15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2018 5:42 AM by dafoe

FirePro S7150x2 configuration issues on ESXi 6.5!!

ncchetan

Hi,

I am trying to setup 2 units of S7150x2 GPUs on a Cisco C-series C240 M4 server running ESX6.5.

The use case is for presenting vGPUs for Windows 10 VDI VMs in a Horizon View deployment.

Here are the issues I am running into:

1. No Virtual Functions detected. Ensure that GPU's that you want to virtualize are not in Passthrough mode.

I have followed the setup guide and set various parameters as discussed in the guide ( BIOS settings, such as Intel vD, Memory mapped IO > 4GB etc).

The server recognizes the card. Both the vibs were installed on the host for ESXi 6.5 as directed in the guide.

However, the problem I run into is that when I run the mxgpuset.sh -a, it always comes back to say the following -

"

No Virtual Functions detected. Ensure that GPU's that you want to virtualize are not in Passthrough mode.

Please reboot the system before running "sh mxgpu-install.sh -a"

"

Even though the server has been restarted and in maintenance Mode. The GPUs are NOT in passthrough mode.

All the vibs are correctly installed and listed.

2. The RadeonPro plugin for vSphere Client (using MOB) was successful, and I can confirm that via the vSphere web client interface.

However, the plug-in which is only supported for the vSphere Client (HTML5) does not show up as suggested in the documentation.

Have they been tested by someone from your team on C240 M4 for ESXi 6.5? Ideally, I would like to setup some time to discuss these issues (given below) and workarounds that were used, if any.

Basically, I have followed their setup and am running into the following issues.

1. 1. Upon installation of the GPUs, they show up in the inventory (both on UCSM and the ESXi host, but while configuring them for assignment to the VMs suing the mxgpu-install.sh script, I get the following message -

“No Virtual Functions detected. Ensure that GPU's that you want to virtualize are not in Passthrough mode.”

1. 2. The RadeonPro plugin for vSphere Client (using MOB) was successful, and I can confirm that via the vSphere web client interface.

However, the plug-in which is only supported for the vSphere Client (HTML5) does not show up as suggested in the documentation.

3. As per step#3.3“VF Pass through” on page 10 of http://www2.ati.com/relnotes/setup-guide-mxgpu-setup-for-vmware.pdf (17 page guide), once the mxgpu_insall.sh script is used to automatically configure VFs, they are supposed to appear for passthrough to the VMs, but, I do not see them listed on any of the hosts for Direct Path I/O.

Note: The GPUs are NOT in passthrough mode.

What am I missing??