5 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2018 8:06 AM by m3tho5

AMDGPU-PRO 17.40/17.30 and Ubuntu 16.04

sevhau

Hello

I have a Fury R9 on ubuntu-based linux running on a 4.11 kernel. The last driver version that i was able to install without problems is 17.10.

Both 17.30 and 17.40 have drivers integrated that were build against xorg-server-core 1.19 but ubuntu 16.04 ships with version 1.18.

The result of installing them on my system is that on startup the xserver stops with an ABI error. Suppressing these errors lead into a segfault.

I tried to upgrade the xserver to 1.19 and the desktop come up fine but then it seems that vulkan is not running properly anymore(which is my reason to install amdgpu-pro).

In an older post i found a reference from release notes that 17.30 does not support newer kernels, but in the current  release notes is nothing of the sorts. Does this still apply?

What is the setup of your test system exactly? Kernel and xorg version.

EDIT: Ok i found out that with 16.04.3 came HWE which needs to be enable manually on older installations which gives you then xorg 1.19. Could you mentation that on the install instructions for ubuntu.

And last but not least. The reason i try to update is because i'm playing DOTA2 and the new vulkan client requires the "VK_KHR_maintance1"

extension from the vulkan driver. Is this available in 17.40?

regards

Sev

• Re: AMDGPU-PRO 17.40/17.30 and Ubuntu 16.04
          brainxor

Thank you for your commends about HWE.  I installed the AMDGPU-pro 17.40 driver on Ubuntu 16.04.3 and I had the same problems of xorg seg faulting.  The way I see it, the packages are broken if their dependencies say they're OK with old xorg and don't say that they need the new HWE xorg.

sevhau

It is actually also depended of the correct kernel version. If you have a newer kernel it seems that some build fails. The installation of the package succeeds none the less.

I think there is certainly room for improvement.

m3tho5

Which version of the kernel do you have?  Ubuntu 16.04.3, kernel 4.10.0-38, 17.40, I get a monitor sleeping (not video).  If I remember right, I got this same issue with very old version of the amdgpu pro drivers when 16.04 was released.  17.10 was the last driver that worked for me.

rgonnering

The daily build of the yet to be released ubuntu 18.04 works with my Radeon RX 560 out of the box. No driver is needed.

m3tho5

Thanks. I've move to 18.04 and had to do a complete reinstall.  Hesitant to do any AMD driver installs as they pretty much create massive issues and persistent problems.  I need to get OpenCL 1.2 working now, and I think I'm about to give up on Radeons.  I hope the AMD CEO realize they should just make Radeons work with CUDA (at least syntactically).  Hire like crazy.  They need to make some in-roads into the compute libraries it's easy for people to port over code.  ROCm is limited and I can't use it on my hardware.  Just make it work with CUDA language similar to CPUs able to run C++.