AnsweredAssumed Answered

R9 270X not working after 17.10.1

Question asked by neszy on Oct 13, 2017
Latest reply on Jul 13, 2018 by anoriel

I started noticing some strange things happening when playing Warframe after I updated to 17.10.1. At first I experienced an odd "tearing" effect, and then my entire screen would go black before coming back on (the screen displaying "no input" when black)... eventually it got to the point where almost immediately after starting Warframe my graphics card seemed to cut out - if I didn't close the game at this point my PC would freeze up, displaying grey and black vertical lines on the screen and responding to no input. This was fixed at the time by turning my PC off and on again, and I thought I'd fixed the issue completely after using DDU and freshly installing 17.10.1 again.

The game worked for a while with no problems, so naturally I left it running when I went AFK. 30 minutes later and I came back to the same grey and black vertical lines I'd seen before. Upon restarting my PC, it blackscreened before Windows started. Restarting after this blackscreen caused Windows to load into its recovery mode so it could attempt to fix the error - this did nothing. The only thing that worked was safe mode which let me uninstall the AMD drivers I had or disable the card in Device Manager.

These recent threads seem very similar to what I'm experiencing, which is why I don't think it's an isolated issue:

At present, attempting to enable my R9 270X with any drivers (not just 17.10.1) causes my computer to blackscreen before Windows has loaded. Restarting leads back into the same "recovery mode" loop as I'd encountered before.

Note that Windows works and loads correctly when using my motherboard's on-board graphics. Before encountering this issue I'd also received occasional atikmpag/dag.sys BSOD errors as a result of bad drivers, but that doesn't appear to be the issue in this case. My CPU is running a little hot (60-70C) due to its years of usage, so I'll be replacing my heatsink tomorrow to rule out overheating as a possible cause. Note that prior to installing 17.10.1 I had played Warframe for some 15-20 hours over a period of two weeks with no issues.

Graphics Card: R9 270X

Operating System: Windows 7 64bit

Driver Version Installed: N/A

Display Devices: BenQ 1920x1080, 60Hz

Motherboard/BIOS: Gigabye 970A-UD3P / American Megatrends Inc. F1

CPU: AMD FX-8320

PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W

RAM: 8GB

Any help would be appreciated.

Outcomes