5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2017 10:04 AM by black_zion

OC'ing Ryzen 1600X: Voltage stays the same, no matter the value

sexydoor

I need some help on OC'ing my cpu

I have somewhat successfully oc my cpu to 4.0Ghz, but I can't seem to get the volt to where I want it.

I've tried using offsett mode, both negative and positive, and the volt stays exactly the same no matter what value I put it at.

The volt shows in Ai Suite and HWInfo is fluctuating  between 1.381 - 1.401.

I have read that alot of people are getting a stable OC at around 1.337 - 1.375. This is where I want to be at.

I tried to put in a value in manual mode, but doing that gives me 2.2ghz instead. I have read that this is somewhat "normal" ?

I've followed this video from Asus when I did my OC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBmVf0S4UDs

I have tried different LLC states and I have turned off Core Performance boost.

I don't know what to do. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thank you

Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

M/B: ASUS Prime X370-Pro (Latest Bios)

GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 ROG Strix Gaming

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 3200MHz 16GB CMU16GX4M2C3200C16R (Only using 3066MHz as my PC wont boot to Win if I go higher)

PSU: EVGA BQ 750W Hybrid Modular 80+ PSU

SSD: Corsair Force MP500 240GB M.2 PCIe SSD 3000/2400MB/s read/write

SSD: WD Blue 500GB 2.5" SSD SATA 3.0 545/525Mb/s read/write (using this drive dedicated to games only)

O/S: Win10 Home 64Bit

• Re: OC'ing Ryzen 1600X: Voltage stays the same, no matter the value
          black_zion

I've found that 39x100 1.375v (dropping to .7v under non gaming load) is the most stable for me, if I jump to 40x100 I have to increase to 1.4v, which is pretty common. Haven't experienced the problem with speed. When I had the X370-Pro for a very short time (could not stand the fan speed bug and the slow RAM issue) I was able to run the same speed and voltage. The X370-Pro, however, is a very picky board, and quite possibly the worst product ASUS ever created. Honestly I wouldn't worry about it, every chip is different, some take move voltage than others. The real performance boost for you would be to ditch that WD Blue drive and pick up a Samsung 850 Evo 512GB SSD for your games, as games are mostly random reads and writes of dozens to hundreds of files, not large sequential transfers like media.

Also, I love my Samsung 960 NVMe

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              sexydoor

Thank you for your reply

I know that I should be good at those voltages, but I just find it really strange that as soon as I set it it in offset mode, I get 1.381 even its technically at a much lower value.

I'm hoping that there is maybe some settings in the bios that might fix it. But I guess this might be another 370X-Pro bug.

Which mobo is the best for Ryzen, btw?

Also, what is bad with my WD drive for games? I don't know too much about ssd's, but it seems that the specs on the 850 Evo that you recommended is pretty much the same as my WD drive. Could you please tell me more about it and why I would see a performance boost? Would I see an increase in fps in games, for instance?

Thanks again

black_zion

The ASUS Crosshair VI, but I'm biased towards ASUS.

What you're looking at is the sequential transfer speed, which is when data is all contiguous and the read arm can follow a path along the track of the HDD platter. This happens when you're working with videos, archives, things like that. Games on the other hand load hundreds, if not thousands especially in the case of MMOs, of files, and all of those files are part of a single container, such as .dat, .big, .mix, .wad, and so on, so while the container file may be contiguous on the drive, the read arm is constantly zipping around like a chicken with its head cut off to pick up each file. SSDs on the other hand don't suffer from that problem as there is no read arm, it doesn't matter where the data is it can be accessed just as quickly, and since there are no moving parts the response time is a fraction of the time of an HDD. This is why games load everything  it can into RAM.

1 of 1 people found this helpful