3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2017 8:15 PM by siju

Ryzeb 7 1700 wont POST

siju

Hi,

I bought

AMD RYZEN 7 SERIES OCTA CORE PROCESSOR 1700 - WITH WRAITH SPIRE COOLING SOLUTION (AM4 SOCKET, 20MB CACHE, UP TO 3.7 GHz)

and fitted it to a motherboard

GIGABYTE GA-AB350-GAMING 3 AM4 AMD RYZEN B350 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 HDMI ATX Motherboard

I also have a graphics card

Gigabyte AMD RADEON R5 230 1GB DDR3 Graphics Card ( GV-R523D3-IGL ) PCI-E 2.0 / 1024MB / DDR3 / 64 bit / D-Sub / Dual-Link DVI-D / HDMI / Gold Plated HDMI

from which an HDMI cable is going to a Monitor

When I switch on the computer there is no POST details on the screen.

Instead, a red LED light which represents problem with CPU lights up.

I tried removing the RAM, Hard Disk & Graphics card.

Whatever I do the CPU fan rotates and there is no POST and the red LED marking problem with the CPU is there.

How do I troubleshoot this?

How do I understand if it is a problem with the CPU or motherboard?

Thanks

Siju

• Re: Ryzeb 7 1700 wont POST
          benman2785

1. check if CPU is damaged (bend pins etc) - you need to apply ThermalPaste again - so have some at home
          2. use CPU and ONLY 1 RAM stick - NO GPU - check if LED still is red // test ALL RAM sticks alone
          3. if 2.) brought success insert GPU with one RAM stick
          4. have in mind it can take up to 2min for hardware initialisation - so sometimes posts take longer than expected

• Re: Ryzeb 7 1700 wont POST
            walking_corpse

first thing i'd try is taking the cmos battery out, and trying to boot. often there's a charge built up somewhere that can't dissipate while it's there

also, where is the red light? is it next to the cpu socket or is it over near the 24-pin power cable. if it's the cpu socket, that's the led that says no iGPU, which should be red when Ryzen is installed (it checks if an APU is installed). that's totally normal if so