9 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2018 10:39 AM by yoshimatsu414

RX Vega 56 Not Reaching Advertised Boost Clock

tooqik

Hi,

I've recently purchased a Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 56 and have noticed that it won't reach the advertised boost clock of 1471 MHz when running either the Balanced or Turbo profiles from within Wattman. The highest clock speed I've seen is 1440 MHz, which while close is still under performing. This maximum clock is repeatable when running both the Heaven and Superposition benchmarks, as well as any 3DMark benchmarks.

Looking at the card temperatures, I'm seeing the core temperature max out around 70 degrees and the memory temperature around 80 degrees (both Celsius).

The card does have a lot of coil whine, although is more of a clicking than a whine when under stress, so I'm trying to determine whether this noise plus the inability to reach 1471 MHz is actually a fault or simply expected behaviour.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

• Re: RX Vega 56 Not Reaching Advertised Boost Clock
          kingfish

Do you have any third party graphics controls such as, Afterburner, Trixx, Asus, MSI, etc.? These conflict with Wattman settings and controls.

tooqik

I don't have any third party graphics applications installed at all.

kingfish

Computer power plan set to "high Performance"?

In Wattman, do you have the Power Limit set to +50 (or the highest + value...slider all the way to the right)?

AMD graphics performance

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      tooqik

Over the weekend I followed your advice and tried the benchmarks again with the power plans set to both AMD Ryzen Balanced and High Performance, unfortunately the results were almost identical each time.

I also took a look at the clock speeds after playing some games with the Turbo profile activated. What I discovered was the clocks were generally higher than those seen during the benchmark runs and the card is in fact reaching the advertised clock speed, as well as going higher in some instances; I saw a peak of 1493 MHz for some gaming runs. I'm now satisfied that the card is performing as expected although I did expect to see the higher clocks being reached in benchmark runs.

I then followed your second tip and set the profile in Wattman to Custom and adjusted the power limit to +50. After doing this I saw benchmark runs hitting clock speeds in the low 1500s pretty consistently.

Many thanks.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          yoshimatsu414

I know this is an old post but was just browsing the forums because I just bought a new Vega 56 and I was wondering if anyone was actually hitting the boost clocks. I do have a little experience with "overclocking" the newer AMD GPUs since I've had a RX 480 before. I put overclocking in quotes because it's more like, powerlimit management for these cards lol. I see you increased the Powerlimit but you're probably still are hitting that limit. Next thing you can do it start to undervolt the core the lowest amount you can.

I have a MSI Radeon Vega 56 Air Boost OC. Boost clock is 1622 but in actually, out of the box, I was hitting 1250 to to 1300. This is higher then the base clock but definitely lower than the boost. Yesterday, I increased the power limit to +50% and undervolted the core - 0.075 and now I'm hitting 1530mhz to 1570mhz depending on gaming and load. That's much better and it's a noticeable difference in framerate. Then you can OC the HBM for even more of a boost, I was able to get 910Mhz, these settings are pretty stable for me, I ran quite a few benches and plays some games for a while.

tooqik

I found that I rarely hit the advertised stock boost clocks when running benchmarks but would reach them when gaming.

Since my original post I've added a watercooler to the card and tweaked my settings. Currently I'm running the following which seems to get me the best results:

Core Clock:          State 6 Freq:     1577          State 6 Voltage:     1060

State 7 Freq:     1632          State 7 Voltage:     1125

Mem Clock:          State 3 Freq:     930

Voltage Control:     975

Power Limit:          +35%

With these settings I'm hitting around 1650 MHz on the core clock in games and around 1630 MHz in benchmarks. Pushing the power limit higher does let the core clock go higher, up around the 1680 MHz, but it's not stable and I haven't been able to find a voltage that it likes to keep it from crashing the driver.

yoshimatsu414

Ahh that's pretty nice.

I don't plan on adding a watercooler to it, I'd probably try to by a second Vega 56 before I do that. But I'll see if I can make the per state voltage changes like you did. As of right now I'm only using MSI afterburner which doesn't allow you to do that and also doesn't have HBM voltage control from what I can tell, so I'll mess around with Wattman. I didn't really want to mess with it because I've had silly stuff happen with Wattman in the past, like settings would just get set back to default after a reboot and I don't remember anything crashing.

This is a nice card though! I actually exchanged this card from a GTX 1080 I bought a couple weeks ago. Was able to actually grab on for about the same price, the Vega prices were ridiculous some weeks ago. I'm glad because now I get to use Freesync on my monitor and have the opportunity to now get a second card on my B350 board if I wanted too since doesn't support SLI. This card also handles VRAM overloading a lot better than the GTX 1080 and I have the HBCC off. In Rise of the Tomb Raider @ 4K and max texture for example, the 1080 was stuttering really bad, so I turned the texture down a notch and it was smooth. On this Vega 56 max Textures, smooth as butter.