1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 28, 2017 8:31 AM by black_zion

New Rendering/Gaming build. Any comments or suggestions on what to change?

atomaszewski

Building a new pc piece by piece, putting a good investment so I can go with this pc for quite a while without having to change anything. Will use it for high definition architectural rendering, designing plus gaming. The specs I am aiming towards are -

CPU - AMD Threadripper 1950X

CPU COOLER - Enermax LiqTech TR4 360mm

MB - Gigabyte Aorus X399 Gaming 7

RAM - ADATA 2 x 16GB DDR4 3000MHz (will increase to 64 at start of next year and possibly 128 in the future)

HardDrive - Samsung 960 Evo + 2TB Toshiba

GPU -  GTX970 (temporary - will be Nvidia Volta in the future)

Case - Fractal Meshify C Tempered Glass

PS - Seasonic Prime 650W.

• Re: New Rendering/Gaming build. Any comments or suggestions on what to change?
          black_zion

I would go with the Samsung 960 Pro vs the 960 Evo, namely because of the longevity being 4x higher, important if you will be working in a professional environment, plus as it stands now on Amazon the 960 Evo 512gb is $234 while the 960 Pro is $289.99, a paltry difference for 4x the life plus a 5 year warranty vs a 3 year, and the higher speeds don't hurt either.

RAM wise I'd rather choose a more reputable manufacturer like G.Skill or Corsair.

Also personally I'd ditch the Tosh*tba drive and go with Seagate, though if it's just going to be for bulk storage, I'd ditch it entirely and go with a two bay NAS and RAID1.