9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2018 2:04 AM by desertwolfit135

GTA V crashes steadily with 17.10.2 x64 RX480 Driver

peccavi

My GTA V steadily keeps crashing since I've installed the newest Driver.
      Had to reverse to an older driver so I can play the game again.

Error code from GTA V: err_gfx_d3d

• Re: GTA V crashes steadily with 17.10.2 x64 RX480 Driver
          faqu

The new driver 17.10.2 crashes Rise of the Tomb Raider as well... It looks like AMD can only deliver crappy drivers since 17.7.2 (including 17.7.2) . For now , i recommend using 17.7.1 , as it is the newest stable driver .

17.7.2 - added random crashes in Overwatch

17.8.2 - added bugs in The Witcher 3 while using HBAO+

17.10.1/17.10.2 -- added random crashes in Rise of the Tomb Raider and GTA V , and texture glitches in Forza Motorsport 7 and Forza Horizon 3

It seems like AMD really likes to 'improve' their drivers over time. *FineWine* kappa

giug86

19/01/2018.. GTA V still crash with 17.12.2 and 18.1.1 drivers. D3D error, radeon app stop working.. u can choose.

Rx480 XFX turned 8gb

i7 6700

16gb

1tb

desertwolfit135

Hi giug86, I got most recently the same problem with my rig in gta and may found out a little of its cause.

i used Cinebench and GPU Caps to find any possible holes and what not in the GPU as it runs fine in any other game without crashes as just GTA V does so.

It turns out to be that OpenGL crashed on the Card as Result of Playing the Game,

In my test Before and after playing GTA V Cinebench gives me two kind of results the following:

The first Test runs Flawless showing me the 70-75FPS as test Mark as the render image is green before the test begins,

in the second Test  after a round of GTA V Cinebench refuses to test OpenGL showing me the Error:

"OpenGL Reference Matching Test Failure! Error in rendering are to displayed as red pixels. the difference with the reference image is too great."

This means in short somehow does GTA V since a few updates if AMD or R* side put in the open, stops to work due D3D Error that is caused by OpenGL somehow.

I asume it has to nothing to much with the drivers since OpenGL works just fine after a fresh install of the drivers,

and playing other games that eat as much resources as GTA V does on PC doesnt cause to crash it.

I tryed many things by now  as Upgrading or downgrading my GPUs driver by Clean install and reinstall or even switching (not that more recommended) the GPUs Vendor name in Device-Manager to an HD Series model but it didnt help any  i hope AMD techis read all of out problems her helping us to fix this mess ^^

Sapphire RX480 Nitro+ OC 8GB

AMD FX-8350 4,00GHz 8 Cores

8GB DDR3 1866MHz RAM

111GB SSD and 2TB HDD