6 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2018 11:47 PM by sebastianlang

Pixel walk and freesync flicker connection - Experiment

trnqt

There must have been a dozen of different threads about the cause of freesync flickering, and we seem to be no closer to a real solution.

An observation I made is that i can reproduce the same flicker as i get when using freesync as when using the moving inversion tests over at UFO Test. Take note that the flickering will occur even though freesync is turned off on the monitor (ill get to that). My current monitor is the samsung c27fg70.

Link: UFO Test: Framerates  and  UFO Test: Framerates

For those that experience freesync flicker, please test the two UFO links and see if you get the same flickering artifacts on your monitor. You might have to experiment with the settings.

Flickering exists on both gsync and freesync.

Gsync: The AOC AG352UCG VA Panel GSYNC Flicker Bug - YouTube @ 3:30

Freesync: Samsung CF791 Flickering in Freesync (Ultimate Engine) - YouTube  @ 1:00

My hypothesis is that the flickering issue is not inherent to either freesync or gsync but to irregularities caused by pixel walk and inversion artifacts that mess up the timings of adaptive sync.

Please experiment and would love your thoughts amdmatt

• Re: Pixel walk and freesync flicker connection - Experiment
          marcopico

Hello, I have been experiencing a lot of flickering issues with my new monitor (Asus MX34VQ, using Vega 64 as GPU).

I ran both tests and with the first one I get exactly the same flickering I get in most games (both with FreeSync turned on and with it turned off). As for the second test, I don't seem to get any particular flickering.

I have also watched the FreeSync video you posted and I do have exactly the same issue.

What do you think we should do now, just wait for AMD to fix the issue through a driver update? Any workaround?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              trnqt

Honestly i got no clue if the flickering is related to the pixel inversion thing but it seems that whatever conditions make your particular monitor spazz out have a direct effect on how freesync performs. I havent been able to find a workaround. There have been reports of the new vega cards remove the flickering but that can be related to higher fps and therefore less Hz fluctuations.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  marcopico

Well, I do have a Vega 64 and the flickering is still there, so I would exclude the possibility that Vega solves the issue.

Moreover, I get more flickering with games that reach the higher tip of the FreeSync spectrum (i.e. higher frame rates), like World of Warcraft.

I have spent three days looking for solutions over the internet, but still haven’t got a clue.

Inviato da iPhone

Il giorno 01 ott 2017, alle ore 01:30, trnqt <amd-external@jiveon.com> ha scritto:

Community

Re: Pixel walk and freesync flicker connection - Experiment

in Drivers & Software

Honestly i got no clue if the flickering is related to the pixel inversion thing but it seems that whatever conditions make your particular monitor spazz out have a direct effect on how freesync performs. I havent been able to find a workaround. There have been reports of the new vega cards remove the flickering but that can be related to higher fps and therefore less Hz fluctuations.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Community

SHARE THE LOVE! Help other developers by marking replies to your questions as Helpful or Correct. If you are the original question asker, you can mark replies as Helpful or Correct by:

Go to the message on Community (you’ll need to log in).

Click on either the Helpful Answer button or the Correct Answer button.

Pat yourself on the back! You’ve helped others who have the same question as you by telling them which replies are helpful and correct.

This email was sent by Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

>

acdsee

I'm flickering! ASUS MX34VQ with video card rx 560. You can't use technology. Here's a video:

https://youtu.be/8tEJ0SomxOA

https://youtu.be/cqdxQaF67fs

sebastianlang

I'm getting a very frustrating flickering, specially in brighter areas in games.

I tried the Inversion Uniformity Test and it's flashing a lot.

The moving image on the other test stutters a bit.

My setup:

Samsung LC27HG70 (144Hz, 1440p, Freesync Definitive engine ON)

ASUS RADEON RX 580 8GB