7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2017 12:06 AM by kingfish

Can someone help me find a driver for RX 550 on Windows 8.1?

olds_442

Hello! I recently bought a new Gigabyte RX 550 for my son's Lenovo H50-55, as an upgrade to his onboard graphics. The system has 12gb of ram, runs Win 8.1, and has been a very solid machine. To ensure that there was enough power for the card, I installed an Antec 650 I was not using. I thought I was making a good purchase, but I discovered, after I had already bought it, that AMD was not supporting 8.1 on the latest drivers. I went ahead and tried to install it, but it would not recognize the card. I had messages telling me that the software was incompatible. I tried several different drivers, all the way back to the 16.4 series (I think), but the card will not show up in device manager. The funny thing is that you can have the monitor plugged into the card, and you get a display, even though the machine does not "recognize" it. I have even heard the fans spool up.

I have tried running it on both Auto and on PEG. It works either way, except that it is not in device manager, just a line that says Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. We are running onboard graphics right now.

I have made posts about this on other forums, but have had no responses at all. I am getting very frustrated with this. I do not want to upgrade to Windows 10, and I don't want to have to send it back. However, if I don't find a solution soon, I will have to. If that happens, I will go with nVidia and stay with it.

Please help me find a solution for this. The card was a birthday present for him, and he can't even use it.