1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 2, 2017 9:14 AM by patrick0844

A new box: Ryzen 7 1700 processor, Gigabyte AM4 motherboard, Radeon RX Vega 56 video card.  I successfully installed Windows 10 Pro but Windows doesn't recognize the card.  I downloaded a driver set from AMD but it says "Graphic Card Awaits" and never ins

patrick0844

What I'm really looking for is some explanation for what the phrase "Graphic Card Awaits" means.  Somebody must know because the computer didn't make it up. 

The main technical stuff missing from the question are the motherboard name: Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming, and the memory.  16 Gigs on the motherboard, 8 Gigs on the video card.

Also, here's the name of the driver file that hangs with that indecipherable message: radeon-crimson-relive-17.9.3-minimalsetup-170927_web

• Re: A new box: Ryzen 7 1700 processor, Gigabyte AM4 motherboard, Radeon RX Vega 56 video card.  I successfully installed Windows 10 Pro but Windows doesn't recognize the card.  I downloaded a driver set from AMD but it says "Graphic Card Awaits" and never
          patrick0844

I am replying to my own message.  At some point it occurred to me to try running the AMD driver set as administrator.  It worked!  I have never had to run a driver set as administrator before but my Windows is Windows 19 Pro, 64 bits.  I got a deal on the license key.  It has been years since I have run a "Pro" version of Windows so I don't remember if it is usual to have to run driver installation as administrator.  My problem now is that no subsequent driver set has run correctly, even as administrator, so I am still running version 17.9.3.  And Windows Update now fails.  So the recent major update is marked as "failed" when I check my update history.  I toyed with the idea of buying an NVIDIA card and giving up on AMD but this is the most expensive graphics card I have ever bought and I couldn't make myself turn it into a paperweight.  It looks like the NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1070 ti is equivalent in power and at least on "Cyber Monday" cost slightly less than my Vega 56.  I wish I could find someone who is successfully running the Vega 56 on a Gigabyte motherboard so I could know that what I am trying to do is not impossible.  I found several cries of pain on the web about the Vega cards, always on Gigabyte motherboards.