3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2017 1:28 AM by antbassolino

Ryzen 1800x Speed and Temps are up and down at Idle

antbassolino

Hey all,

This is my first build ever and first time posting here and wanted to post and share my concern. Ill post my build list below that will help navigate my problem/situation a little easier. So whenever I check the Ryzen Master software I notice that my temps and speed are shooting up and down every second or so. Temps range from 25 degrees to 38. The speed is more of my concern as I see it shooting from 2.2Ghz to 3.7 constantly as well. Ill post the video/Gif of it below to give you an idea of what it looks like. Im also not 100 percent certain im getting my proper RAM speeds as well. It shows about 1500mhz in my corsair link software and they are 3000mhz RAM sticks. I clocked it up in the ASRock BIOS (Which I hear is very buggy and can be a pain to clock correctly, maybe thats why these things are happening?) to 2933 which I believe is correct. Again, Im new to the whole PC building process and dont really care too much to OC the CPU or any other components right now, I just wanna make sure everything is running as it should at its stock speeds until much later down the line where im comfortable overclocking it. I'm happy to post more info and specs if needed tonight when I get home from work.

Video/Gif of Ryzen Master Software: https://thumbs.gfycat.com/VigilantCraftyEastrussiancoursinghounds-size_restricted.gif

PC Build:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bDwfQV

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1800X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair - H110i 113.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: ASRock - X370 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory: Corsair - Dominator Platinum 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card

Case: NZXT - S340 (Matte White/Purple) ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

• Re: Ryzen 1800x Speed and Temps are up and down at Idle
          black_zion

When a computer is at "idle" there are still processes going on that are going to use a small part of CPU time. The way Ryzen is designed and Windows 10 is programmed the CPU is allowed to switch clocks and voltages much more rapidly than before, which means it can spend more time in a lower power state (and therefore cooler), kick up for a second or two into a turbo frequency which increases the heat by 10°C or so, and then drop back down.

As for RAM, Ryzen is very picky about which RAM it uses correctly. Corsair has a list on their website for Ryzen compatible modules.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              antbassolino

I'm not exactly seeing my exact RAM on they're site but they do list the (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit (CMD16GX4M2B3000C15) which I would assume is just like mine only I have 2x16gb cards instead but the SAME speed. It sounds like from what most are saying that speed jumps and temps are normal so I guess I shouldn't worry too much, Just wanted to see what others thought of this or if they had this same situation and if it needed to be handled.

parsec_

Your description of the CPU speed and temperature changes seen in Ryzenmaster is completely normal, and is what you should be seeing. There is nothing wrong.

Even if you are not doing anything on the PC, Windows is constantly doing things, and putting various loads on the CPU while performing different tasks in the background. Modern processors heat up and cool down quickly with changing loads, and the temperatures you listed are not at all high.

About your memory, we use DDRx memory, which mean Double Data Rate. Whatever the true memory frequency is, like 1,500MHz, the actual memory speed is double that, or 3,000. Corsair link is simply reporting the memory frequency, not the actual resulting memory speed. Actually, the correct units for memory speed is Mega-Transfers per second (MT/s), since the resulting DDR speed is not really a frequency. If someone does not understand the relationship between memory frequency and memory speed, then they may be setting the "speed" of their memory incorrectly in the UEFI/BIOS. The result of that can be a pain, but is just their mistake.

There is no problem with setting memory speed in the UEFI/BIOS of your ASRock board. You probably heard about the early UEFI/BIOS versions used with Ryzen mother boards. Ryzen processors were released before all the work on the UEFI's were complete, and AMD is still providing new versions of the Ryzen processor microcode to mother board manufactures (called AGESA updates), that are a part of the UEFI/BIOS files. All mother board manufactures were affected by this.

It sounds like your board has an early UEFI version in it, with the older AGESA 1.0.0.4a version, if you cannot select a memory speed of 3000. That AGESA version did not support a memory speed of 3000, and instead it would be set to 2933 automatically. AMD's AGESA 1.0.0.6 update added support for more memory speeds, including 3000. I'm sure there is a UEFI update with the latest AGESA version 1.0.0.6b for your board, if you are interested.

Some advice for the first time PC builder. If you think something is wrong, check into it thoroughly before deciding it is wrong and an issue exists. Until you have a few years of experience building PCs, your knowledge base is simply incomplete. Everyone experiences this.

1 of 1 people found this helpful