3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2017 1:47 PM by synchronic

PC Crash/Black Screen after updating drivers from pre-Wattman to latest - Sapphire 290x Tri-X OC 4GB

synchronic

Hi there

I've been encountering a issue that has reappeared for the first time since I was using "Overdrive" in AMD Settings, I managed to stop my card from crashing the system by slightly underclocking it, and raising the maximum power usage to 50%.

But since installing the latest drivers and software (only because required for the Star Wars Battlefront II Beta) I've been getting the crashes to black screen, with the entire system becoming non-responsive (caps/num lock don't work etc..) I can't seem to get Wattman to achieve the same "fix" for my card, in the underclocking and power usage range increase at least.

I've since tried uninstalling all drivers with DDU, and using just Sapphire's Trixx software, since my card is a Sapphire 290x Tri-X OC 4GB, but when I tried to play games again with just that and the minimal installation of the Radeon drivers, my performance is decreased by like 40% on Star Wars Battlefront II, much lower FPS on the same graphical settings. Yet to encounter a crash with just the Trixx downclocking/increasing voltage allowance, but it has hit my game performance a lot so I am hoping to find a scenario where I can have the full performance I had, but without the crashes.

Anyone able to offer any advice, maybe I am just not using Wattman correctly to stabalise my card, since the new UI is much more complicated than the original one in Overdrive.

Thanks!