4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2017 5:49 PM by darkwolfca

Suddenly... it was all RED!

daquteness

For a long time I've wanted this, and when I had it I hadn't even realized it was there. Has this ever happened to you?

Now that the waters have calmed down a bit, that the hype train has sort of left the station, that AMD can measure their success with the new Zen and Vega architectures, be they stumbling as it may at times, I was chatting about in Discord with fellow community members and while talking about tech and all things mostly AMD, it struck me: Colt is my first ever all-AMD build... Had the hardware since Sempron II and as far back as the ATI Rage gpu's, even owned the beautiful 7950 for a short while but had to sell it because I couldn't afford to pay for it in the end, just never at the same time in the same case.

Been so preoccupied by which motherboard to choose, which CPU to go with, what to put in the build, Vega wasn't out yet so I had to go with a top-end green team due to my work and mining craze over-inflated prices on RX400 and RX500 series. Vega FE came out finally, already had a very strong graphics card so wasn't going to stretch £1200 (FE launch price in the UK) for another. Saw the crazy stumbling launch and sure enough the RX Vega came out and was off the shelves in less than 10 minutes all over the world!

Given my work as a 3D artist and architect, I needed the PRO benefits and so, thanks to the infinite patience of one of your community's best (you know who you are), I went for a Vega FE... stretched £900 from a budget already at it's limit. Only to be followed by what can only count as the worst mood swings I've ever encountered from a pc component, with the AMD team stretched out to the max of their ability to support RX and prepare for WX9100 and SSG, unable to release any driver updates for the FE. Endless frustrations with unstable drivers, and entire evenings spent trying to find out what this card is capable of, only to later find the diamond in the dirt that's been hiding under yet immature drivers, absolutely smashing performance! When it actually decided it's a good day to be stable, of course... It trashed even more expensive pro green cards and I'm sure there's only upwards to go!

All this desperation that I've paid £900 for a card that is essentially yet under-developed in terms of stability, paired with some unfortunate events in my life, 14h work days and a ridiculously dark time for me, have pushed me to the edge of my sanity at times. But in the evenings, weekends, I come back home, sit down, and am honestly greeted by constructive debates on Discord, get to watch streams from great community members, get pointers on how to push the most out of my hardware, it's such a pleasant community to be a part of. Never had anything of the sort with the other companies, nothing short of brilliant to be part of the AMD community. I don't think I've ever seen a member trash-talk the competition, instead raising coherent and constructive arguments wherever knowledge permitted it - I'm an introvert, I don't like loud places, I love the comfort of my home and the solace of a hike.

One evening, while having a chilled chat with the ladies and gentlemen on AMD's Discord, I realized that I have actually built my first all AMD workstation ever... and with that I've realized that I have a beast of a 1080Ti FTW3 just sitting on the shelf unused because the Vega FE, despite all instabilities of the immature drivers and bad temper, quite simply surpasses the previous in what I need it for by as much as 20-25% at times. I have an £800 card just sitting there and am not even tempted to take it out of it's box anymore

I guess, where I'm going with this, is that I've found a community worth sticking to, that actually understand the meaning of "support". Maybe one day proudly be tagged with a plus but I don't even care about titles, I really don't, I'm surrounded daily by extremely rich people that have treated me and my team like scum because of an inferior rank title despite triple the experience and quality of the "titled" competition. Instead I truly care about the community, about seeking help and then offering it ten-fold. It's the people that make the community, not the titles. You'll have me around for as long as I can type and talk and will wear the red badge happy and proud!

I just thought I'd share my recent story, I would love to hear yours as well! It's not an introduction of myself and certainly not for benefits, if anybody wants to know me better just hit me up, I'm an open book It's simply an expose' of my recent experience, both at my desk, and away from it. I do have to apologize for not keeping up with Fan Art section, it's been a very hard time for me, I'll resume when I can gather whatever shards are left of my mind.

Proudly Red Team! With a shade of PRO blue

• Re: Suddenly... it was all RED!
          whiskey-foxtrot

You've touched on everything that has brought me closer to AMD and this community; from the woes and trubulations with new product launches starting in late 1990's, to the launch of Ryzen this year. It's hard to believe that this little gem of the internet has eluded me all those years; it was just happenstance that I actually saw the 'Community' link one day when downloading drivers on the main AMD website! This gem I speak of is this very community that isn't mentioned anywhere else, or it's well buried under pages of forum posts.

Dr-Lisa-Su-150x150.png

For years AMD has held a special place as the source for my enthusiasm in technology, and it just got stronger when I heard Mr Koduri speak about the Radeon RX 4xx launch in 2016; Imagine the emotions I felt when I saw Dr Su hold up a Ryzen CPU sample on Feb 21st of this year - it was simply overwhelming! I've never felt the need to belong to any specific community, but this was it - I needed more AMD in my life and I was ecstatic to have found a place in the Red Team.

What I've picked up over the years with most of AMD/ATI/Radeon products is that they may not always be plug-and-play, or plug-and-work as you will in our situations. I've had my share of frustrations with drivers on AIB boards up to the point where I almost gave up trying! But at the same time I also felt challenged, which is more than enough to keep me pushing for a solution. Come to think of it, it's been like that with almost every major product release for me. Being involved in running GPU/Compute render farms for data modelling and off-site rendering for 3rd parties, we've always been encouraged to use a combination of Intel/Nvidia and I've gladly let our Dell sales team  handle all our accounts as to avoid any downtime or major framework updates. No more - as of 2018 a gradual migration to full Pro/SSG and EPYC servers has been budgeted and planned. So not only do I have a full AMD house hold, but my core business solutions will also be 100% Red by mid to end 2018. This migration alone will save us about 30% off of our annual IT infrastructure budget with the added benefit of a MUCH smaller carbon footprint, and almost double the productivity!

I mentioned all this because I share your frustration on many levels, but I also find a great sense of fulfillment when I finally reach that point of, well success. It's as if AMD has challenged me and that's all I need to keep going. For now, I welcome you to the Red Team and if all works out I will see you with "Plus" next your name!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            ajlueke

Congrats on your first all red system!  It's always great to hear others passion for technology, and get bitten by the AMD bug.  I have had several "all red rigs" over the years.  Other than my Ryzen/Vega based Monolith build, my living room movie server currently runs on a FX8350/ASUS Sabertooth 990X  V1.0.  It was the motherboard/CPU combo that ran my Monolith PC before upgrading to Ryzen.  An RX 460 was added to complete the media playback setup.  That build has over 12 TB of storage space, and houses 1:1 rips of all my CDs/DVDs/Blu-rays.  It then sends these files all throughout the house on the Cat 6 cable network I installed.

Upstairs, I have an A10-7850k mITX build in a Wesena case.  The build is used primarily to watch Netflix/Hulu/Amazon upstairs and browse the web using the Razer Turret mobile mouse and keyboard.  It is also able to tap into the system downstairs and stream any of the media we own on disc.  I use the Kodi (XBMC) software for that purpose.

I set up similar systems for my parents using older hardware that was still working fine.  Their primary movie server and internet browser runs on a DDR2 based Phenom 940/HD 7750 system.  While the mITX build in their downstairs living room TV runs an A8-3870K Llano APU.  I'll try and get a few more of these into the rig showcase.

fzfanboy

Congrats! I just need an AMD GPU and I'm ready to go all RED as well. I have been a fan of AMD for years but have had team blue rigs, mainly laptops for the last 7 years. Ryzen came out this year right when I was looking for a new desktop build and all my dreams came true. i7 performance for the price of an i5. Ryzen has found a place in my heart and I could not be happier with it.

darkwolfca

congrats on your all read system and great story to go with it.