1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 14, 2017 3:24 AM by tymkoijn1

Need Help [Build] [PC 4K Edit - Cyberlink Power Director 15 Workstation]

thebert1031

I am currently building my 2nd PC EVER!!! I am building a workstation (NON-GAMER) that includes the needs of;

Graphic Design - Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, GIMP, Etc.

Photo Restoration - Photoshop, Gimp, Etc

Video Encoding, Transcoding, Decoding,

Plex Media Server, UTorrent, DLNA, Home Automation Features Control

4K Video Editing (Cyberlink Power Director Latest Version/Build - 30 FPS (1 Monitor 4K & 1 1080p or Even DVI) Dual Monitors

Current Build So Far

- Fractal Meshify C - 5 Fans, 2-140, 3-120

- ASUS ROG Strix B350 F Gaming Mobo

- Thermaltake - Smart Series GDP 700 W

- Windows 10 Pro 64 bit OEM

- Samsung Evo 960 - NVMe M.2 250GB Boot/Program Files Drive

- Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200 HDD

Parts Still In Question

- Ryzen 7 1700 vs. Ryzen 5 1600?

- Wraith Spire Cooler vs. AIO (Is it needed over the Wraith)?

- GPU that can handle my needs (Again I DON'T GAME - So I don't care about 80FPS +) I use PowerDirector 15 (Not Davinci Resolve) CUDA vs OpenCL? AMD vs. GTX Series?

- Will a GTX 1050 Ti work well?

RAM - There are so many conflicting views with RYZEN. Is it worth to OC to 3200 or leave at 2666?

I am getting DDR4 32gb, 2x16 Single Rank - Brand? Model that works great?

Additional Parts Added @ Another Time

- 250 GB SSD (For Current Projects)

- (2ND) Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200 HDD

- USB DVD Drive (Just in Case)- Clients Might Have Photos on a CD/DVD

Should I overclock anything? Bios Asus Settings?

That's a lot, but I hope someone has experience and can help. Video editing, not gaming.

• Re: Need Help [Build] [PC 4K Edit - Cyberlink Power Director 15 Workstation]
          tymkoijn1

for the graphics card It really depends on if you like opencl or cuda aceleration. AMD is king in open formats however if you want Cuda then all you can go with is Nvidia. I use Adobe Premire Pro for my video editing and it works best with Cuda acceleration. as for the processor it really depends on if you are doing multiple things or not. I use the 1700 myself and it works great. but you will want to overclock at least lightly. core speed is more important than core count with most programs.

For ram Trident Z or Geil works well and you will want the fastest AMP profile you can get up to at least 3000 mhz with the infinity fabric gaining more from faster ram than higher core speed. there has been some issues with 3200 MHZ ram but 3000 seems to be the sweet spot from what I have heard.

In regard to the cooler if you have the ability to overclock then by all means do it. the wraith cooler is very well made however i have noticed that with rendering being how it is you may want an after market cooler to keep the temps down if you overclock.

As for the the additional parts i would suggest a ssd to use as a scratch drive. with editing video especially at 4k you will want a beefy graphics card. At least a 1070 or R9 390. The RX versions other than vega were more of a mid teir graphics card. i know from personal experiance that the R9 390 can easily handle the 4k video i have thrown at it. but as i said it all depends on if you want Opencl or Cuda