1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 2, 2018 2:58 AM by damnation

How to resolve black screen issues while playing 3D games?

shlomini

My system:

• AMD Radeon RX580, 17.10.3
      • HP Omen laptop
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Intel i7 2.80 GHz x 8
      • 12 GB RAM

Issue description:

• I am experiencing sudden black screen while playing 3D games
      • The issue does not reproduce when I lower frames per second to around 40 but I didn't buy HP Omen for getting only 40 FPS

I have updated the Radeon driver version to the latest one. I have installed all of the HP updates and still the problem persist. I tried also using MSI Afterburner and followed recommendations published on YouTube but no luck.

Can you please advice?

Thanks in advance,

Shlomi

• Re: How to resolve black screen issues while playing 3D games?
          damnation

So far the only luck I had with the same laptop was to factory reset and use the radeon driver that came with the laptop. Updating to those new drivers do not work even tho Hp provides the proper software to update to 18.1 or 18.2 on hp website. I had the same problem. I thought the gpu was faulty or the laptop was broke. Its the driver. You have to use the one that came with it. No updates for us which is the only thing I don't like so far. When I went back to the original driver I learned you have to use v-sync without using freesync on doom while running vulkan. Open gl works it too hard. Vulkan over works it as well and will crash it if you are not using v-sync. if you use free sync at the same time as v-sync you will get black bars on screen. free sync for some reason did not limit frames. I also noticed I was able to get 120 fps on quake champions on low to medium settings using the factory installed hp driver. You have to tweak some settings in some graphically intense games to reduce heat as the software does not support amd live (phone app) or relive as far as I know. i can however turn on global chill which doesn't seem to make any noticeable difference in the titles I play. I turned off anisotropy filtering for doom. Hopefully some one will shed some light on our omen laptop rx580s.