10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2017 7:22 AM by anonymous_

PC crash while playing, reboot and no longer detect gpu

anonymous_

Hello guys, I have a big problem: I was in the settings menu in UBS and pc rebooted and then no longer detected gpu, no display from the card (I needed to plug the HDMI in the mobo), I couldn't open AMD Crimson because "no hardware detected". I tried DDU uninstall in safe mode, tried to reinstall and got error "no hardware detected". I tried a manual install but "windows thinks you have the best driver" (microsoft display adapter), I tried to reseat the card, tried to change psu cable, tried to clean up everything from dust, tried to go in BIOS and PEG was setted (not IGD), I tried to update BIOS to the latest version manually, I tried to reset the COMOS using a jumper.

The conditions are these: the card is lights up, led and fans on, if I disconnect it from mobo the pc don't reboot, but with the old BIOS the pc rebooted (so I think the mobo detects it), when I unplug the card just from mobo it lights down (I think it's normal), the card is correctly powered (I use the same cables since I bought it and always worked), I reseated the card and heard the "clack", neither in the BIOS and in the device manager (or gpu-z or all other software) I can see the card. I uninstalled every driver (the Intel driver of the cpu graphic) but the gpu is not detected.

xfx gtr rx 480 8gb

msi h170m pro-vdh

intel core i5 6500

g.skill 2x4gb 2133Mhz

beQuiet pure power 9 500w

Sorry for the bad english   I can't try it in another pc or try another card in this PC and my mobo has just 1 pci-e.

• Re: PC crash while playing, reboot and no longer detect gpu
          elstaci

what is UBS  "I was in the settings menu in UBS" ?

Are you able to uninstall UBS and see if your GPU card is recognized ? Since you were in settings menu in UBS, I was wondering if that program may have caused the problem.

anonymous_

Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot to write it, I was playing Ultimate Battle Simulator before the crash

elstaci

UBS is a game. I am wondering if the settings changed some parameter on your GPU card that caused the computer to restart. If you can't run Crimson to set your GPU to "Default" settings. Hopefully someone else with more technical background will be able to help you.

Try Uninstalling the game, but if you are able to run the game, go back to settings and put everything concerning graphics back to default. Hopefully, it will reset your GPU back to the way it was before setting changed anything.

Maybe if you restored your computer back to a point before you installed UBS, the GPU may be recognized.

Everything above is ONLY if UBS was the reason for your GPU not being detected.

anonymous_

No no the situation is not that: when the pc rebooted I couldn't open Crimson because I got the error "hardware not detected" and I can't install crimson anymore for the same error (173 and 175 error codes, I can't install it either with minimal setup or normal setup). In the game settings I wasn't changing the graphic settings but the battle settings... is another thing in the game. I don't think it changed something but I'm sure the problem is the driver because the hardware is alright: I cheked it a lot.

elstaci

Use Windows Control Panel - Uninstall to remove the current AMD driver set. Then download DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V17.0.7.7 Released. - Wagnardsoft Forum ) and use DDU with AMD settings to remove any traces of the current AMD driver in safe mode. Also delete the folder at the root system at C:\AMD.

After rebooting, Try and reinstall the latest GPU driver from AMD. Download the full set. Also make sure your Windows OS is fully updated via Windows Update.

If it still doesn't work, download a hardware monitoring software and see if your PSU is providing the proper voltages. According to this website : PSU REQUIREMENTS - RealHardTechX , you are using the minimum total system required PSU for the RX-480 which is 500 watts. I was just wondering, if by playing the game, the PSU wasn't strong enough to supply the proper voltage to your GPU.

BTW, What type of computer crash did you have? BSOD? Did any errors show up after the computer crashed?

Try running SFC /scannow in a administrative Right Command.com or Powershell to be sure your Windows OS doesn't have any corrupted or missing files. This is easy and safe to do and it only takes a few minutes.

Probably the BEST way to be sure your RX-480 is good is by installing it in another computer. If the other computer recognizes your GPU than you may have a hardware failure in your original computer.

anonymous_

Thank you for the answer. Ok I update windows (fall creators update) and uninstalled with DDU in safemode in AMD setting. But I can't install the drivers because the installer doesn't detect the drivers (the same error). But I discovered that when I power on the pc with the HDMI plugged in the card there is no display and if I plug it into the mobo there is no display too: I need to reboot with the hmdi plugged in the mobo to display. Another thing: it is possible that the power is too low: the crash was a simple reboot like when I power off from the button and this thing also happened when I unplugged the gpu from the mobo. So it is possible the power is too low, but how can I solve this? I don't know power monitoring software. Should I buy another PSU? I used this psu and gpu since december 2016 and it worked, I played games like the withcer 3, quantum break, hitman and others very heavy... it crashed every times but I thought was for the temperature: I undervolted the gpu and it worked. Maybe this time the game was heavier or the driver was different and crashed.

EDIT: sfc /scannow didn't find errors

anonymous_

I tried another thing: power off, unplug power cable, unplug hard disk cables, reset bios using the bumper, plug the gpu and power on the pc, it doesn't display. So I suppose it is not a driver problem, maybe you are right and it is just a power problem, but if it is a power problem why does it light up? And if it is a pci-e problem, why does it shut down when i unplug it. Maybe the problem is the monitor?

elstaci

I use a free diagnostic program that checks by stressing the CPU , GPU , & PSU.  It is called OCCT. There are other diagnostic software you can use that are probably better. But OCCT has some good reviews from technical websites. When you run it, it displays the power outputs. You can always test your PSU to see how it performs while being under stressed conditions. You can always test your PSU to make sure the outputs stay within normal ranges.  Unfortunately, you won't be able to test your RX-480 since it is not detected. 

If your RX-480 was working before the reboot and then afterwards it wasn't detected. I don't know if something got damaged. If the video was working correctly while using the RX-480, to me, it  indicated that the driver was working correctly before it rebooted. I am beginning to believe your RX-480 might have been damaged. Then again it could be a driver problem or other hardware problem. I replaced my last AMD GPU card thinking it was damaged and it turned out to be bad PC RAM that corrupted the AMD GPU drivers I was trying to install. In another AMD GPU card I replaced thinking it was bad because I couldn't get HDMI audio working no matter what I did. Turn out to be a buggy driver. That is the reason why I mentioned, if possible, to install the RX-480 in another compatible computer. If the same problem occurs in another computer, then it is a sure bet the card is damaged or is failing.

Try installing a previous version of your GPU driver instead of the latest. If it is a driver problem, installing a previous driver may correct the problem.

It is possible, your GPU may have been damaged when your computer rebooted suddenly, which is the reason why its not detected. If you can install it on another computer to see if it is detected and if it works correctly. If a computer restarts by itself without any errors or BSOD, it could indicate a bad or underpowered PSU, hardware Overheating, or CPU overheating.

Your monitor is probably good If you get an image when you boot up.

Otherwise, I am out of suggestions. Someone with a more technical background in this Forum might be able to help you isolate the problem.

BTW, you can download a hardware monitoring software here : Open Hardware Monitor - Core temp, fan speed and voltages in a free software gadget  or here : HWMONITOR | Softwares | CPUID

anonymous_

But if the gpu is broken why does it lights up? Fan on, leds on, power on? Sometimes when I power on the pc the gpu fan speed go to max and then slowly return to  min. I suppose it is the psu, and if so, what can I do? Need I another psu?

anonymous_

Ok I found the problem: the pci-e connector. Maybe it is scrathed. When I unplug the power cable from gpu the mobo doesn't detect it (the red led on the mobo does not lights up) but the gpu yes. So the gpu is alright, the mobo is alright and the proble is the pci-e. This is not sure because the gpu lights up just when I plug it into the pci-e, so it must be alright... I post a picture. Another cause can be the dust: my pc was very very dusty before I opened it and cleaned. Maybe some dust in the pci-e slot.

Edit: I found in internet that the "discoloration" is normal, so the last problem is the dust. I will try to clean up it better.gpu.jpg