2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2017 3:46 PM by ray_m

Device Manager only showing Integrated graphics and not Dedicated?

3pointsup

Alienware M17x (Late 2014 Model)

i7-4710MQ (2.5GHz)

AMD R9 290x-Dedicated

AMD HD8970M- Integrated

16GB RAM

Running on Windows 10 Home

One.PNG

Two.PNG

I'm updated to the latest drivers and have everything updated in Windows as well. It's only showing the 8970 in the device manager and I can't find the 290x being mentioned anywhere, and I can't play any games anymore. Trying to play Fifa 18 or Assassins Creed Origins causes failure due to Direct 11x issues, I looked into those drivers and I'm up to date on those as well. I've looked online for the "switchable graphics" option in the Radeon settings and I have found it nowhere. It used to be with the Catalyst Control Center, which was easy to use by the way, but instead, they've "claimed" to roll it into this settings. Well please tell me where it is located because It's not showing anywhere in mine. I've even tried restoring to an earlier point, and system rebooting to a clean install of windows and still, nothing works. And yes I have tried showing hidden devices on the device manager and still nothing, even went into the Bios to try and find the problem but it was only showing the 8970 as the discrete graphics. Send help

Three.PNG

• Re: Device Manager only showing Integrated graphics and not Dedicated?
          re-1

Did you try changing the bios switch on the gpu itself? Small switch on the edge of the card.

• Re: Device Manager only showing Integrated graphics and not Dedicated?
            ray_m

I had to spend a while looking up your system since it is impossible to have an Intel system with switchable graphics involving an 8970M and an R9 290X.

Switchable AMD + AMD graphics are ONLY available on AMD motherboards.

I finally found a review that explained it : Alienware 17 Review 2014: Performance

"Let’s take a closer look at the AMD Radeon R9 M290X graphics card. AMD has been making a more frequent appearance in high-end gaming notebooks as of late. The M290X is not actually new; it’s essentially a rebranded AMD Radeon 8970M, which was a rebranded 7970M."

So you don't actually have 2 AMD GPU's in the system, only one. And you don't have a R9 290X (which is the discrete desktop version) but an R9 M290X, which is a lower powered mobile version.

The MINIMUM and maxiumum requirements for AC Origins are :

MINIMUM CONFIGURATION

OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)

PROCESSOR: Intel Core i5-2400s @ 2.5 GHz or AMD FX-6350 @ 3.9 GHz or equivalent

VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX660 or AMD R9 270 (2048 MB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0 or better)

SYSTEM RAM: 6GB

Resolution: 720p

Video Preset: Lowest

RECOMMENDED CONFIGURATION

OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)

PROCESSOR: Intel Core i7- 3770 @ 3.5 GHz or AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz

VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX760 or AMD R9 280X (3GB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0 or better)

SYSTEM RAM: 8GB

Resolution: 1080p

Video Preset: High

The R9 M290X is lower powered than the R9 270.

Radeon R9 M290X vs 270X

The games do not run because your GPU is not powerful enough.

2 of 2 people found this helpful