8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2017 9:41 AM by moonstar

Blue screen while playing Guild Wars 2

histoplasma

Hi there.

I have some trouble with the amd's drivers. I have a RX 460 Radeon, since I got it, I never could play Guild Wars 2 without a crash. (It was either a "white screen" and the game quit, or a blue screen and my computer has to restart).

I have the latest version of the drivers :

Driver Packaging Version

17.30.1041-170720a-316469C-CrimsonReLive

• AMD Graphics Card
        • AMD RX 460 Radeon (4GB)
      • Desktop
      • Operating System
        • Windows 7 / 64 bit
      • Driver version installed
        • 17.30.1041-170720a-316469C-CrimsonReLive
      • Display Devices
        • (Left) HP L2151ws; HDMI; 1920x1080 @59Hz
        • (Right) Philips 170S; DVI; 1280x1024 @60Hz
      • Motherboard + Bios Revision
        • MSI 970 Gaming (MS-7693) BIOS Version 04.0605
      • CPU/APU
        • AMD FX-8300 (8 cores) ~3.3GHz
      • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
        • Corsair VS450 (450W)
      • RAM
        • 8 GB (DDR3)

I ran WhoCrashed after a blue screen, and the software told me this :

On Sat 14/10/2017 00:09:52 your computer crashed
      crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\101417-15522-01.dmp
      This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (atikmpag+0xF7F8)
      Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8007C3E250, 0xFFFFF88004C0F7F8, 0x0, 0x2)
      Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
      file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmpag.sys
      product: AMD driver
      company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
      description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver
      Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
      A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
      Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

Do anyone has an idea of what's going on my computer ?

Many thanks.

• Re: Blue screen while playing Guild Wars 2
          histoplasma

Hi there.

I just have right now an other blue screen (while playing guild wars 2).

WhoCrashed reported me this :

On Sun 22/10/2017 19:11:17 your computer crashed
          crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\102217-13946-01.dmp
          This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (atikmpag+0xF7F8)
          Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA800D7AF010, 0xFFFFF88004C0F7F8, 0x0, 0x2)
          Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
          A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).

On Sun 22/10/2017 19:11:17 your computer crashed
          crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
          This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (0xFFFFF88004C0F7F8)
          Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA800D7AF010, 0xFFFFF88004C0F7F8, 0x0, 0x2)

I've sent a ticket to AMD developpers like two weeks ago, but I never got an answer. I'm a little desperate. I've tried this little tuto (Graphics driver stopped responding and has recovered....TDR fix ) from a guy who seems to have the same problem as me, but it obviously didn't worked at all.

If you need any other information about my device or hardware, please ask me !

Thank you

moonstar

I used a 970 once with a FX 6300 and had a similar issue.  My first advice is to enter the BIOS and disable Turbo.  Test it out and see if the issue continues.  If it does, try a full clean driver install. 

histoplasma

Hi moonstar, thank you so much for your respond !

I've try your solution, and unfortunatly, it didn't worked. I got another BSOD...

Right here the report (I don't know if it has an utility, but, who knows.)

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Wed 25/10/2017 00:57:51 your computer crashed
                crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\102517-14991-01.dmp
                Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8007682130, 0xFFFFF88004B6A7F8, 0x0, 0x2)

On Wed 25/10/2017 00:57:51 your computer crashed
                This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (0xFFFFF88004B6A7F8)
                Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8007682130, 0xFFFFF88004B6A7F8, 0x0, 0x2)

I will try to reinstall the drivers, but I've already tried this so many times. (I've got this problem since probably one year).

By the way, I've sent an other e mail to AMD two days ago, still no answer.

histoplasma

I've try a full clean drivers install, but no, I still have BSOD

Here, WhoCrashed report :

On Fri 27/10/2017 16:48:15 your computer crashed
                  crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\102717-13728-01.dmp
                  Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA800707E4E0, 0xFFFFF88004D3E7F8, 0x0, 0x2)

On Fri 27/10/2017 16:48:15 your computer crashed
                  This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (0xFFFFF88004D3E7F8)
                  Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA800707E4E0, 0xFFFFF88004D3E7F8, 0x0, 0x2)

histoplasma

Hi everyone

Today I've try to put a better power supply (I've a 450W, and I've switch to a 550W. But the problem still here, I've got a white screen almost instantly).

Also, I still got no response from AMD support... 

histoplasma

Hi !

Yesterday, I've tried to use only one screen (the 60hz one), but the problem is the same...

moonstar

Do you have the same issue with any other games or programs?  Also, have you tried monitoring your temps on your CPU and GPU while playing?

My friend had a similar issue when playing WoW on his FX 8320 / R7 380 build.  The issue was 1) his AIO cooler had leaked out on his GPU, both were damaged.  I installed a good Cooler Master air cooler and a new GPU, problem solved.  If you have a AIO and if it feels super hot, then chances are it has leaked its coolant.  Check the top of your GPU for dried water spots.  If you have both, you may be able to have the GPU RMA'd but will need a new AIO.