2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2017 5:24 PM by cellmember

R9 390 8GB GPU/Driver Problem / Dying GPU ?

cellmember

Hi,

Yesterday 22/10/2017 I was on a game all of a sudden my system locked up. So I restarted it, it got to the windows 7 loading screen then my monitor was showing no signal after about a minute my system shut it self down, I restarted it again to see if the same thing would happen and it did. So I then decided to boot into windows 7 safe mode, it got to the windows loading screen and the system booted up just fine. So I tried resetting the bios, running a check disk which found no errors on the drive. Now heres the funny thing just out of curiosity I have seen some other people with a similar problem which had pointed to the GPU just not specific to my issue so I decided to boot up in windows safe mode and uninstall the GPU drivers which where 17.5.1 at the time of the problem occuring so I restarted my system and attempted to boot up in normal and oddly enough my system was able to get into windows as it normally would/should. So I decided to reinstall the GPU driver this time using the latest one available from AMD which is 17.10.1 just after the driver finished installing the system locked up and I had to restart again and the same exact thing was happening just like the first time around. I've tested another fresh card I have available to me and sure enough it worked as it should have, so I then tested the problem card in another system and the exact same problem had shown itself again, it seems to me for some reason the driver software is causing the issue but I have no idea as to why, is the GPU slowing dying ?

Note I also re-installed the earlier driver  17.5.1 just to double check with the same results.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Additional info

OS: Windows 7 Pro x64 completely updated.GPU: Gigabyte R9 390G1 8GB