AnsweredAssumed Answered

Rx 470 Black Screen While Gaming

Question asked by thedemonlord on Oct 3, 2017
Latest reply on Oct 14, 2017 by thedemonlord

Greetings,

I purchased a custom built PC less than a year ago, a few months after using it I started getting a black screen that wasn't very often while gaming but recently I've been getting the black screen more frequently than before.

I used to be able to run games such as Battlefield 1 on Ultra High details with no issues at all, all games were running just fine; up until I started getting the black screens which are now happening around 5 minutes into gaming. In addition, the PC internal lights are still on, keyboard and mouse lights are on, PC fans are functional.

PC Specs:

• CPU:              Intel Core i5 6600K.
  • RAM:             16 GB.
  • GPU:              AMD Radeon Rx 470.
  • Motherboard: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming.
  • GPU Driver:   Crimson ReLive 17.7.2.

What I have tried so far:

1. Running games in windowed mode does not change the outcome.
  2. I have just done a clean installation of Windows and re-installed everything.
  3. I have done tonnes of research on this matter, none of the results resolved my issue (including this forum).
  4. Before doing the clean installation, I have upgraded to driver edition 17.9.3, outcome did not change.
  5. I do not have another PC around to test the card in another machine.
  6. The black screen only occurs during gaming, no issues while watching movies (3D) or browsing.
  7. I have a Logitech monitor and GPU temperatures are within the 70 degrees c range (temperatures rise to the 90s but then decrease slowly) even as the black screen occurs (application stops updating when the black screen appears).
  8. I can only force shutdown my PC when this happens and reboot, no messages appear after rebooting.

Edit: Needed to add a few more notes to clarify the issue.

I did not change any of the settings in my BIOS or Wattman and when I checked the BIOS settings they were set to "Normal".

I remember as problems were starting I was actually updating my Radeon driver for the first time after purchasing the graphics card when suddenly the screen turned black, it had stayed black for more than 30 minutes before I knew it was time to manually reboot my system, then installed the driver again by manually downloading it from AMDs website (although all was working just fine even when the update 'failed').

I have no idea if support for XFX products is extended to where I live so maybe I can replace the card but it seems the only option now is to actually buy another one, which is not going to happen any time soon.

Message was edited by: Mohammed Al-Salti

Outcomes