25 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2018 6:27 AM by simonvarez

Black Screen During General Usage - R9 390 Windows 10

jackablade

I’m having a lot of trouble with my screen glitching, very briefly then going black until computer is rebooted. This occurs during during general usage in Windows 10. There’s no obvious trigger for the blackout. The time before it happens varies considerably between a couple of minutes and several hours. It sometimes occurs when I’m not interacting with the computer at all, sometimes clicking around in Chrome, several times while I’ve been working in Maya. Windows appears to keep running while the screen is black. Spotify will continue to play music and files will complete copying. Prior to this, the system has run fine for well over a year.

I’m running an MSI Radeon R9 390. The Problem began with drivers 17.6.1 (though not right after I installed it) and persists on 17.7.2 and  17.9.3, which were installed cleanly.

I’ve installed MSI afterburner to keep an eye on my GPU temperature which sits between 55 and 60 degrees while I’m using Windows and around 85 in the likes of Overwatch.

I’ve run Malwarebytes and Windows Defender’s scanner without finding anything.

Updated motherboard software and BIOS.

Downloaded the latest windows updates

Scanned my RAM for any problems

Run DISM and SFC

There’s probably half a dozen other things that I’ve tried to varying degrees of usefulness. I’m running out of ideas. I’ve read about a lot of black screen problems in Windows 10, but nothing that seems to match up exactly with what I’ve got going on here.

Relevant specs are:

Intel Core i7 4790

ASUS B85M-G Motherboard

MSI Radeon R9 390 G

Dual monitors

16GB RAM

750W Power Supply

Windows 10 64bit

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

• Re: Radeon R9 390 black screens during general windows usage
          elstaci

MSI Afterburner causes conflicts with AMD Wattman. Its best to uninstall it but be sure to hit default settings before doing so.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            jackablade

Issue is still occurring following:

Removing Afterburner and Rivatuner

Rolling back to earlier (17.7.1) drivers, (albeit mostly to get Overwatch working properly)

Reseating GPU and checking for dust and any other obvious problems.

mack0y

Have the same card.  What do you mean by screen glitching exactly?  Can you take a photo when it happens?

jackablade

It flickers once with a bunch of white horizontal bars on a black background. That's gone in a fraction of a second and the screen goes black

mack0y

Are both the monitors connected to the R9 390?  Do they lose signal after they go black?

jackablade

Both monitors are connected to the card. I don't think they lose signal - I assume there'd be "no signal" message on the screen if that were to happen, right? The screens remain black, but illuminated.

mack0y

Your are right.  I assume you tried to unplug and re-plug the monitors after the issue occurs.

• What is the PSU model?
                              • Does it happen with a single monitor connected?
                              • Are there any related error logs in Event Viewer?

It could be the card is not stable.  I would start by reinstalling MSI Afterburner (use current latest version beta 18) and increase power limit to 50%.  Don't use Wattman.

jackablade

The PSU is a "Fractal Design 750W Integra M"

I had a poke about in the Event Editor. I'm not familiar with it, so I don't know what I'm looking at or for exactly, but this here in the System log seems to correlate with the crashes

EventEditorError.jpg

I've uninstalled Wattman and reinstalled Afterburner.

I haven't tested much with a single monitor yet. If its notable, I've been running one monitor on DVI and another on HDMI. It hasn't previously been an issue

If the black screen occurs while playing Overwatch, it'll lock up entirely with looping sound.

mack0y

I know you had more success with previous driver versions.  But if I were you, I would use DDU and install the 17.9.3 drivers. Then in Afterburner start by:

1. Setting the power limit to 50%.  If no success,
                                      2. Underclock the core clock to 1000MHz since the MSI card comes with a factory overclock of 1040MHz.  If no success,
                                      3. Increase the core voltage.  I would start with +10mv.  You will need to unlock voltage control in the AB settings.  Make sure you keep an eye on temps.

Also can you list the VRM temperatures when in idle and under load?  You can use GPU-z to view those.

jackablade

I've bumped up the power limit to 50%. No other Afterburner changes yet.

Looking at GPU-Z, the idle temperature is around 52-54. This appears to be a few degrees higher than it has been when I've checked previously, but is likely because Afterburner is handling the power and cooling.

I tried to use Overwatch as a GPU load. The game ran at pretty solid 72, occasionally going up to 74 when things onscreen got hectic. At one point, going into the character select menu caused the fans to spin up and the heat to spike to 77 and then blackscreen. I'd guess the temperature may have actually been higher, but the screen blacked out before GPU-Z had a chance to fully display it.

Overwatch is a bit finicky, so I've picked up Furmark to get a better demonstration. Update shortly.

EDIT: Furmark stress test runs for about 2 seconds before blackscreen. I've tried it several times with the same result. Temperature hits 75 on GPU-Z

mack0y

Did you try to underclock the core clock to 1000MHz?  Or increase the voltage?  What about the VRM temperatures?

jackablade

I've been running at 1000 MHz for a little while and haven't had any crashes. It's too early to say it's fixed yet, but it's looking hopeful so far.

VRM temperatures are 56 and 44 idle and 64 and 44 under load.

jackablade

Problem still occuring at 1000 MHz. Happened while running Maya which uses a not particularly system insensitive Direct X 11 viewport renderer.

VRM temperature's are currently running at 55 and 71 following a reboot after blackscreen. That's a pretty big temperature jump from the consistent 44 I was getting on temeprature 2 yesterday, even while under load.

Going to delay messing with the voltage while the temperature is so high

EDIT: I had a better dig through the event editor right after the crash and have attached some images of the logs. There's a string of warnings and errors. Some of them are presumably due to the computer being shut down from the power button, but there may be something notable there. Logs appear newest to oldest.

If I'm reading it right, Maya throws an error before the crash from igdrcl64.dll which seems to be an Intel graphics driver. The onboard graphics chip is disabled and never been used.

EDIT 2: igdrcl64.dll may actually be an OpenCL driver. Hard to ever get a straight answer on anything =/

mack0y

You can ignore the DistributedCOM error.  Not related.  The WudfRd  error looks be related to USB device or controller.  Do you use Logitech?  I did find this that is similar to your issue.  The kernel-power errors are due to not shutting down cleanly.  Don't worry about those. 

The igdrcl64.dll is the most interesting. You said it is disabled.  Can you make sure the Intel HD Graphics 4600  in Device Manager is not listed? And also check the control panel that the drivers are not installed.  Although having both shouldn't be a problem.  I have them both enabled but I don't use Maya.  If not installed, try to enable and install the latest version.  When playing games, do the WudfRd and igdrcl64.dll errors occur?

Which BIOS version are you running?

pieknu

I’m facing the same problem. It starts with some glitches. White stripes in the background. Suddenly in random moments both screens go black. But they still get a signal. Also after 30 min, they still receive a signal. The system seems to hang after that maybe. The funny thing is, that this doesn’t happen, when I remove the driver and use the default windows VGA driver. I can watch videos on YT and Netflix, without any problems. But with the driver, it only works for some min. Sometimes 2 min, sometimes 5. Sometimes 15 min and sometimes it already gets a black screen trying to login. I had this problem some months ago. It helped to remove the driver in recovery using DDU and installing it new. But now it doesn’t work. I tried old driver 17.6.1 and the newest and some like 17.2.1 and 17.1 etc. Still facing black screens. The funny thing is, it’s just like your problem. I already tried some things from the internet. They sadly didn’t work. I tried an old GTX 660 ti. Installed their drivers and it just worked fine. I could run FurMark for an hour without problem. I could play games without problems. After going back to my R9 390 I tested all my RAM cards, one by one. Same problem with Black screens. The Card is running fine without any driver, but after I installed them, it’s just a hell. I had to write this post 5 times. After that I removed the driver to write this post. Way too many black screens.

Before the screen goes black, it flickers with white stripes, then it goes black.

The card is now 1 and a half year old.

My System:

CPU: Xeon E3 1241 v3

PSU: 650W

GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro

16GB Ram

2 Screens/monitors

Windows 7

mack0y

Besides the same issue, you both also have two monitors connected to the GPU.   I also use two monitors but one is connected to the Intel iGPU.  Will connect the second monitor to the R9 390 and check if the issue happens to me.

flyguy94

I recently bought this gpu second hand and I couldn't find anyone with thesame problem as me until now.

My primary monitor works perfectly fine and is connected via dvi this one is 1080p. My second monitor is connected via displayport and is a 4k monitor.

The 4K monitor also randomly gets lines and goes black. Sometimes fiddling with the gpu scaling settings gets the monitor to give picture for some seconds and then black again. Sometimes I get the monitor to behave and the screen works for the whole day but this is rare.

• Re: Black Screen During General Usage - R9 390 Windows 10
                                            jackablade

A slightly delayed conclusion to this thread - I wound up sending the card back to the manufacturer as it was still under warranty, and they found it to be faulty and replaced it.

Thanks to the folks who helped out with this whole ordeal.

• Re: Black Screen During General Usage - R9 390 Windows 10
                                              simonvarez

Tiendan Bar a domicilio en Argentina, ofrece las mejores bebidas y ofrece el ingreso al club de la cerveza

https://www.bevybar.com.ar/