13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2017 1:36 AM by daggerfall

GPU and memory clock stuck 17.9.2

daggerfall

No games are launched in this session, using firefox without hardware acceleration and Media Player Classic, GPU heating and have activity without reason. Once I noticed it when closed Skyrim after hour of gameplay, now it just video player.

Describe your system:

AMD Graphics Card

Radeon 7770 HD

Desktop or Laptop System

Desktop

Operating System

Windows 10 64bit 1703, updates

Driver version installed

17.9.2 Crimson

Display Devices

DVI Benq VW2220, 60Hz

Motherboard + Bios Revision

Gigabyte A88XMD3H F10

CPU/APU

Athlon II X4 840

Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage

Chieftech APS 550

RAM

8GB

Describe your issue:

Provide a detailed description of the issue you are experiencing and the steps required to reproduce the issue. - Start app what using GPU acceleration, when close it, GPU and memory clock stay 400/1150.

Details about applications/games affected (including version number) - Media Player Classic, Skyrim

Graphical settings used in the application/game (resolution and 3D settings) - default crimson settings

If possible, include a screenshot or video link of the issue - screenshot in attachment

• Re: GPU and memory clock stuck 17.9.2
          kingfish

I have read all your previous posts, and they seem to be all the same. Did none of the suggestions help?

Do you have any of these programs installed on your computer?

Afterburner

Trixx

Radeon Pro

Asus

MSI

daggerfall

No, no 3rd party software installed. Clean installation

kingfish

So what is the screenshot supposed to show? Did you look at the drop-down to see the highest value? Did you change any value in Wattman? Fans? Temperature? Clocks? Have you reset Wattman settings back to factory default?
                  Do you have the computer Power Plan set to "High Performance"...not 'balanced'? Do you have Wattman Power Limit set to +50 (or the highest + value...slider all the way to the right)?

Screenshot_1 (10).png

Screenshot_1 (16).png

daggerfall

screenshot.PNG

Have you reset Wattman settings back to factory default?
                      As I write above - default crimson settings. GPU-Z and Crimson showing different reading and both are high, defaults are 300/150.
                      Do you have the computer Power Plan set to "High Performance"...not 'balanced'?
                      balanced

kingfish

Set your computer power plan to performance. This will affect more than the graphics card....core parking, etc. > AMD graphics performance

Set your Wattman Power Plan to +20

Screenshot_1 (8).png

Did the previous drivers work? Have you tried reverting to them?

daggerfall

Set your computer power plan to performance. This will affect more than the graphics card....core parking, etc.

My current cpu it's a AMD A8 architecture, not vishera or bulldozer, I heard about core parking problem in win7 and it's fixed by some kbXXXXX. I do not understand how it's linked with my problem where clock are stay high after closing application what using GPU. I set to power plan to performance, will try to test, but it's driver bug.

To burnout video card? gpu voltage will increased I think, I do not like that idea, it's already stay high at idle.

Why on AMD nothing worked out of box? maybe I need to run cmd and recompile kernel and driver module like in linux? just joke...

kingfish

I don't think you are following me. Set your computer up correctly for gaming...then see what issues arise.

To burnout video card? gpu voltage will increased I think, I do not like that idea, it's already stay high at idle.

Did you even read the posts I linked you to? AMD graphics performance

IMPORTANT****** Windows 10 users

Windows 10 core parking (Core Parking Index) is controlled by the computer power plan. Setting the power plan to "High Performance" disables any core parking (all cores un-parked). Setting the computer power plan to "Balanced" or "Power Saving" parks any core with less than 5% usage.

IMPORTANT******Ryzen CPU users

Power Plans

Users may have heard that AMD recommends the High Performance power plan within Windows® 10 for the best performance on Ryzen, and indeed we do.

AMD also addressed power plans in Windows 10 and how they affect Ryzen processors. For the moment, the company recommends enabling the High Performance power plan to allow the SenseMI power and frequency management built into the processor to work properly. AMD says this is necessary for two reasons:

1. Core Parking OFF: Idle CPU cores are instantaneously available for thread scheduling. In contrast, the Balanced plan aggressively places idle CPU cores into low power states. This can cause additional latency when un-parking cores to accommodate varying loads.
                                  2. Fast frequency change: The AMD Ryzen processor can alter its voltage and frequency states in the 1ms intervals natively supported by the “Zen” architecture. In contrast, the Balanced plan may take longer for voltage and frequency (V/f) changes due to software participation in power state changes.

You never answered my question about previous driver either.

Anyhow, I'm done. Maybe someone can explain all this to you. Good luck.

daggerfall

Did you even read the posts I linked you to?AMD graphics performance

Did you read above what I'm talking about? Ok, it's disable throttling, useful information, but not in this situation...driver won't let gpu drop clocks to idle, it's not even close to throttle.

IMPORTANT****** Windows 10 users

Windows 10 core parking (Core Parking Index) is controlled by the computer power plan. Setting the power plan to "High Performance" disables any core parking (all cores un-parked). Setting the computer power plan to "Balanced" or "Power Saving" parks any core with less than 5% usage.
                                      Changed nothing. And read my configuration, I'm not at 'ryzen'
                                      You never answered my question about previous driver either.
                                      I'm not a beta tester, I'm waiting for stable driver over a year installing some versions on different systems and each of version have serious bugs which make PC unusable or unstable for some tasks. If we read official changelog/know issues (what gives more than nothing) where is no useful bugfixes in previous versions for such bug. I've tried 17.8.x tried 17.9.1, those version 17.9.2 contain fixes what I needed. So, No I didn't noticed, not checked GPU clock's until 17.9.2, it's so simple and must be out of box feature I start checking it when spoted what I have no hardware acceleration in browsers on amd cards. Simple features like this must work out of box it's obviously, I never have such stupid problems on same system but different vga from green company

disi

For me it was AMD Relive after the update to the driver:

Vega 64 GPU locks at high power usage (sometimes)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              daggerfall

Thank you for suggestion, will try to kill or uninstall relive.

daggerfall

I Know it's clearly driver bug like many others, but why fix only on Vega? Seems other cards not in priority and soon will be in legacy because they are too lazy to fix driver issues. I already replaced 2 amd cards for green one, that's last amd what I have problems with.

Fixed Issues

• The drop-down option to enable Enhanced Sync may be missing in Radeon Settings on Radeon RX Vega Series Graphics Products.
                                  • ReLive may cause higher idle clocks on the secondary Radeon RX Vega Series Graphics Product in a multi-GPU configuration on certain AMD Ryzen based systems.
                                  • Negative scaling in F1™ 2017 may be observed on Radeon RX 580 Series Graphics products in multi-GPU system configurations.