4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2017 4:55 PM by crashpuppy

Feedback & Hang APU - Win 10 FCU and AMD Non-WHQL-Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-Beta-Win10-Fall-Update-Oct16

crashpuppy

Greetings,

For my first post on this forum, I need to report some issues with the above Beta graphics driver on my Win 10 x64 based HP Laptop.

My specs are as follows:

Laptop (HP Pavilion - 15z, model number V0N65AV)

AMD A9-9410 APU chipset

HP OEM motherboard, with BIOS revision F27 (4/28/2017); SecureBoot is on from the factory

8GB RAM

1 TB Toshiba SATA hard drive (operating in AHCI mode)

Radeon R5 AND R7 M340 graphics (both present, R5 is primary and R7 M340 is secondary)

Windows 10 Home x64 (with Fall '17 Creators Update installed), Fast Startup is enabled

Drivers installed: Non-WHQL-Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-Beta-Win10-Fall-Update-Oct16 (graphics)

AMD Chipset Drivers 17.30 (10/2/2017);  Microsoft storahci.sys driver used for SATA

With the current release drivers for this APU (Crimson ReLive Edition 17.7.2), the system with the Fall Creators Update:

1)  Was prone to crashing, even at times if the system was completely idle, but more often when attempting to open programs;

2)  The Radeon Settings app would not open, and generated a WER crash and associated events in the Windows Event Viewer.

After updating to the above-mentioned beta driver for FCU, the system seems stable and rarely if ever crashes. BUT I have two new issues:

1)  Windows restart doesn't work;  It closes the desktop and says "Restarting", but then hangs at a black screen.  I have to manually turn it off and back on to get it to reboot.

2)  The new Radeon settings app works, but opens a phantom second window (opaque with no content) directly behind the open Settings panel.  The settings in the panel appear to work correctly, though.

I hope I have provided enough clear information to get you pointed in the right direction.  Thanks for your help on this.

Crashman

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

• Re: Issues with Win 10 FCU and AMD Non-WHQL-Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-Beta-Win10-Fall-Update-Oct16
          marianna8

Unfortunately APU support is so bad , I have laptop with AMD Apu and I have problems too (Windows 10 1709) ...

17.7.2 is not stable and BETA works awful ....

I go back to creators update(1703) and I am waiting for new driver with APU support before update again , I am afraid that its going to late

• Re: Issues with Win 10 FCU and AMD Non-WHQL-Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-Beta-Win10-Fall-Update-Oct16
              benman2785

First rule for all Laptops:

if the newest driver on amd.com fails you should go to last working driver - or, what would be "best", using the driver given by your Laptop-Manufactor (here HP)
              these OEMs use to change "standards" for their MoBos in Laptops/Tablets/AiOs so they do their stuff - and thats why standard drivers can sometimes create errors

but now we also have first rule for Drivers:

ALWAYS uninstall drivers with DDU in "Safe Mode" (multiple restarts needed until installation is useable again)
              1. download latest DDU
              2. run as admin
              3. use "safe mode"
              3a. pc will reboot
              4. rebooted in "safe mode" - "clean driver & reboot"
              5. after rebooted - install latest or desired driver
              6. reboot
              7. test again

crashpuppy

benman2785,

Thanks for the advice on DDU!  I used it to remove all traces of the beta driver, then used Windows Update to find MS-approved drivers.  It found version 16.300.2701.0 for both the R5 and the R7 M340 (though it identified the latter as an M440 and installed the driver with that hardware identifier).  Both installed without incident, and have been running smoothly for about 6 hours.  I can even do a warm restart without having to fiddle around!!!

However, the Radeon settings app that came with it suffers from the same problem as the official 17.7.2 package - app crashes with error logs and without ever opening.  So I simply uninstalled the settings app via the start menu shortcut.  I have no control over Radeon-specific settings for now, but at least the basic driver function seems stable.

Here's hoping that AMD gets the beta driver issues sorted, especially with the settings app, soon...

Thanks again for the advice,

Crashman

crashpuppy

marianna8,

I couldn't agree more.  I'd like to delay updating from 1703 to 1709, but every time I turned the computer on the incredibly annoying Windows Update started downloading 1709 again.

For now, see my reply to benman2785 for how I have gotten at least stable basic driver function with 1709 (for now, anyway)

Regards,

Crashman