1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 28, 2017 8:30 PM by black_zion

AMD just slashed the price of its Ryzen Threadripper 1950X to $880

kingfish

The Ryzen Threadripper 1950X is a monster of a processor. In fact, when we reviewed it back in August, it was the fastest desktop CPU we had ever tested. Its only drawback was the $1,000 price tag although even at that level, Threadripper provides performance that is a steal. It beat out the Core i9-7900X in every benchmark and still comes in $150 less than Intel’s offering.

If you passed on picking up a Threadripper chip this summer because it was just out of your budget, now might be the right time to get one. The MSRP for the 1950X just dropped to $879.99. Amazon and Newegg both have them in stock as of writing. (I don't think Newegg would be my first choice Korean Banks Sue Newegg, Allege Massive Fraud, ‘Classic Ponzi Scheme’  )

Keep in mind that the 1950X is not ideal for every rig, especially gaming machines. The Threadripper is just what its name implies – a multi-threading monster. It will definitely increase the efficiency of applications that utilize multiple threads and handles multitasking like nobody's business. Rendering and content creation processing time can be shredded with a 1950X, potentially shaving hours off your work time.

However, when it comes to gaming performance, Threadripper is not the optimal choice. Most games do not benefit much from multi-threading. In our tests, the 1950X was outperformed by the Ryzen 7 1800X in almost every game we ran. Weighing in at only $400, the 1800X is unquestionably a better choice for gaming.

That said, if you are looking for a multi-threading powerhouse, the 1950X can’t be beat, especially for under $900.