23 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2017 10:17 AM by spikeypup

Dedicated video card isn't working!

crim3s

Hello AMD's forums.

I have an problem. I can't figure out what is the reason why my NEW notebook which I bought four day's ago works kinda slow for fresh system right out of store. Yes, i can scrool throught websites with small hiccups, maybe when it need's to load more information, for example when i open multiple sites at Google Chrome. But's thats a task's i thing new PC' (540€) should handle smoothly. Am I' right? Ehh...

I download League of Legends, CS:GO, Rocket League to test out this computer. All games runs on low setting (10-30 fps) , depending on actions and processes happening on the screen. It's disastrous performance. YES' i checked online videos. Searched for the exactly the same notebook as main. And other's can handle even more performance costly games like Battlefield 1 or GTA V.

So I've have an AMD Radeon™ R5 M430 Graphics (2 GB DDR3 dedicated) videocard which supposedly isn't active after all.

I installed all newest windows updates. Installed newest AMD drivers. I have 17.7.2 Radeon Software version, that one with ReLive.Checked if  HP Support Assistant is up to date, if there is updates to install. Also there is everything updated. Installed newest BIOS update from HP site. !!! Also tried reinstalling AMD drives by selecting my notebook specific's at their site. Also completely wiped out drivers, then reinstalled.

Power is set to high performance, plugged in cable,

One think certainly is weird af. I opened Device Manager to check if I can see my dedicated video card. Click'ed on Display adapters, only shows integrated one - AMD Radeon (TM) R5 Graphics. Also at Radeon Setting screen, where is system spec's. Hardware show's - AMD Radeon(TM) R5 Graphics (Primary/Integrated) with no clue of dedicated one.

I'm hopelessly searching for reasonable answer how to activated/switch or whatever called that process of switching from integrated to dedicated videocard.

Want answers. Thanks!

• Re: Dedicated video card isn't working!
          kingfish

Need to know what processor/APU.

Laptop graphics update...How to

kingfish

When you look in Device Manager..any yellow marks?

dreamager

If device manager and Radeon settings are both showing AMD Radeon (TM) R5 Graphics, then that's surely the M430 that's detected? Looking here the 17.7.2 drivers mention support for M300 but not M400 chips, so maybe best to clean uninstall the radeon drivers and let windows 10 install the latest it deems compatible and see how they run.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                crim3s

Haven't reinstalled windows 10' yet because of University work. Do i install windows 7 instead of windows 10? I feel like something is wrong with drivers and windows 10 uses too much of CPU power. No clue to do tbh...

spikeypup

I wouldn't go that far yet, sorry I haven't followed up yet on that laptop model, I've been sick last couple days and then really busy today catching up, I will get to it when I get back from an appointment later tonight.

Spikeypup

crim3s

PC Tech guy said that this laptop supports windows 10 officially and can handle it. Don't know, because atm it definitely can't.

spikeypup

Ok so I did some research on this, because as I've learned, no two switchable graphics scenarios ever seem to be the same.  And there is good reason, depending on how the integrator or manufacturer has configured, installed, and literally wired the discrete gpu in conjunction with the iGPU built into your APU, different things will work, and some will not.  For right now we are trying to solve the issue of why you cannot get your R5 Discrete M430 2GB DDR3 GPU to appear at all in devices.

Here is a preface... It is my hunch that to achieve the most power savings possible this laptop will operate in what in HP terms is known as "Dynamic Switchable Graphics Mode", which in fact most laptops today do, for the power savings, another mode known as "Fixed Switchable Graphics Mode" is exactly as it sounds, you pick the GPU you want to use for everything, and then boom, there it is.  Now because more than likely you are on Dynamic, that means there is probably a switching controller involved for the display as well as the obvious graphics switch that will need to be there to switch between the iGPU and discrete and the APU, as some apps will opt to use the iGPU and some will opt for the discrete, but all will be displayed on your LCD, so in essence it's kind of a bridge rather than a switch.

Ok so who cares and what does this all mean?  Well... because manufacturers and integrators are free to design things however they want, within specs and limits, that means they can use any variety of bridging and switching circuits they want/need to accomplish the task.  It also means that they need to write their own drivers in most cases because few rarely use the reference design that allows the Crimson switchable to work from the website directly, in my experience anyway.  In fact, many times on those units when you try to install the web drivers, it will start to install and then tell you that you cannot and you must install the drivers from the manufacturer of your laptop, this is generally because they've detected something that will not work with the reference design/driver setup and requires custom components/code from the manufacturer.

Windows won't really know with granularity that you have a specific type of switchable situation, it just sees the APU and if the other discrete is active, that too, and if you are lucky that it sees both, then often the web drivers WILL work, because AMD has baked in a way to make that work and also be compliant with mGPU depending on chips.  So you'll have a primary and a secondary and it will usually pick the stronger as the primary, and the weaker as secondary, and WDDM complies and all is happy.  But if not, then it will typically allow you to control via the "Switchable Graphics" interface via the "Additional Radeon Settings" panel or the "Switchable Graphics" section under "System" in 17.7.2+.

So why doesn't your discrete GPU show up?  I'm wagering because windows overwrote the original driver package that HP wrote and the hardware switch/bridge that connects that GPU to the PCI/PCIe bus is no longer in communication with the driver stack, and as such it is dormant and not actively attaching the discrete GPU.  This is just my belief at this point, I'm not 100% sure, but based on what we've talked about and what you've said, that is what it seems like.

The solution?  You won't like this.  You need to try the HP branded drivers first and foremost to see what kind of response the hardware gives... the journey begins below...

If you haven't done so already, please ensure that your main BIOS is up to date, they just released back in July, I included the link for you, also please be sure that you have CHECK YOUR BIOS THOROUGLY for any options pertaining to graphics, ANY option, and report that back if there is something there, it is still possible that they are disabled there and all this will be for not if you don't check that first.  Look for anything that says Display/Graphics/GPU/VGA/iGPU/Discrete/External Graphics/GFX/PCIe  it could even be under Power Saving settings, so check all the settings first.

The steps below assume you've READ this entire post, all the way to the bottom and have downloaded the necessary files from the links I have included, please do not proceed with this guide until you have read the WHOLE thing clearly and understand it completely, and have the files ready to go.  If you decide to update the BIOS, do that before you do anything else.

Fun Times Starts Here:

1. Have "device installation settings" in windows set to "disabled/NO" first, turn off Wi-Fi via the hardware switch or disable the Wi-Fi adapter manually in Windows, or disconnect your Ethernet Cable or both.

2. Ensure your Power Options Settings - Power Plan is set to "High Performance", and double check in that plan to see if there is anything pertaining to the discrete or integrated GPU, sometimes manufacturers can control the switching of graphics through a power plan GUID option as well, so check in the High Performance plan for anything pertaining to graphics and set accordingly.

2. Use DDU in Safe Mode, NO NETWORKING to remove all AMD, then reboot into standard mode

3. Wait a few minutes, ensure that your computer is still offline, and is not doing anything, check the drive & CPU activity in Task Manager, as long as you are sitting at 1-4% you should be idling.

4. Install the HP provided package.  Now from there then we have to see if it (the GPU) does in fact appear.  The driver should install appropriate components and drivers for both the APU and the R5 M430 discrete, and it looks like we are talking 16.300 is the latest that HP worked on this.  You may end up being stuck at that revision.  Once installation is complete follow the instructions to reboot etc. 

5. Go the the AMD Radeon Settings Panel, it's the old panel so I'm not familiar enough to guide you, it's been too long, so reference the Switchable HP graphics guide I linked to in order to check your switchable graphics situation.

6. If you have the option, and can select between the two, then we know that was the issue.

Now you have an option and it's up to you.  From this version, you can try to leap frog to Crimson 17.7.2 and try to allow that switchable mechanism work with it, and it might, I don't know, it's possible that as long as it can see the hardware as present, it can enumerate the bridge/switch and the discrete for installation, I just don't know, there are a lot of variables.  IF you decide to do this, then download the driver package you will need AMD.COM FIRST with the link below, because you still need to have your computer offline during all of this to prevent Windows Update from grabbing and interfering in the process.  So you'll want to have the HP package, as well as the AMD package ready before you start step #1 above. 

Option to attempt to get more current Crimson drivers:

7. once you've rebooted and confirmed switchable status, reboot another time, again staying offline.

8. attempt to install the AMD package that you downloaded, it will either fail and say it cannot, or it will proceed as normal.

9. DO NOT PERFORM A CLEAN INSTALLATION OR USE DDU BEFOREHAND, I believe this may wipe out information the installer will need to make this successful or turn the bridge/switch off, so attempt to perform an "Express Install" if the option is given, if not, just do a regular install or what not without engaging a "Clean Install".

10. If it succeeds it will prompt you to restart.

11. Hold your breath, but not too hard.

12. Upon reboot, check to see if the drivers in fact updated to crimson relive, if they did, then check under "System" for the switchable graphics panel.

13. If switchable is there, and under Hardware you see both cards, then guess what, it worked.  Now just use Switchable Graphics panel to adjust your games to the discrete/High Performance graphics options for each one.

If the option DID NOT WORK, then you are stuck with the HP Package to ensure proper switchable graphics operation.  You should start over at Step #1 and don't go past step #6 in that case. 

Please Read First:

HP Notebook PCs - Switchable Graphics on Notebooks Configured with Intel and ATI GPUs | HP® Customer Support

Download these for installation:

Carrizo APU Graphics Drivers From HP CONTAINS BOTH GPU'S DRIVERS FOR SWITCHABLE: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp78001-78500/sp78246.exe

Latest Bios for your machine: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81001-81500/sp81110.exe

Latest AMD Package To Support YOUR APU And M430 chip: APU 

Source for these files (For your exact model) can be found at this link:

HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support

Good luck!  I hope you get the results you desire, no it won't be quick and it might be frustrating, but this is the best advice I can give you right now, and between the research and writing this up, I sure hope this works lol.  Good luck buddy!

Spikeypup