14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2018 9:48 PM by black_zion

AMD FX-8350 Black Edition processor overheating, shutting down

keni

AMD FX-8350 Black Edition processor overheating, shutting down.

1. Processor:    FX-8350, 8-Core

2. Memory:       GSkill 2400, 32gbs RAM set at 1300 (Default)

3. Graphics:      EVGA GeForce GT 730, 4GB DDR3

4. PSU               Rosewill Gold 1,300 watt Lightening

5. CPU Cooler:  Corsair H110i 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler

6. Motherboard: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0

7. Fans:             4 Aerocool 140mm Dead Silent Fans (2 cooler exhaust; 2 front intake). 4 Cooler Master 120mm JetFlo fans (1 rear exhaust; 2 internal airflow; 1 bottom intake)

8. Case:            Cooler Master Cosmos SE

9: OPERATING SYSTEM: Linux Mint 18.2

System has run fine for over a year now at temps between 30C and 60C.

That said, the CPU temps started climbing above 70C and shutting down about 77C

according to PSENSOR, which reads hardware temps on some Linux systems.

1. If I enter BIOS, the CPU temps will climb until system shuts down. If the system is cold, I've about a minute or so time in BIOS before the shutdown.

2. If I let the Machine boot the OS (Linux Mint 18.2) it will idle for an hour or so and the temp will climb until it shuts down.

3. If I open Firefox, the system temps will climb within a minute or so to the shutdown point.

Dust isn't the problem.

The BIOS has been reloaded, the CMOS Battery removed, and jumper moved to clear it and both reinstalled. BIOS defaults are set.

The Thermal Paste between the pump and CPU was replaced with ArcticSilver 5 according to the instructions on ArcticSilver's website.

All cables are connected and seated properly.

No warning beeps on POST. LEDs that light during POST, turn off properly.

I intend to pull a EVGA 450 PSU out of my old machine and see if it makes a difference. Same with the Graphics card. But, in the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

• Re: AMD FX-8350 Black Edition processor overheating, shutting down
          black_zion

Sounds to me like either the pump is failing, you have an obstruction in the system, or a bit of air has managed to get in and is preventing proper circulation. I had a similar problem with my Corsair H105, though I could tell that it was pumping air by the sound.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              keni

Thank you for your suggestion, black_zion.  I'll install the AMD FX-8350 stock heat-sink, with a CoolerMaster fan on it, this afternoon and see it cures the problem and, if so, send the H110i GT back to Corsair as it's still within the five year warranty. It did make, I just recalled, a strange squeaking-like sound, of which I thought might be the pump, for about 30-seconds and then cleared up earlier on the day it started overheating a few hours later.

Might I inquire as to how you cured your H105's pumping air problem? I'm sure, besides myself, there are a few other curious people reading the thread.

black_zion

I filed a support ticket with Corsair and authorized an RMA. In the meantime I bought an H115i since the process does take a long time (you ship it to their RMA department in Texas, they send out the replacement from California), but they sent a brand new unit still in plastic wrap.

keni

black_zion,  I'm on the AMD FX-8350 machine at the moment. I removed the Corsair H110i GT this afternoon and installed the AMD stock heat-sink. It's been up for 36-minutes now and with Firefox, Dropbox and Thunderbird mail running.  PSENSOR shows temps between 13 C. and 20 C. with the average being about 15 C. I also reconnected the Blue Ray drive, the five additional drives other than the current boot drive (Yes, I can dual boot Win 7 Pro) and the two external backup drives.

So, I think your advice solved the overheating problem. So thanks again.

And thanks for the Heads up on the Corsair RMA process. The H110i GT will shortly be heading their way.

keni

black_zion, The entire warranty return time from Corsair on the faulty H-110i GT took 23 days to file a ticket with Corsair, obtain the RMA #,  pack and ship the faulty unit directly to their facility in Hayward, California and receive the replacement unit back from them. What was nice is that Corsair replaced the H110i GT with an H115i.   So I'm a happy camper.  The main thing is the system is just as stable as it was with the AMD factory heat-sink and running a bit cooler with 7-13 C. at an idle and a min of 5 C. and a max of 23 C. over the course of the past 1.20 hours. Thanks for your assistance too.

black_zion

Do like the H115i myself, except for the rigid tubes, was a pain in the rear  to fit into my Corsair C70, literally took about an hour to get in, though part of it was the design of the C70s top mount, but the cooling power is amazing. Make sure you download the Corsair LINK software, my fans don't even cross 50% under gaming loads and that's with the pump on the quiet mode. Is nice being able to hear yourself whisper.

keni

I'm quickly falling in love with the H115i myself too.  The machine's been on for  about  9 hours now. and the low temp's 3 C. and the High temp 26 C. with the current temp 8-13 C.  And I agree, it's a lot quieter than the H110i was.  It took about an hour to install it in my Cooler Master Cosmos SE (a mid tower). Namely because I have to mount it with the inlet and outlet tube to the left side of the case (rear).  This is because the case has three 5.5 inch front drive bays. The first you lose because of the radiator itself, the second has a blue ray drive in it and the third you can't use without removing internal drive bays. The blue ray drive prevents the  radiator from mounting to the front or right side of the case.  When you first mentioned the H115i, I looked it up online and told myself that it might not work in the case because it had the rigid tubes on the pump head. However it did, although the tubes themselves blocks the nice Corsair LED on the pump head a bit.

I'm booting on Linux at the moment.  I have to boot on Win 7 Pro to use Corsair link, which I need to control the pump head's led colors as well as the Corsair LED strips that are connected to a Corsair Mini Commander that controls the front two 140 mm intake fans and the four heat sensors about the case.  Once I set the LED strips with Corsair Link, they remain set even if booting with Linux. The four 120mm fans on rear exhaust, 2 on internal air flow and hd cooling, and bottom intake are controlled by the motherboard/ they are all running about 1,500 rpms at the moment. Did notice that MB temp 1, high up by the CPU, is running about 23 C with a high of 35C.  With the (faulty) H110i it would get up to 41-45 C. at times.

Also, although the Corsair Quick Start Manual, didn't mention it, but the H110i manual did as well as Corsair Support, I turned off the CPU fan in BIOS.  As you may know the Corsair H115i pump connects to the CPU_FAN header with a 3-pin plug.  Yet the fan leads coming off the pump are 4-pin as the Corsair high pressure fans are 4-pin PWM fans. So I guess the pump head is somehow controlling, what I believe is the RPM pin on the fans instead of the BIOS through the four pin CPU_FAN header.

Now if Corsair would make a Linux version of their Corsair Link software, I know a lot of Linux users who would be very happy campers.

black_zion

That's what my problem was, I use 2 DVD drives and getting them in there with the larger radiator was tricky, plus I had to run a new power cable so I'd have a spare connector for the H115. Mine tops out at 72°C under IBT maximum settings with the pump in performance, even with my slightly overclocked R7 1800X. As for fans I didn't trust Corsair's included fans, after the ungodly noise the ones on my H105 made, and I know what kind of a pain changing them while the radiator is installed is, so I went ahead and got me a pack of Corsair ML140, 140mm Premium Magnetic Levitation Fan (2-Pack) ( http://a.co/gZtZv8v ) wisper quiet.

keni

Changing the Corsair fans in the Cooler Master Cosmo SE case is pretty easy.  The radiator is mounted inside and to the top of the case. The fans are in a compartment just above it designed for fans.  So only need to remove the dust screen, one thumb screw to access them.  Then, if you only remove one fan at a time, and install a new one, the four screws in the other fan will hold the radiator in place, as the screws go through the fans, top of the case and into the radiator. Can't do push/pull as the 8-pin connector atop the motherboard prevents it.

Just checked out your link to the Corsair ML140, 140mm Premium Magnetic Levitation Fans.  Since they come in a Blue LED model at about $7 cheaper, I'll probably order a set to replace the stock H115i fans as I have a blue/black theme going. I am assuming that they are 4-pin PWM fans as one comment on the Amazon link said they were @ 1,600 rpm. And Amazon does often leave out such pertinent details. I believe the stock 140mm high pressure fans on the H115i are 2,000 rpm fans. But, Corsair's site shows some new High pressure PWM LED fans that recently came out and I want to research them a bit too before deciding as it's been a couple of years since I've been shopping for fans.

I do know that the whole system, with 9 total fans going is quite a lot quieter than it ever was with replace H110i installed.  I almost have to put my ear against the case to hear the fans.    Before, when the CPU temp shot  up, It sounded like a Ferrari, with exhaust dumps, floored in first gear.  I am quite pleased with how cool and quiet its running presently.

Need to reinstall Win 7 Pro to it's HD again as Widows was running so badly and crashing, often before it completely loaded that I just used the Linux terminal and ran: dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdb bs=1M to fill the drive with random characters. loll But the problem wasn't windows, it was the H110i.

keni

CorsairLinkWin.PNG

As you can see black_zion over all temps with the H115i running (In Win 7 Pro not Linux Mint 18.3) are between 23.8 and 30.0 C. and the AMD FX-8350 package is 10.5  C. which just about mimics the Core Temp values on the task bar of 11 C.

Also, stopped by Corsair's site and checked out the Corsair ML140, 140mm Premium Magnetic Levitation Fans you mentioned. They are also 2,000 rpm PWM fans like the stock 140s that came with the H115i.  A good replacement fan for sure. So going to order a pair with blue LEDs  here in a few days.  Thanks for the tip on them.

keni

black_zion  As an up date, I did install two Corsair ML140, Blue, 140mm Premium Magnetic Levitation Fans on the H115i. Liked them so well, and the brightness of the blue LEDs, that I ordered two more of them to replace the two front 140mm blue LED AeroCool intake fans as well as the levitation fans give much more blue light through the Cooler Master Cosmo SE case's front dust screen.  Also pulled out the four 120mm Cooler Master JetFlo blue fans and replaced them with Corsair 120mm blue fans for the same reason: brighter LEDs.   So thanks for the tip on the fans.

mistered

Note that:

* the H110i GT is made by CoolIT for Corsair

* the H115i is made by Asetek for Corsair

You can tell the difference by the shape of the water block. CoolIT has square water blocks while Asetek has round or eight sided water blocks.

I have been using a Corsair H60 (old style) with my FX-8350 for more than 5 years. It idles 15-20C. Under load it has never gone over 65C. It has never shut down because of overheating.

I have been using a Corsair H60 (new style) with my R7 1700X for 7 months now.

Since the Corsair H60 has a square water block it is apparent it was made by CoolIT.

keni

Thank you mistered for relaying the information on the manufactures of the H110i GT and the H115i. It is interesting.  I've pretty much fell in love with the H115i since installing it a few days ago. Since removing the defective H110i and replacing it with the AMD stock heat-sink and then the replacement H115i that Corsair sent, I've never seen this machine run as stable, as quiet and as cool as it is presently.  Which, as I said before, the H110i GT was probably defective since the day I installed it.  It's currently idles between 9-14 C. and hasn't been over 25 C. all day doing things that would have, with the H110i kicked it up to 55-65 C with the fans racing to cool it down.

It's basically set presently with the ASUS  M5A99FX PRO R2.0 motherboard's "Cool N' Quiet" settings and the GSKILL 2400 DDR3 (32Gbs) set at 1800 GHz, which is a speed the machine likes when not over-clocked.

Fact is, the H115i with the nine fans in the case are running so quietly here in my office that the silence is taking a bit to get used to.