28 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2018 12:26 AM by tkalfaoglu

Laptop - Asus ROG Stryx GL702ZC non-functional FreeSync after driver update

deksman2

Ok, I just got myself the Asus ROG Stryx GL702ZC laptop which shipped with 17.6 drivers.

FreeSync was functioning at the time as the laptop panel is FreeSync capable.

Obviously, I wanted to update the drivers to the latest version for the purpose of enhancing performance, stability, adding chill, etc.

The GPU in the laptop is RX 580 4GB with 1077 MhZ boost speed... it's a desktop grade RX 580 with lowered clocks and 65W TDP.

CPU: Ryzen 1700 (desktop version).

RAM: 16GB 2400 MhZ so-dimm (1 slot - running in single channel).

SSD: 256GB

HDD: 1TB

Now, AMD obviously never released GPU drivers for the mobile version RX 580 in this laptop - which shouldn't be difficult since it's a desktop grade one, so I had to resort to downloading AM4 B350 chipset utility, and it offered to install the latest GPU drivers.

After the installation was done, FreeSync stopped working. I did a clean install of the drivers. FreeSync option is greyed out and registers as 'not supported'.

Additionally, I don't have Wattman showing up under Global settings at all.

It simply doesn't exist.

Either this is a limitation because the GPU is a modification of the desktop one, and AMD and Asus need to work out on supporting it, or it's artificially limited from showing up. Is there a way to enable Wattman manually in that case?

I have no plans on overclocking the GPU, only to try and undervolt it.

• Re: Laptop - Asus ROG Stryx GL702ZC non-functional FreeSync after driver update
          ray_m

Unfortunately, until we release official mobile drivers that support this device, there's very little we can do.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • Re: Laptop - Asus ROG Stryx GL702ZC non-functional FreeSync after driver update
              deksman2

Thank you for the reply ray_m.

Do you have an estimate on when the mobile drivers might become available?

Meteorhead

And can you tell us if that's ever going to happen? I understand there's a priority list, and user base volume plays a big role at that, but so does hallmark status, and the GL702ZC is a signature machine, no less. I think it's in AMDs best interest to make this machine shine.

@caretaker : rolling back to 1703+ is a no go for me, I use this machine as a devbox and I need the absolute latest Windows on it to get the best of WSL. Infact, there are features on the Insider branch I'd use everyday (Visual Studio Code popping up from within WSL, which works as of Dec 18), but I messed up the pre-installed Win10 Home by going on the Insider branch. Clean install now, 1709, inside Hyper-V (thanks to new BIOS issued by ASUS, AMD-v now works) I got Win10+Insider to test, but I need a stable and feature complete Windows on a daily basis. Rolling back for gaming/leisure sake is too much to ask.

Please, dedicate some time to make this machine work with the latest drivers. I miss the overlay feautre in 17.12.2, but losing Chill and FreeSync (both which contribute to maintaining system noise, something that definitely needs all the help it can get) is just too much. I'd rather stay on older drivers, but have everything work with less features. But making everything work should be made a priority.

evolucion8@hotmail.com

I have the same laptop and it worked fine with the 18.1.1 drivers and not right out of the box. I had to manually install the drivers using the Device Manager and choose the GPU as Radeon(TM) RX580 in order for Freesync to get it work. With the new 18.2.1, that string does not exist anymore and I tried every single RX 580 card on the driver installations and no avail. And couldn't find the Radeon(TM) RX580 GPU either, only the Radeon(TM) RX 580 and Radeon(TM)   RX 580 and others like RX 580 series, RX 580 graphics and so on. They all would install fine but Freesync wouldn't work. The funny part is that once I connected the laptop with a Samsung C27FG70 Freesync monitor through the HDMI 2.0 port, then it worked fine, the issue seems to be related with Freesync and the laptops panel which seems to be having an issue with hand shaking or something going on.

Meteorhead

Does 18.2.1 change anything in this regard? Where should we look for supported SKUs?

deksman2

I was able to retain freesync functionality by using express install.

Though in all honesty, AMD needs to supply drivers that work right of the

bat with freesync using clean driver installation so we can avoid these

issues.

Asus only provides the original drivers the machine shipped with. They are

more likely to potentially release a new bios update rather than update

other drivers.

Also... We need wattman functionality.

Latest MSI afterburner works with the 580 in this laptop and I was able to

undervolt by -93mV stable for high stress loads... -100mV can work

occasionally but it can also crash the OS due to insufficient power

supplied. The 7mV difference seems to be About 2degrees Celsius. Otherwise,

undervolting keeps the fans at a lower speed and temperatures lower as well.

Meteorhead

Just to let you know, I tried with 18.2.1 instead of stock drivers. The overlay does not show, plus I also lost Chill. Naturally, no WattMan capabilities either.

Could we get actual driver support for this rig? I play late at night from my bed and I wake my wife (luckily not the baby), cause it blows like a hairdryer! Chill and undervolting at night with WattMan are direly needed.

deksman2

You can undervolt the GPU using latest MSI Afterburner.

Set the core voltage to -93mV and apply. Test it out.

Depending on your ASIC quality, your voltage mileage may vary, but this should work well in greatly reducing the fan noise.

One issue that MSI Aterburner does not allow is undervolting the GPU memory. The VRAM runs on 2000 MhZ and was set to 1.0V from the factory.

If we could gain Wattman functionality, we might be able undervolt the VRAM as well (depending on how much voltage we can drop individually), dropping power consumption and temperatures further.

Meteorhead

This a customer service update: I found out that the perf overlay (default bound to Ctrl+Shift+O) only shows up when pressing the LEFT Ctrl+Shift button, but not those on the right side. (So you definitely need two hands if you don't rebind it.) Overlay shows fine.

I enabled chill for all games I usually play with and set it to the FreeSync range (40-60 Hz, you can check it by clicking on the monitor info tab and hovering over the "Enabled" button and it will show the range in a bubble). The range really could have a button of its own, I looked very hard for it and found it by accident. Chill works nice in XCOM2 for instance but really doesn't do much in Heroes of the Storm for instance. Even the menu renders in 60 FPS (and the menu burns the GPU more than the actual gameplay), it could really detect either the menu, or simply just no mouse movement. In-game, the mouse rarely rests for more than 0.5 seconds, but I'm sure Chill has smarter way to detect "idle" game periods.

I have not tried MSI Afterburner but will rather wait for WattMan support. Chill and FreeSync are a decent pair, I can live with them until 1st party clock tooling arrives.

pokester

I think you are wise to wait for better Wattman support. Afterburner is known to have issues with the adrenaline drivers. Some claim the latest version is compatible? YMMV  I agree it is confusing that they don't note that the key combo is left side restricted unless you rebind. I had issue with this at first too! Glad you got it sorted.

I am also glad you got the AMD drivers working, however it is always recommended to get Laptop/Notebook drivers from the devices Manufacturer. This is because, and especially in performance gaming laptops, the power & cooling settings and solutions are very customized. The vanilla drivers from AMD will not have any special Manufacturer changes to the drivers, so be aware, and use at your own risk.

I also get the logic in wanting to be preemptive. However the drivers since 2nd quarter last year, really are beta quality at best for many people. So unless you are having an issue I would not upgrade drivers, if the ones you have are working well.

Good Luck & Happy Gaming! Enjoy that new laptop!

Meteorhead

Another ~2 months have passed. Any update on receiving drivers for this machine? (It's been released a fair time ago now.) Windows update just downloaded an older driver, which again disabled Radeon Overlay. Could we get proper, upstream driver support so such things don't happen? Could get similar feature support as all other AMD users? (I honestly thought that buying an all AMD machine, no Intel components will save me from such hassles.)

We get it, AMD don't want to make driver for this signature machine of theirs (and ASUS). If that's the case, at least admit it out loud. No hard feelings, just not buying AMD anymore, but not giving any answers is just disrespect.

pokester

The Windows 10 spring creators update is out tomorrow. It may not show as a update right away as they typically roll it out slowly to different machines. However you could google how to force the update. It is supposed to have many updates that fix things the prior couple versions broke. If your issue is one of them I don't know. You could always try and roll back if it is an issue.

Meteorhead

I did reinstall the drivers after the update to 1803 and Overlay and FreeSync is in place. Unfortunately, I get an insane amount of BSODs (not sure if it's due to GPU or chipset drivers, but it usually happens when gaming and roughly twice a week: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL_TO).

Could we get stock AMD drivers to work with the notebook and have Overlay, FreeSync and WattMan light up? The latter would be nice to downclock on late night gaming sessions when volume should be kept down.

pokester

You would have to ask AMD for any request. Asking here is just asking people like youself, this is a peer to peer forum, not AMD employees. None of us control the driver development. Ask your request to AMD: Email Form

kingfish

I doubt you will ever see Wattman on a Mobility graphics chip.

deksman2

Wattman works on GL702ZC under Linux apparently.

Also, this is desktop RX 580 (4GB) which was restricted to utilize only 3 P states.

Also, I suspect that there are two ways we could unlock Wattman on this laptop:

1. Unlock the motherboard BIOS and gain full access

2. Flash the GPU with desktop RX 580 (4GB) video BIOS (this option would of course give us full blown desktop RX 580 - but as we know, AMD didn't exactly optimize the voltages for these GPU's out of the factory, so, while we will be able to gain higher clocks, they WILL need to be undervolted aggressively to the point where this laptop could take that.

kingfish

If you think that can be done...do you really think that wouldn't be a feature of any laptop? A huge feature? Anything can be Mickey Moused to do anything. The laptop manufacturers, who control such things..not AMD...would go out of business. How could you offer a warranty?

All manufacturers try to get the most out of the graphics but all come up against the same wall...heat. People who buy laptops and want to play games at higher settings can always consider external graphics. Several on the market.

deksman2

Asus didn't really put too much emphasis on proper cooling in GL702ZC in the first place.

Also, how come other laptop OEM's who offer GTX 1080 in mobile form have no heat issues?

The cooling is down to the OEM. Asus was deliberately cutting corners on GL702ZC without merit. The 17" chassis is HUGE, and they didn't even bother to put a cooling pipe onto the B350 chipset in the GL702ZC with 1700 inside... also, Asus made a BIG mistake by placing the CPU and GPU too close together on the motherboard like they have.

As for whether it can be done (unlock the BIOS and flash the vBIOS)... of course it can be done.

People who have Linux have already done it.

Laptop OEM's don't do it though because they love to limit user access to laptops and think people are too dumb to do anything right themselves (even though people like me have to actually compensate for OEM deficiencies and design flaws).

BIOS is locked (even though it CAN be unlocked via bios extraction and editing software).

Mobile GPU's on AMD side have no access to Wattman under Windows... even though a lot of us only want to use it to improve the efficiency of the GPU inside and NOT overclock it (meaning, we simply want access to Voltages on both the core and VRAM).

The excuses OEM's use are mostly pathetic and only implement them to cover their own rear ends and inadequacies.

When I called Asus about a lot of these problems in GL702ZC, they couldn't give me a proper answer and I was being given responses by 'technical teams' who didn't even know anything about the laptops insides.

It was atrocious.

And when I RMA'd the laptop, I asked Asus to tell me what exactly caused the problem... to which they said: 'We don't know what caused the problem, but we can tell you we replaced the motherboard'.

Idiots... suffering through that kind of BAD customer support after paying £1550 for a ROG laptop is atrocious.

They knew the kind of hardware they were working with, and designing the laptop in a current capacity to me looks like the cooling was an afterthought.

My old Acer 5930G had a CPU and GPU that shared the same cooling assembly with just 1 fan... it was barely able to cool everything down adequately, but it did its job.

Asus on the other hand, can't seem to do the job properly using efficient AMD hardware to boot and two fans.

They can BARELY cool a 698W limited GPU (which is more efficient than mobile GTX 1060 limited to 80W - and same performance).

Oh and get this: Asus apparently didn't bother programming the CPU fans to cycle up until its temperature reaches 90 degrees celsius.

Marvelous feat of engineering that was.

I tell you, any decent engineer and BIOS programmer would instruct the CPU fan to cycle up the moment 50 degrees C mark is passed... and a cooling assembly, wouldn't have an utterly useless cooling pipe extending atop the RAM sticks (which makes RAM upgrade next to impossible without removing the cooling assembly).

Heat is only a problem in laptops when OEM's deliberately cut corners.

OEM's have already messed up more than enough laptops with AMD hardware by putting in subpar cooling systems, low quality screens, thermal throttling the APU's well below their upper limit to limit their performance (in addition to putting in only 1 RAM stick inside as opposed to two which would enable dual channel), didn't really offer SSD's, and then charged them to the same level as more expensive Intel options that had all the bells and whistles.

kingfish

If this is new....use the drivers furnished by Asus. If the laptop has the normal (for Asus) installation of Tweak3/GPU Tweak/or any other (Afterburner,Trixx,MSI,Asus).....these all have proven to conflict with AMD/Wattman controls and settings. I would try deleting them..after returning everything to application defaults...and clean installing the AMD drivers from Asus.

GPU clock not lowering on idle

defaul radeon wattman settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure rx480 8gb

Drivers seems to install correctly, but doesn't work on reboot

deksman2

Kingfish

Asus still hasn't released any official drivers or utilities for this laptop on their support page.

I raised the issue with Asus and this was their reply:

"Based on the available information I can advise you that we currently do not have drivers available on our website for this model. Your case was escalated with your initial request on the 18th of this month however we do not have a resolution yet for the problem and we kindly ask for your patience while our colleagues upload the requested files or we get an answer from the headquarters."

The laptop is very new, so this is probably why the drivers still aren't available on their product support page... but I'm glad I brought this issue up as it might expedite matters.

It's a bit odd to see a freshly released laptop with no product support on the OEM website. Usually they are ready upon release or even before.

Question: Will Wattman become available in the mobile drivers?

brolo

I have the same problem.

I have the lastest AMD Drivers installed and it says FreeSync "Not Supported" even though i have the same laptop as @deksman2 with a FreeSync monitor...

When will we have the appropriate drivers for this device?     

caretaker

Dude, if you have the same laptop, most likely you have it with windows 10 Home preinstalled, this issues that everyone mentioned above occur after the 1703+ windows updates not after ASUS or AMD driver updates. I experienced the same ones and after rolling back windows one update everything went back to normal, rocking 17.12.2 driver.

Settings -> Update&Recovery -> and there just roll back windows update (should take a while depending on where is your OS installed ssd/hdd.

Good luck!

pokester

I wish I had advice for your machine, but I don't. But I do have a few machines affected by the latest 1709 update of Windows. Since I didn't notice it mentioned, are you reporting this issue to Microsoft? They are the ones that seem to keep changing things that screw things up. I use the Feedback app in Windows to report every bug in Windows 10. I just sent one last night about memory leaks. They have responded to about 1/5th the bugs I have submitted in the last 2 years. It can't hurt to let them know too. They need to know when things worked fine and their updates mess it up.

thysia

Try installing the latest chipset provided in the ASUS Website.https://www.asus.com/ph/Laptops/ROG-Strix-GL702ZC/HelpDesk_Download/

Its Radeon Software 17.7. It worked for me. This was suggested by an agent in the ASUS support chat.

tkalfaoglu

About the heat: Yes, this laptop can heat up quite a bit. What I did is:

1) remove back cover, note where the two fans are.

2) drill two large holes right where the fans are on the back cover.

3) Install some screen over the holes so small objects won't get sucked in.

4) Instantly the laptop is cooler..