13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2017 12:35 AM by atlasminor

R7 M265 driver crashes with Fall Creators Update

centaurusa

After receiving the Fall Creators Update for Windows 10, my Dell Inspiron 7547 laptop reboots almost immediately after booting.  Windows disables the Radeon R7 video driver and uses Microsoft's Basic Display Driver.  Installing what I think is the latest Windows 10 compatible driver - Version 23.20.72.0, Date 2017-10-20 - using 

non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17.10.2-oct23.exe has no effect.

My system is as follows:

AMD Graphics Card
          ATI/AMD Radeon R7 M265 (Opal XT) [DELL]
      Desktop or Laptop System
          Dell Inspiron 7547
      Operating System
          Windows 10 64bit Version 1709 Build 16299.19
      Driver version installed
          AMD Radeon R7 M265 Series, Driver Version: 23.20.782.0, Driver Date: 19-Oct-2017
      Display Devices
          AU Optronics B156HW01 V0, 1920 x 1080, 344 x 193 mm, Pixel Clock 141.00 MHz
          Dell S2740L, 1920 x 1080, HDMI
      Motherboard + Bios Revision
          DELL 0AM680, American Megatrends, A08, 10/20/2015
      CPU/APU
          Intel Core i7-4510U
      Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
          65W
      RAM
          16GB

What video driver do I need to solve this problem?

• Re: R7 M265 driver crashes with Fall Creators Update
          amdmatt

Adding our mobility expert. kingfish

kingfish

There are steps that can/should be taken to prevent/delay Microsoft from automatically changing/installing what it thinks is the latest driver for your graphics chip.

The switchable graphics of the laptop depends on the latest Intel graphics driver being installed first.

A clean install of the AMD drivers is best.

Always install the full version, never the 'minimal setup' > Mobile

Laptop graphics update...How to

Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

To perform a 'clean install' of AMD graphics drivers:

1. Download and save the correct AMD driver. Do not use "automatically detect and install". Download Drivers

2. Download and save DDU https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

3. Disable All anti-virus/anti-malware/anti-anything

4. Delete the contents of the C:/AMD folder of all previous drivers

5. Win10 users..take the necessary steps to prevent/delay Microsoft automatically changing/installing graphics drivers using one of these methods > Windows 10 Forums

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              centaurusa

When I first tried to follow the instructionsprovided by kingfish, AMD's server had a problem and wouldn't locate and download any drivers.  Today I downloaded the current version of the video driver (non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17.11.2-nov16.exe), uninstalled the original driver using DDU, and installed AMD Radeon R7 M265 Series Driver Version 23.20.793.0, Driver Date 2017-11-15.  The rebooting behaviour of my laptop and the driver replacement with Microsoft's Basic Display Driver is unchanged.  Any further solutions forthcoming?

centaurusa

kingfish Perhaps I wasn't clear in the steps I took.  I did follow your instructions for a clean install.  I removed the previous driver, then downloaded and installed the package that the driver search page indicated.  The current AMD driver is duly installed, as indicated by Device Manager, and it appears to be working correctly immediately after installation.  The problems occur when I switch off the laptop and reboot. 

kingfish

""Today I downloaded the current version of the video driver (non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17.11.2-nov16.exe), uninstalled the original driver using DDU, and installed AMD Radeon R7 M265 Series Driver Version 23.20.793.0, Driver Date 2017-11-15. ""

1. Download the latest driver 17.11.2 only > Mobile This is the only driver you will install.

2. Delete previous driver using the control panel 'uninstall a program'

3. Reboot in to safe mode

4. Run DDU in safe mode and choose to restart the computer.

5. In stall the previously downloaded driver.

6. Reboot

5. Win10 users..take the necessary steps to prevent/delay Microsoft automatically changing/installing graphics drivers using one of these methods > Windows 10 Forums

6. Win7 and Win8.1 users read note*

Uninstall the old drivers using the computer control panel > 'uninstall a program' > choose AMD and uninstall everything:

Screenshot_1 (15).png

1. Download the latest driver 17.11.2 only > Mobile This is the only driver you will install.

2. Delete previous driver using the control panel 'uninstall a program'

3. Reboot in to safe mode

4. Run DDU in safe mode and choose to restart the computer.

5. In stall the previously downloaded driver.

6. Reboot

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    centaurusa

> 1. Download the latest driver 17.11.2 only > Mobile This is the only driver you will install.

kingfish  Perhaps I don't understand your first instruction.  I indicated the file that I downloaded (non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17.11.2-nov16.exe).  As far as I can tell from your link this is the only file that has Version 17.11.2.  Certainly this is the version of the driver that is installed in Windows 10 after following all your other instructions.  What does "only" refer to when you say "Download the latest driver 17.11.2 only"?

centaurusa

> What does "only" refer to when you say "Download the latest driver 17.11.2 only"?

kingfish Am I confusing driver version numbers?  The downloaded file is labelled ..17.11.2-nov16.  The installed driver is dated 2017-11-15.  But, this is the only "17.11.2" driver that the link seems to provide.

centaurusa

My problem got worse after yet another Windows update with a 2cm x 2cm pixelated coloured box showing up in the centre of the screen.  A friend who has exactly the same model of laptop as mine experienced the same problem.  Today, I checked for updated AMD drivers and installed non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17.11.4-nov27.exe.  This appears to solve the rebooting issue.  However, it also seems to result in Windows 10 deciding to use Intel HD Graphics Family, Driver Version 20.19.15.4463; Driver Date 2016-06-25.  This driver gives the correct screen resolution and drives my second monitor.  The cost is that it steals 2 GB of RAM (which should be provided by the AMD graphics card).  So, things seem to be back to working - but not as the various manufacturers planned!  We'll see if the rebooting issue is actually fixed and, I guess, will wait for yet another version of the video driver(s).

centaurusa

As usual, I spoke too soon.  The changes to the video driver have eliminated the pixelated box, but the rebooting problem is still present.  This may be an issue with cold vs. hot boots.  A cold boot always causes a reboot.  The subsequent hot reboot drops into the Windows Basic Display Driver and loses my second monitor.  If I do a second hot reboot, the Intel driver is loaded and things are then stable with two monitors running at full resolution.

atlasminor

Own a Dell 3168 2-1 (Touch Screen Version) cost was under 200$, you can confirm the list through Dell support, but this is what Dell has felt meets a the FCU update. Your Model isnt on the list, and many manufactures like Asus didnt even release a mobil compilation... there are still bugs in the FCU, but

Inspiron Notebook

The table below lists Dell Inspiron Laptop computers that have been tested with Windows 10 Creators Update. If your computer model is not listed, Dell is not testing the device, and drivers will not be updated for that model.

Model
                            Inspiron 3147
                            Inspiron 3148
                            Inspiron 3152
                            Inspiron 3153
                            Inspiron 3157
                            Inspiron 3158
                            Inspiron 3162
                            Inspiron 11 3168
                            Inspiron 11 3169
                            Inspiron 11 3179
                            Inspiron 3442
                            Inspiron 3443
                            Inspiron 3451
                            Inspiron 3452
                            Inspiron 3458
                            Inspiron 3459
                            Inspiron 14 3462
                            Inspiron 14 3465
                            Inspiron 14 3467
                            Inspiron 14 3468
                            Inspiron 3541
                            Inspiron 3542
                            Inspiron 3543
                            Inspiron 3552
                            Inspiron 3555
                            Inspiron 3558
                            Inspiron 3559
                            Inspiron 15 3565
                            Inspiron 15 3567
                            Inspiron 15 3568
                            Inspiron 13 5368 2-in-1
                            Inspiron 13 5378 2-in-1
                            Inspiron 13 5379 2-in-1
                            Inspiron 5448
                            Inspiron 5451
                            Inspiron 5452
                            Inspiron 5455
                            Inspiron 5457
                            Inspiron 5458
                            Inspiron 5459
                            Inspiron 14 5468
                            Inspiron 5547
                            Inspiron 5548
                            Inspiron 5551
                            Inspiron 5552
                            Inspiron 5555
                            Inspiron 5557
                            Inspiron 5558
                            Inspiron 5559
                            Inspiron 15 5565
                            Inspiron 15 5566
                            Inspiron 15 5567
                            Inspiron 15 5568 2-in-1
                            Inspiron 5570
                            Inspiron 15 5576 Gaming
                            Inspiron 15 5577 Gaming
                            Inspiron 15 5578 2-in-1
                            Inspiron 15 5579 2-in-1
                            Inspiron 5755
                            Inspiron 5758
                            Inspiron 5759
                            Inspiron 17 5765
                            Inspiron 17 5767
                            Inspiron 5770
                            Inspiron 7348
                            Inspiron 7352
                            Inspiron 7353
                            Inspiron 7359
                            Inspiron 13 7368 2-in-1
                            Inspiron 7370
                            Inspiron 13 7373 2-in-1
                            Inspiron 13 7378 2-in-1
                            Inspiron 7447
                            Inspiron 14 7460
                            Inspiron 14 7466 Gaming
                            Dell Inspiron 14 Gaming 7467
                            Inspiron 7472
                            Inspiron 7548
                            Inspiron 7557
                            Inspiron 7558
                            Inspiron 7559
                            Inspiron 15 7560
                            Inspiron 15 Gaming 7566
                            Inspiron 15 Gaming 7567
                            Inspiron 7568
                            Inspiron 15 7569 2-in-1
                            Inspiron 7570
                            Inspiron 15 7572
                            Inspiron 15 7573 2-in-1
                            Inspiron 15 Gaming 7577
                            Inspiron 15 7579 2-in-1
                            Inspiron 17 7773 2-in-1
                            Inspiron 17 7778 2-in-1
                            Inspiron 17 7779 2-in-1

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709) http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln297954/dell-computers-tested-for-windows-10-fall-creators-update-and-previous-versions-of-windows-10?lang=en#Inspiron-NB-FCU

centaurusa

> ...this is what Dell has felt meets a the FCU update. Your Model isnt on the list

This list makes no sense (to me). Are Dell trying to say that a three-year-old laptop is useless?  If updates to Windows 10 aren't supported, the computer would be susceptible to a whole host of security issues.  So, I cannot accept that this is any kind of valid reason for the video driver being broken on this particular model.

atlasminor

The link is directly from Dell's website. I would ask them why they post a list without your model, but if you read the information attached to there list it says known models tested for compatibility for the FCU. Every manufacture has to provide a list, this isnt just Dell.

So you cant except Dell ( your manufacture ) compatibility list? That is the official Dell website, and i'm on a Dell right now, my notebook is on the list , yours is not.

Call Dell, give Dell a chance to explain what is going on with your notebook is about all the advice anyone could offer. Diffently not a AMD issue that a manufacture doesn't update firmware or finds reasons a PC they manufactured had serious problems with latest windows update.