6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2018 6:37 PM by crazyserb

R9 280X Memory Clock Stuck at 1500 MHz on Idle

rpicker

Hi, I'm using R9 280X card, on every Crimson driver, once a while after watching some movies or playing games my graphic card memory clock doesn't go back to idle clock state.

Normally it should be: 300/150 for Graphic/Memory Clock on idle

Since Crimson Driver: 501/1500 for Graphic/Memory Clock on idle

My card max clock: 1050/1500

It gives around 15 celcius of temperature increase, not to count more power consumption while my PC not doing anything just because the memory clock stuck at 1500 MHz.

I don't have this memory clock problem with 16.7.2 driver, but my problem with 16.7.2, it gives graphic artifact in FIFA 18 (usually the artifact occurs on player's white kit or white hair). This will not happened on Crimson Driver, but then I will have the memory clock problem. Already tried every WHQL driver from 17.2.1 to 17.9.3, every one of them have this memory clock problem.

Is there any solution for this problem? Thanks

Edit: Sorry, the idle clocks for my card are 300/150 MHz, not 300/500 MHz.

• Re: R9 280X Memory Clock Stuck at 1500 MHz on Idle
          amdmatt

Please try disabling Hardware Acceleration in your web browser and the clock may not get stuck. ray_m

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              rpicker

I notice that with couple drivers since 16.7.2, everytime I play movie, the Memory Clock jumped to 1500 MHz. It's back to 150 MHz if I closed the movie player. But that thing didn't happen with 16.7.2 driver, It's always 300/150 MHz everytime I play movies. It will only jumped to 1500 MHz if I'm playing game. And It's happening even if I'm not opening any web browser.

hufokus

I have the same issue, even shutting the web browser down doesn't work, nothing works except restarting PC or updaing driver to the newest version (it the reinstalling process itself that does the trick, not the new drivers work).

amdmatt

Please submit a bug report if you are affected by this issue so we can pass the feedback to engineering. www.amd.com/report.

crazyserb

How many times it needs to be reported?! I reported it at least 10 times in last ~year and half and UVD bug is still not even in known issues! Whole 1st gen GCN is plagued by this DXVA upscaling/downscaling issue (since madVR is very tweakable renderer) starting with 16.7.3 and something tells me I am not the only one with 10+ reports.

I will not install newer drivers unless I see this specific issue in fixed list, since Im not in a mood to lose OC/undervolting capabilities on my 270x which also comes with slight performance loss if I dont restart driver and GPU gets stuck. But something tells me that I will buy new card before this gets fixed (fix ETA: most likely never). And no, I stopped recommending AMD GPUs year ago when I determined ETA for fixing this which means I'll just ignore AMD GPU offerings (because AMD support ignores their customers too).

godfuture

Same here on HD7870 and win10 x64. My clocks are stuck in idle at 450/1200 (gpu/memory). Normally it is at 300/150.

I tried to reinstall the driver with AMD driver clean utility. But even on latest driver (Non-WHQL-Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-17.10.3-Oct27) the issue occurs.