2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2017 12:15 AM by staggeredsix

Manufacturers choose AMD APUs only to cheap out.

freebeasso

Hello everyone.
      I  am a huge fan of AMD and was very happy in the early days of APUs.
      it used to be a great option that allows users to have multiple GPU crossfire between the GPU inside the APU and the actual GPU on the board.

However, the Laptop manufacturers over the years started to use the APU as a stun to show off its inner GPU in the specs and neglecting to install one on board so they get the sales without the extra cost and the user ends up screwed.
      I have an A9 7th generation and it is amazing in multitasking but the lack of a dedicated graphics card makes it struggle in games on its own.

I just do not  know if everyone agrees about this and I wish for AMD to avoid this issue in their coming APU generation.

I hope they will  force the installation of an equal GPU on board with every installed APU.

• Re: Manufacturers choose AMD APUs only to cheap out.
          red5

Surely you understand that there are price points to be met. The AMD APUs by themselves are a solid choice for a lower-end laptop that will actually perform well on some esports games. Adding a dedicated graphics chip pushes the price up significantly, and the customers buying that level of device are more than likely not looking for an APU to be handling the computing portion of the workloads.

There really is no sense in in mixing an APU with a dedicated GPU unless it was part of an upgrade path in a desktop computer.  (you were specifically mentioning laptops)

• Re: Manufacturers choose AMD APUs only to cheap out.
              staggeredsix

This is completly true. Especially with MXM, as MXM cards are absurdly expensive. As far as APU based laptops... They are supposed to be cost effective and budget oriented. If you get an APU machine for $400 and compare it to an Intel machine at the same price the APU will decimate it in 3D acceleration.  APUs aren't meant to be ultra high performance. They are a way to get a laptop that is inexpensive and can hold its own in medium - low to medium settings in esports games. AAA titles may run okay but you'll be seeing low settings.

This crossfire you're talking about ive never seen in a laptop. Crossfire between an APU and an add in board is possible... But you'd be seeing a very slight difference if any in supported titles. The fact that the add in card has to be on the extreme low end almost makes it kind of a bad deal IMHO.

The next generation of APUs are in the way, let's see what's in store for us.