4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2017 12:05 PM by ozozuz

Strange temperature after RMA

ozozuz

Hello guys, i just recived my new R5 1600 as an RMA replacement for my old one with seg-fault bug, but i'm noticing a very strange behavior.
      The old cpu was able to stay stock at around 1.15v with idle temp of ~24C , the new one is stable at ~0.97v while never dropping under 35C !
      Same thing while oc, the old cpu was able to reach 3.725Ghz (x37.25) with 1.25v, the new one with 1.17v, the old one idle a ~25 and load at 59, the new one idle at 37and load at 64.
      All this while using a very big aftermarket cooler rated for 230W Tdp, idling with the stock cooler at default settings will cause the cpu to stay at around 40-45C

Nothing has changed during the rma, same components, same settings, same everythings, already tried to install the heatsink again.

At the same time, while in bios the temperature stay easly under 30, even 28-27 and as far as i know, bios temp should be higher than idle in windows ( with idle i mean 0-1% utilization )

How is this possibile ?

• Re: Strange temperature after RMA
          black_zion

If you're using CPUz it's not reporting the voltages correctly. AIDA64 reports the actual voltages.

ozozuz

No offence at all, but how this is related to the problem i'm having ? Cpu-z shows the same voltage of hwinfo or aida64 on my sistem, same of the bios +/- vdrop.

black_zion

It's related because of the numbers you are reporting have to be reading errors. Stock voltage of the 1600 is 1.25v, not 0.97v, so overclocking on a lower voltage isn't really possible, especially when TomsHardware had to use 1.425v and TechPowerup 1.35v to overclock.

And as far as your temperatures go, they can't be correct either if you say you have a 220w cooler and your old one idled at 25°C, unless your ambient temperature was in the mid 60°F range. And then there's your load temps, 64°C? Granted I have a powerful Corsair H115i and an overclocked 1800X, but with lower voltage and two fewer cores you are reporting 100% load temps only 3°C off of mine, and my ambient temp right now is 74°F/24°C (Corsair LINK adjusts for the 20°C reporting margin and displays the correct temperature).

ozozuz

Bios confirm the voltage i'm telling you, 0.9 for 3.2ghz, just notice that 0.v is after undervolting the cpu, default is 1,03v, a stock voltage that may change from cpu to cpu. And by the way, going over 3.2ghz with less than 1.25v is totally normal and very common.
                      Yeah, loding temp for 3.725ghz 1.17v are around 63C with aida, probably around 70C with prime95 with 21C of t.Amb
                      I don't know if this could be a sensor error, no idea honestly.