10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2017 4:14 AM by locodicegr

windows 8.1 support

r3aper

The last driver version which was released for Windows 8.1 was 17.7.1.  I know this operating system is not supported by newer model cards including Vega, but it is supported by my current card.  I have a Radeon R9 390X.  Will there be any more drivers for Windows 8.1, even periodic ones?  This operating system is still fully supported by Microsoft and has not even entered it's extended support phase yet.  THere are drivers for Windows 7, which is much older.  Nvidia still releases drivers for Windows 8.1, there's no reason not to release them for cards which support the OS.  I just bought Wolfenstein The New Colossus and it ran beautifully.  They just released a forced Steam update which has a version check built in.  It REQUIRES you to be using the latest AMD drivers, which are not released for my OS.  So Microsoft still supports the OS, the game developer outright states that it is compatible with Windows 8.1, and I purchased it because of that.  Apparently it only supports my OS if I own an Nvidia card.  This is not acceptable and is pushing people away from AMD.

• Re: windows 8.1 support
          georges

Update to Windows 10 , free update until december 31 2017, don't lose the offer , windows 10 is so stable now

http://www.microsoft.com/accessibility/windows10upgrade

black_zion

Windows 8.1 is NOT fully supported by Microsoft, they are not allowing updates if you are running Kaby Lake, Ryzen, or later processors in an effort to push people to Windows 10. Also 8.1 does not support modern technologies, such as NVMe. It is not AMD's position to support an OS for which Microsoft is distancing itself, and for which the share is only 5%., 8-9 times smaller than 7 and 10.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                daggerfall

We talking not about CPU, but about GPU. AMD dropped cards from 2011 (Radeon HD 6000, APU GPU's, mobile GPU's), not even fixed endless bugs for those video cards, so users now alone with bugged drivers which will never fixed in future. Analog of HD 6000 series it's 400 from "green" and I can download, install and use it without any problems on ANY windows, include 8.1. Not everyone fanboys, and not everyone using cpu and gpu from same company, they just loosing clients with those driver quality and politic.

black_zion

No, the HD 6000 series are not akin to the Geforce 400 series, as the HD 6000 series is only tweaked architecture from 2008 and the Geforce 400 series is brand new architecture from 2010, so a more correct analogy would be to put it against the Geforce 300 series, which are refined Tesla architecture cards. If you look at nVidia's driver section, the last supported driver for the 200 and 300 series is from 2016, so no they are not supporting that any longer.

daggerfall

No, the HD 6000 series are not akin to the Geforce 400 series, as the HD 6000 series is only tweaked architecture from 2008 and the Geforce 400 series is brand new architecture from 2010

We talking about drivers support not about rebrandings, Nothern Islands products strong middle cards released in october 2010 (6850/6870) - analog of 6870 is Geforce 460 GTX what released in july 2010 ! which even older and still supported with good quality drivers from nvidia. Performance on 6000 degraded with latest versions and AMD end's support  for it. To topic starter thread where is no reasons to close support for GPU's in windows 8.1 where is no logical reasons. Only reasons is out of programmer resources, bad driver coder team(from ATi to nowadays). I have some cards from nvidia, budged, but new, and my gt1030 and gtx1050 have windows 8.1 support.

r3aper

My CPU and GPU are both supported by my OS, but AMD isn't releasing any drivers.  I have a FX-9370 CPU with a R9 390X GPU.  Windows 7 isn't supported by Ryzen or Vega either but they still make drivers for that, and it's much older than Windows 8.1  It would be the same as if they made drivers for Windows XP and 8.1 but not Windows 7.  It makes no sense.  I know Windows 10 is stable but I would rather not have Microsoft spying on me or controlling what I have on my computer.  Even periodic updates would be acceptable but to drop support completely for a card and OS which isn't very old is not right.  Why support an older OS but not a newer one with the same card?

locodicegr

Update to windows 10...its better than 8.1 anyway.

setback

I am also quite disappointed in RTG's decision to stop releasing drivers for Windows 8.1. I don't code video drivers for a living, and I doubt anyone reading this does either. But, I'm quite skeptical that periodically supplying a driver for GCN-based cards for Windows 8.1 would be all that challenging. Just how challenging can it be when the two Windows operating systems that straddle Windows 8.1 are receiving updates? Microsoft extended support for this OS doesn't expire until early 2023, but here we have RTG bailing out in mid-2017.

AMD and the Radeon Technologies Group should be fighting like crazy to get, and keep, every single customer it can. Instead, they are just giving their current users and potential customers an excellent reason to buy from their competitor. Not everyone has the need, desire or option to move to Windows 10. Consider that the shiny new RX 580 that someone may have purchased for their Windows 8.1 platform in April, was no longer supported after July. Unacceptable.

r3aper

I agree with you.  I haven't heard any comment from AMD regarding this.  I know not everyone is on Windows 8.1 but if they can support a much older OS it can't be that hard to at least make less frequent, periodic updates for 8.1.  It's in between the two so I'm sure a lot of the code would be the same.  I'm not sure if AMD still does it but they used to keep releasing periodic yearly updates for legacy cards.  My card isn't that old yet, but you see the point.  All I'm asking for is SOMETHING to be released at some point to keep compatibility with new games.

If it was a few years ago and they supported XP, skipped 7, and supported 8.1 everyone would be freaking out about it.  Not everyone has the desire to move to the new Microsoft-controlled spyware that is Windows 10, and I have some software that doesn't fully support it.  The main thing I don't agree with is Microsoft's forced updates.  You have to accept them.  It doesn't matter if it interferes with your work, breaks your computer, or adds new "features" you don't want.  If Microsoft wants it, you have to take it.  I wanted to go with the newest possible OS before 10 to ensure I would be able to get updates for the next few years.  That's why I chose 8.1 Pro over 10 when I built my computer.

In a few years Windows 7 will be gone the way of XP once the extended support ends.  Microsoft seems to be prematurely cutting out 8.1 in an effort to push everyone to 10.  They even have Intel and AMD in their pocket by only offering Windows 10 support for all new generations of CPUs and GPUs, but that's another story.  There's no excuse to stop support for an OS still in its support phase with hardware that was released around the same time as the OS.  I don't think Windows 10 was even out when my generation of card was first released.  I understand supporting new hardware on a new OS, maybe it has features not supported by older systems, but only supporting old hardware on the newest OS is wrong.