24 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2017 10:43 AM by amdmatt

System Crash During Destiny 2 - Vega 64 - 17.10.2

fro57

Hello Everyone,

I have recently been battling the issues related to the Exodus Black area on Nessus in Destiny 2 as detailed in the post here > https://community.amd.com/thread/221546

On top of this I have encountered another issue when playing Destiny 2 and that is during the game while I am using my MSI Vega 64 Iron, the game crashes my entire computer.  Randomly at different points throughout the game I will end up having my screen go completely black and show that no signal is being received.  My tower then exhibits the same behavior as if I just told it to reset and powers down the lights and fans within the machine before powering everything back on.

I wanted to verify that this issue was not Driver Specific and have rolled back my driver to a couple of the ones available before 17.10.2 doing Clean Installs every time.  The issue still persists across multiple drivers.  I have also gone through and downloaded Furmark and ran an stress test on the GPU for 2.5 Hours to ensure that the system shutting down was not related to protective shutdown due to thermals or the PSU not supplying enough power when the card was maxed out.  Everything passed with flying colors.

Lastly I have played several other games such as Shadow of War, Counter Strike, and Rainbow Six Siege on Max settings with no issues.

Attached is my DXDiag Report.  I am curious if anybody else is having this issue.

Thank You

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

• Re: System Crash During Destiny 2
          wolranker

I would say it is still driver orientated. with 10.03 drivers I no longer crash at Black Exodus but I still get random crashes to desktop with screen going black but it eventually recovers, however, AMD drivers and Battle.net have failed and I restart my PC to make sure it's fresh. The same is also happening to my friend on an RX480, random CTD's no matter what gfx setting he changes too.

Hopefully AMD have something more concrete soon with the drivers.

• Re: System Crash During Destiny 2 - Vega 64 - 17.10.2
            amdmatt

Please update to Crimson 17.10.3.

fro57

Hello Matt,

I have updated to 17.10.3 and the same issue persists.  Just finished playing Rainbow Six Siege for 3 hours on max settings and had no problems whatsoever.  This was just after playing Destiny 2 for 20 minutes and getting two full system crashes.

Thank You

amdmatt

That issue was fixed in 17.10.3 so not sure why you are getting crashes. I had the same issue as others but 17.10.3 fixed it.

wolranker

I had a crash every now and again and was completely random. Saying that, since Bungie's update I have not crashed yet.

amdmatt 

there could be still an underlying issue that is not common which has not been fixed by driver update or alternative to that, it may be something else that is not AMD orientated and Bungie need to fix.

Is there anything that can be run to capture a crash?

amdmatt

We're continuing to track reports of crashing, but so far we don't have many since 17.10.3 went live. Perhaps the crash is related to a game patch.

fro57

Except that this issue happened both before and after AMD released 17.10.3, and during that time Bungie did not introduce a new game patch into the environment that would have affected anything.

Yesterday they did issue a patch resolving the issues with older AMD CPUs, but the issue I created this post for persisted both before and after this small hotfix from Bungie.

Do we eventually reach a point where you take this request seriously and start gathering data or asking me to try different things? Or is each response going to continue to act like there isn't an issue?

amdmatt

I'll pass your report onto engineering.

fro57

Bungie released a new fix that helped with an issue causing performance degradation over time. I tested playing the game again and in one instance I made it through a a majority of the RAID, and then the next day I was walking around the tower and my whole system shut down.

At this point with no additional information being given or asked for and my window for helping myself getting smaller I have returned my Vega 64.

This is not something I wanted to do, as I have hung on to my 290 waiting for a card of this power or greater to really bolster my Freesync monitor to another level.

I cannot continue to let my entire system be stressed by having these crashes while trying to play one of the latest games.

I hope this is continued to be looked at so that other users don't experience this.

amdmatt

Your whole system shut down?

Are you see instability on any other games? It seems very unusual for a driver crash to shut down a system without potentially faulty hardware being involved.

fro57

As I detailed in my first post the system exhibits the same behavior as a full restart of the machine. The monitor goes black, the lights on the keyboard and mouse turn off, the lights inside the case turn off and everything in the case powers down, and a few moments later it powers back up.

Also as detailed in my first post it is only during Destiny 2 that this happens. I have tested with several other games at Max settings and Max resolution and no issues have occurred for hours and hours of gameplay. I also ran the Furmark Extreme Burn In test for close to 3 hours pushing the GPU to 100% usage and a little over 80 degrees Celsius during that time and it had no problems whatsoever.

This was all detailed in my original post already.

amdmatt

We throttle power in Furmark as it draws a lot of power through the GPU, so it is probably not useful for that kind of test.

I don't have a solution for you at the moment i am afraid, but engineering have received your feedback.

fro57

At this point the card is already gone, but I can say that part of the reason I ended at this conclusion is due to finding this as a common issue online.

I found several posts detailing this same issue happening in other games or instances, and the only solution any of these people had was to undervolt the card, despite these people having 1000W PSU's that are more than capable of handling the card.

I personally did not try this because this is not a solution for me. With this machine being my daily driver I do not do any sort of overclocking or adjustments on it as all as I need it to be as stable as possible.

Seeing these other posts helped me realize that my situation was not unique and that this would probably be a constant battle that I cannot waste time on.

fro57

Also, as a follow up to this whole situation. I just installed my Overclocked 1080TI and have had 0 of the issues that I was experiencing with my Vega card. Between that and the 290 also not causing my system to crash it is obvious that the Vega 64 was the culprit.

daquteness

Vega has a very different set of instructions and capabilities, some of them have kinks which are still being ironed out: hence your correct observation that the 290 won't exhibit the same issues.

Also worth looking at the bigger picture: nVidia has the budget to displace a ridiculous amount of devs in order to fix problems asap, once AMD gets to that level which I'm sure will happen, there won't be things like this to pick on. Also, while indeed high performers, greens hasn't come up with anything truly new in the gamer/consumer sector in over half a decade - of course you won't see the same issues.

I'm not being a fanboy, just looking at the ecosystem rather than just game performance. Having said that, a new Crimson driver came out yesterday I think, might want to check that out.

fro57

I understand that. However, having a glaring issue that causes a full system shutdown isn't something I can just brushed off because this does put the rest of the hardware in the system at risk.

I haven't issues with jumping on board early with hardware solutions and working out the links. (I got my 1800x and Crosshair VI Hero at launch)

However if you go through this thread and look at the responses from AMD Matt you will see that he responded before actually reading my original post and just assumed he knew what I was talking about. He thinks continued to try to brush the issue off by repeatedly stating that nobody else has this issue, and that it must be a hardware issue with my system.

I work in both computer repair and online support troubleshooting and to act like something isn't a problem when you can easily find other forum posts showing Vega 64 causing full system crashes is not okay.

They need to be acknowledging the issue and be open about working on a solution.

salinetear

amdmatt  You're solution doesn't work for Vega Frontier and since you locked the thread about Destiny and the Vega Frontier Edition, I'll post here.. you say install 17.10.3  -- you can't!  when you try, even after running DDU you get  error 182 AMD installer cannot properly identify the AMD graphics hardware.

I have also tried 17.11.1 with the same error message

and 4Q driver for vega frontier also doesn't work.

I even joined a fireteam, they cleared it for me, and as soon as it loads into the next mission is crashes to desktop.

options please

p055ible

Can you suggest who is the right person to ask about Vega FE then? As you cannot comment on the progress/status of the fix coming to Vega FE driver, we would like to know if someone can comment on it's status.

Also, asking my original question again: What was the underlying issue? Was it due to relive, overlay, some radeon setting or something totally low level driver issue? Just to get some clarity. I am a game developer myself and I work with various different engines. Just want to keep this underlying thing in mind so my games don't run into such issues.

amdmatt

No one is going to comment on when a driver will be released as it will be released when it is ready.

Debugging drivers is above my pay grade I'm afraid, so i don't know what the problem was and it's not something we'd make public anyway.

p055ible

There should be someone working on this right? Where can we get support for Vega FE then? Is this not the right forum?

I just want to know if someone is atleast working on getting the driver ready for Vega FE. And I can understand that you cannot answer the question about the underlying issue, but I am sure someone at AMD can? Or will they keep us in the blind about this?

Thanks

daquteness

I also have Vega FE, and I understand your frustration regarding driver availability. Yes, this is the right forum, the engineering teams will most likely have been notified of all issues and are working on them, I'm sure Matt has quite the sheet of potential issues submitted already.

Windows 10 FCU has caused me a great deal of pain with the FE drivers but that's not AMD's fault as far as I can tell, and I just reverted to CU, clean-installed 17.10, upgraded to Q4 and it works fine. Direct install of Q4 does cause a few inconveniences but not an issue if installed as upgrade. Agreed, should just work but I'm sure this is being worked on, FE is not exactly a product to ignore.

As for Destiny 2 having problems, so far I've not played it because I've been busy with work, but the bugs are already well known, and I expect to encounter them too because the Gaming drivers are still a little bit behind. The Gaming drivers should align with RX pretty soon, If release history is of any help, there's always been something interesting coming out in end-of-year drivers where a lot of kinks get ironed out at once.