it seemed like everything was working as it should.  Now that I have started playing my game again for longer periods of time and more often (World of Warships), I seem to be experiencing problems still.  Although the problem is presenting differently now and may be unrelated I wanted to post in case it is related.  During game play, at random times, the game will freeze, at the same time I get a windows event sound, a message pops up saying something about sending problem to Microsoft.  I can still start the game again after I exit, and it will do the same error at another totally random time.  This is the entry in the event viewer after it happens:

Faulting application name: WorldOfWarships.exe, version: 0.6.14.1, time stamp: 0x5a204b75

Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.16299.98, time stamp: 0x9e3394c7

Exception code: 0xc0000409

Fault offset: 0x000933ab

Faulting process id: 0x18e8

Faulting application start time: 0x01d36f09bdf34df9

Faulting application path: C:\Games\World_of_Warships_NA\WorldOfWarships.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll

Report Id: bf7725e3-314d-4854-9749-3b4b33cf7e55

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

I get some hits on google for that exception code but nothing has been helpful so far.  Does anyone know if this is still an issue with the amd graphics driver or do I need to bug windows about this?

Thanks again for any help.

amdmatt

Sounds like the game is crashing outright. Is it just this game or are you having problems with other apps?

dan_e_boy

It did happen once or twice on a War thunder , my son plays it.  I just

realized what it could be and I'll try to play again later tonight. Since I

just did a Windows Reset the "sticky keys" are probably on. This would

explain the randomness. I will let you know if it works.

dan_e_boy

So I went into the keyboard settings and disabled sticky keys, toggle keys and all the other "keys" that I could find.  Played my game yesterday for 2+ hours with no problems.  Seems like that was the solution but I will know for sure if I have no problems for at least a few days.  It was the notification sound that happened as the game crashed that got me thinking that it was some sort of windows event that was causing the problem.  Since I had already turned off all the "notifications" it had to be something else.  Then on my bus ride to work the other day I remembered that a year ago when I first built my PC I had similar problems which ended up being the sticky keys and other keyboard settings.  I think normally if sticky keys happens you get a pop up and can then choose to turn it on or off but probably because the game is so intensive it caused a crash instead.  I'll reply in a few days if all is still good.

dan_e_boy

So changing the keyboard settings didn't work.  Game crashed the next time I played it.  Reinstalling the game also did not fix my problem.  So I went searching for people with similar problems on the game's forum and didn't have much luck.  Then I tried a more general search just to see if anything popped up.  Quite a few people were having problems using the "high" setting for the audio, and it was causing the game to crash.  When I checked my game, sure enough the default setting was "high".  Since I don't have surround sound there is no need for me to have it on "high" so I set it to "low".  Did not notice any difference in sound quality and I have played the game a few times without a crash.  I will check my son's games to make sure the audio is not set to high or surround.  Still doesn't fully narrow down if it is the chipset drivers or a game problem but as long as everything is working I'm fine with it.  I do not notice any problems with any of the audio application on my system.  If I ever update the video drivers again in the future, I can look at installing the chipset drivers first.  For now, happy gaming!

dan_e_boy

So the game crashed again.  Since it is the only app that seems to be crashing, and it is currently the most graphically intensive game that I have installed, I knew it had to be related somehow.  So I turned down a few of the graphic settings from high to medium and viola, no more crashes.  Guess I was pushing the integrated R7 a little too hard.  I have now had many gaming sessions without any problems or crashes.  I hope I am not cursing myself by posting that everything is now OK .

bullets

You need to revert back to the old WHQL driver. I had a similar problem. Windows does not recognize drivers without a WHQL certification. So if you update to a new driver, those WHQL files may become invalid, and it will cause a conflict with the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. So I advise the following.

Follow all the steps required to do a clean install.

Go to the latest driver and look to your right.

You will see a link for previous drivers.

Scroll down the list and find the latest WHQL driver.

Follow the installation procedures.

It may not work for you, but it worked for me. I spent months trying to figure out this problem. Even contacted AMD and they weren't much help, but I eventually figured it out on my own. I love AMD products, but man, they could make things more simple for all of us if their drivers where more WHQL compliant.

Good luck brother.

dan_e_boy

Hi Bullets,

Thanks for the advice.  I haven't been checking this thread lately because I finally figured out what the problem was that I was having.  Using the clean uninstall/reinstall procedure, I was able to successfully install the latest WHQL driver on my system, so that solved my installation problems that I was having.  Thanks to the AMD tech and AMD MATT who helped me with that.  The reason I was still getting the occasional crash even after the successful installation was due to a wrong setting in my bios.

I knew that the memory controller speed (without OC'ing)on my A10-7860K was 2133Mhz so I was smart enough to change to that speed in the bios.  What I didn't realize is that in order for the default timings to be correct for AMD, I had to use DOHC (or something close to that) instead of XMP profiles in the bios.  I guess that the games were the only apps that were pushing the memory hard enough to make it fail regular apps worked without any problems.  Also the error messages I was getting in the windows crash reports were not very helpful to me.  It took much searching to figure this one out, and now everything is working as it should.  I just had a hunch that the problem I was having was no longer related to the graphics driver.

Now my son and I play WOWs, WOT, Warthunder, Minecraft without any issues.  The APU plays them quite well but you are right, you need to play around with the game graphics settings until you find the sweet spot.  For WOW's and WOT it seems to be about mid to low level at 720p, I think it could go higher but I haven't tried to tweak it yet since everything started working.  Warthunder is not as demanding so you can go higher and same with Minecraft.  You are also right about the WHQL drivers, Windows 10 seems picky about these things.  Hope this thread can help others with similar situations.

bullets

... On a side note. I didn't realize you were just using the R7 onboard graphics. So this may not apply to you. I run a 7850K in conjunction with an R9 380X, and I was having a conflict. Again, it may be what the problem is. I play WoW's myself, and it really pushes the little APU to it's limits if standing alone. You can play WoW's, but you really have to crank down your settings. Forget WoT's though, the APU is designed more for water sports than battlefield operations, my system crashed on me several times trying to play it. Good luck and fair sea's capitan!