Steps to reproduce:
- Set desktop theme to 'windows classic' or 'windows 7 basic'.
- Load visual studio with or without solution. (I use VS 15.5.0 preview 1)
- Dislodge a docked tool window and drag it around on top of the docking areas until the system reboots. (Usually takes less than 1 min)
Other findings so far:
- Have tried different tool windows (output, find symbol results, solution, pending checkins) with the same result.
- Reproduced reboot 8 times with 'windows classic' theme.
- Reproduced reboot 2 times with 'windows 7 basic' theme.
- Have not been able to reproduce reboot when running Aero theme.
- Sometimes there are rendering artifacts around the dragged tool window just before the reboot.
- Reproducible with single monitor as well as dual monitor desktop.
DxDiag is attached, let me know if you'd find any other info useful.