7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2017 10:13 PM by kxuping

APU's

jlfranklin28@yahoo.com

I am looking to build my wife a desktop for her cricut machine. It doesn't need to be overly powerful. And was thinking of doing an APU build. So, who has used an APU build and what do you suggest? BTW i want to go the AM4 socket apu.

• Re: APU's
          staggeredsix

You could get an A12, an A320 board and some rams. That should get you going

staggeredsix

Aye. I was suggesting A320 if your wife is going to be puttering around. B350 will let you pinch that CPU in the bum and get it into rocket status. Usually APU builds don't use overclocking because they are a well rounded budget chip with graphics onboard. Also x370 is pretty overkill for the upcoming APUs. At that point Id suggest an R5 with dedicated graphics over an APU - unless you're getting your foot in the door and expect to upgrade the CPU and purchase a video card later. Or if you need the PCIE slots.

darkwolfca

as the others have said  definitely go with the B350 board they are not much more and will be a large improvement if you put a R5 in it later down the road. you might even look into like a ryzen 3 with rx 550 or 460/560 since the ryzen cores are more powerful then the cores of the current a12 or wait for theRyzen based APU's

kxuping

As you are going APU, check the video output connectors of the motherboards. Some motherboards have only one or two connectors. HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI. I dont remember seeing an AM4 with VGA. Check your monitor input.